2011 Rosters

SESbb30

i wanted to wait until i got close to finishing, but anyway, i am working on 2011 rosters. i did some calculating, and i estimated that it will take at the fastest about 4 months to finish this by myself. right now im just going through putting players on the right teams. if you have any idea of how to use mvp edit and want 2011 rosters and want to help speed this process up feel free to post and offer to help, because god knows i need it to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. again, i was just going to do this for myself, but decided theres alot of other people that would like 2011 rosters. but i DO need ALOT of help to get this done in a reasonable amount of time because im neck deep in college right now, and i only have about an hour a day of free time most of the time, so that doesnt leave me with alot of time to work on these. i decided to do this, because i wanted 2011 rosters bad enough, and also decided to start playing mvp again, i do have the drive to get this done, just not enough free time. if you want to or would be able to help in any way possible, scouting reports, roster moves, ect, feel free to post.

EDIT: I will wait to set lineups as long as i can, and will be doing stats based off of last season.

Teams that need to be done:

AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rays, Orioles - Playball335

AL Central: Royals, Twins, White Sox, Indians, Tigers - SESbb30

AL West: Rangers, Angles, Mariners, Athletics - SESbb30

NL East: Braves, Nationals, Phillies, Mets, Marlins - SESbb30

NL Central: Cardinals, Reds, Astros, Cubs, Brewers, Pirates - chrisgooverthere

NL West: Padres, Dodgers,Diamondbacks, Rockies Giants - chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Playball335

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wanted to wait until i got close to finishing, but anyway, i am working on 2011 rosters. i did some calculating, and i estimated that it will take at the fastest about 4 months to finish this by myself. right now im just going through putting players on the right teams. if you have any idea of how to use mvp edit and want 2011 rosters and want to help speed this process up feel free to post and offer to help, because god knows i need it to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. again, i was just going to do this for myself, but decided theres alot of other people that would like 2011 rosters. but i DO need ALOT of help to get this done in a reasonable amount of time because im neck deep in college right now, and i only have about an hour a day of free time most of the time, so that doesnt leave me with alot of time to work on these. i decided to do this, because i wanted 2011 rosters bad enough, and also decided to start playing mvp again, i do have the drive to get this done, just not enough free time. if you want to or would be able to help in any way possible, scouting reports, roster moves, ect, feel free to post.

I said in the MVP 11 thread that I would be willing to help with a roster, so if if want I could help out with a few teams. All I would need to know is how you are doing the ratings.

i didnt read that thread sorry roy lol. im not 100% sure right now how im goin to do ratings, im doing some "testing" with certain players like buster posey, and other players that have emerged as stars last season with dylans ratings calculators, and im doing some by eye i guess, but ill most likely use the ratings calculators for most of it, and make changes manually from there if needed.

Which teams are you doing? I could take care of the NL Central for ya. Like you, I have the drive, but not the time. Do you use MVP edit? I'll do the teams based on last year's stats and e-mail you the files . . .

EDIT: and like roy said, I would need to know how you're calculating ratings, so that we we can all be consistent

i already started off KG's 7.31 i only have the braves, yankees, and diamondbacks done but it would be easier to use hiheats like chris said, are those compatible with any models.big? i wasnt even aware that hiheat made rosters lol. and for the ratings it looks like ill be using dylans calculators *for the most part* and i do use MVPedit. at the moment im using MLB.com for the 40 man rosters, and baseball reference for stats. but i would also like to do all the minor leagues if possible also.

EDIT #3: ok, i guess ill go with hiheats rosters and restart tonight, i was planning on pullin an all nighter tonight anyway and working on the rosters all night, so if anyone would like to get started, first to reply will be first to edit, i would like by say 8 pm central time that you send the files to me so i can get crackin hardcore on these.

Also, if you are willing to help, post that you would help and ill make a list on the first post and make a list of what needs to be done.

I have almost finished the Brewers. When I'm finished, I'll e-mail you a team file, and start work on the Reds. However, like you said, its probably not a good idea decide upon the 25 man rosters just yet. Even though the Brewers have 23 of 25 active roster spots set, I'm not certain what Ron Roenike (the Brewer's manager) will settle on for the roster spots, rotation, and lineup. I'll keep my ear to the teams that I'm working on in order to make all of the last-minute adjustments between now and when we release the rosters.

I am optimistic about my ability to not only accurately assess and replicate all of the NL central teams (I follow that division devoutly), but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get all of the NL Central's minor leagues done as well.

While I think we should aim to release the roster 1-2 weeks before opening day, it might be a good idea to "demo" partial rosters in order to get feedback and check for errors.

WE NEED MORE HELP! It takes at least 3 hours to accurately formulate a 25 man roster, research the players and change their ratings. Doing this for all 30 teams and their minor league affiliates is an immense task, so support SESbb30 if you can.

Peace!

~Chris

hey roy would you be able to work on it for a little bit any time soon? im basically stuck in the library until about 6 or 7 tonight.

Sorry about that, I had to do something last night and I wasnt able to do anything.

I'll do the AL central tonight, and ill try to finish asap. :)

dont worry about it roy. im going to start the NL East. guys, when you get to a stopping point in your work send the teams your have done to my email, email me at rman216@hotmail.com. again, ratings arent priority for me atm, but if you want to go right ahead.

dont worry about it roy. im going to start the NL East. guys, when you get to a stopping point in your work send the teams your have done to my email, email me at rman216@hotmail.com. again, ratings arent priority for me atm, but if you want to go right ahead.

so are we redoing the ratings for players, or are we just doing ratings for new players? Both ways are fine, just need to know. :) Also, we are using hiheats as a base right?

yes, hiheat's rosters as the base, we'll make sure to give him full credit, along with everyone else who helped him compose his rosters.

I suppose it would be OK to leave the ratings alone, but I don't recommend it, as some players had monster 2009 seasons but not 2010 and vice vursa. Players who experienced drastic changes in performance include Zack Grienke, Tim Lincecum, and Jose Bautista. Therefore, what I'm going to do is adjust ratings to fit a perceived medium: not exactly in accord with 2010 stats, but leaning heavily upon 2011 predictions. This will allow greater accuracy for players expected to capitalize on their potential (like Buster Posey), players who have experienced a decline of speed and/or production with age (Johnny Damon/Bobby Abreu), and better temper the ratings of players who had monster or disastrous years (Jose Bautista, Pablo Sandoval).

Because I am devoted to calculating ratings which reflect a player's abilities, and not a particular year's production, I try to restrict myself to ratings adjustments of players/teams with which I am familiar. Hence, why I chose the NL Central.

~Chris

BTW, be careful with Dylan's calculators . . . they have a tendency to over-rate a pitcher's movement on his throws, seemingly giving almost every pitch a "15" rating if a pitcher has a 3.00 ERA or lower. I usually temper this by making sure a dominant pitcher has at least one dominant pitch, and consulting scouting reports to figure out which pitche(s) ought to be rated this way. You can find that web-site here: http://60ft6in.com/

Further, Baseball-reference is probably the most convenient place to find fielding, pitching, and batting stats and splits. http://www.baseball-reference.com/

I figure most of you guys already know this, but I post in case you didn't.

~Chris

EDIT: There is also Cot's Baseball contracts for reference as to how each player is signed. If he is in his arbitration years, I usually tack on another year to his contract length and slightly more than double his total salary. For all other players, I average out the total contract money over the contract length.

I embarked upon a similar project midway through last season. I was able to update MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, N.L. All-Stars, A.L. Future Stars, and N.L. Future Stars (not including attribute, appearance, or cyberface updates). But, like SESbb30, I ultimately determined that it was too large (and too dynamic) of a project to complete by myself in a timely manner (with college breathing down my neck).

I have posted a link to MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip (which contains a custom set of References and Rosters) below:

MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip (26 MB)

The custom set of References and Rosters are described in README.txt (in MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip) as follows:

1 ) /References

A ) attrib.xls

Glossary to qualify each parameter and possible value in attrib.dat with a description

B ) Cyberface (Sort by Cyberface).xls

List of MVP Baseball 2005 Cyberfaces sorted numberically by player's cyberface number

C ) Cyberface (Sort by Last Name).xls

List of MVP Baseball 2005 Cyberfaces sorted alphabetically (A to Z) by player's last name

D ) Organization.xls

List of URLs (for current rosters) for each club (MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, or Single-A) represented

2 ) /Rosters

A ) /F (July 17th, 2010)

2010 A.L. Future Stars and N.L. Future Stars (Not Complete)

as of July 17th, 2010

based on MVP Baseball 2005 (Stock), 7.2 for PS2, 7.31 Plus, and 2k10 to MVP rosters

B ) /MLB-AAA-AA-AS (July 17th, 2010)

2010 MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, and N.L. All-Stars (Complete)

as of July 17th, 2010

based on MVP Baseball 2005 (Stock), 7.2 for PS2, 7.31 Plus, and 2k10 to MVP rosters

C ) /MLB-AAA-AA-AS-F (July 17th, 2010)

2010 MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, N.L. All-Stars, A.L. Future Stars, and N.L. Future Stars (Not Complete)

/MLB-AAA-AA-AS-F (July 17th, 2010) = /MLB-AAA-AA-AS (July 17th, 2010) + /F (July 17th, 2010)

as of July 17th, 2010

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Can I jump in with you guys? I was going to handle the entire roster, but it may be too daunting of a task. Chris.... we had a guy use the Reds in our league this winter and ALL pitchers were tweaked for type and speed. Some players were adjusted but we limited it (I know Votto was done, probably Bruce too)....

And yes, we based it off of hiheat's roster. I also used these sources:

http://www.mlbdepthcharts.com/2009/02/spreadsheets-at-mlbdepthchartscom.html

http://www.fangraphs.com/players.aspx (for pitch types and current speeds, didn't touch movements though)

http://60ft6in.com/ (to round out pitch types and speeds and to see if any fastballers had movement on a pitch since otherwise all 4 seamers were "0") --- team links at the bottom, but some info. maybe be archival, so take a look.

** I think it's also important to test along the way, i.e., after importing a team each time.

Archived