• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 MarkB

MarkB

Omertà

• Contributors +
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

A new month is upon us and another baseball game is ready for all of you. And since it is the month of July and All Star Game time, I give you for your listening pleasure the 1956 All Star Game that was played at Griffith Stadium in Washington, DC on July 10th of that year.

National League Posted Image vs. American League Posted Image

National League Starting Lineup

Johnny Temple, Cincinnati 2B
Frank Robinson, Cincinnati LF
Stan Musial, St. Louis RF
Ken Boyer, St. Louis 3B
Gus Bell, Cincinnati CF
Dale Long, Pittsburgh 1B
Ed Bailey, Cincinnati C
Roy McMillan, Cincinnati SS
Bob Friend, Pittsburgh P

American League Starting Lineup

Harvey Kuenn, Detroit SS
Nellie Fox, Chicago 2B
Ted Williams, Boston LF
Mickey Mantle, New York CF
Yogi Berra, New York C
Al Kaline, Detroit RF
Mickey Vernon, Boston, 1B
George Kell, Baltimore 3B
Billy Pierce, Chicago P

Here is the RETROSHEET link for the game. A lot of Hall of Famers played in this game.

Griffith Stadium in Washington Posted Image

I do have one question about this game. I want to know why there were five Reds in the starting lineup? Cincinnati did have a good year in 1956 (Won 91, Lost 63) but finished in third place behind Brooklyn and Milwaukee.

This recording has no player introductions. It starts in the first inning when the leadoff hitter for the NL is at the plate, Johnny Temple. The game is broadcast from WGN in Chicago.

The 1956 All Star Game
Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.
Part 4.

Thanks again, Y4L. :)

I'll get the other ones I have - games 3, 4 and 5 of the 1949 World Series - up later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Christ, I totally forgot about this. I'll get them, and my next upload, the 1941 All-Star Game, uploaded tonight.

#22 MarkB

MarkB

Omertà

• Contributors +
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

Here we go.

After this week's Yankees @ Dodgers series, here's a time-warp back to 1949, with games 3, 4 and 5 of the '49 Fall Classic with the Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get a copy of games 1 and 2 to add to it.

History was made in game 5 of the series, with it being the first World Series game finished under artificial lights. With the '49 Dodgers roster featuring Roy Campanella, Duke Snider and some guy named Jackie Robinson, and the Yankees having Yogi Berra, Phil Rizzuto and Joe DiMaggio, it was definitely a matchup for the ages.

You can download it from here.

Also, the 1941 All-Star Game. The 9th mid-summer classic took place in Briggs Stadium in Detroit. With a list of perennial all-stars on the rosters, if you don't know many of the players in this one, you don't know baseball.

Download from here.

Enjoy!

#23 tigersfan1792

tigersfan1792

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

i really love to listen to these games, can't wait for august to come around :p

#24 MarkB

MarkB

Omertà

• Contributors +
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

Well, the last one I have right now is the 1948 All-Star Game, after that, I'm pretty much all out.

I should have the Yankees 2009 playoff games from WCBS within the next few days. I already have the ALDS and think the ALCS is done, just need to get the World Series downloaded.

#25 Yankee4Life

Yankee4Life

Legend

• Administrators
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Well, here we are. A new month is here and it's time for another baseball game on the radio. This month we see the New York Giants visit the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn. The date is August 31st, 1957 and this game was the middle game of the final three game series the Giants would ever play in Brooklyn.

New York Giants Posted Image vs Brooklyn Dodgers Posted Image

Retrosheet boxscore of the game.

Batteries: For the visiting Giants, righthander Al Worthington and catcher Valmy Thomas. For the hometown Dodgers, righthander Sal Maglie and catcher Johnny Roseboro.

Enjoy!

Part One.
Part Two.
Part Three.
Part Four.
Part Five.

Also, this month there is an added bonus. Here is the story of the 1967 Impossible Dream Boston Red Sox team. This is not a baseball game but it is a review of the 1967 Red Sox season narrarated by Ken Coleman that has a lot of highlights taken from the radio broadcasts. It's very well done. It is not that long to listen to because this was originally released on an LP record. In fact, here is the cover of the LP:

Posted Image

And, here is the LP...

1967 Red Sox Impossible Dream Season.

#26 MarkB

MarkB

Omertà

• Contributors +
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

Another All-Star game from me this month - this time, 1948. The 15th mid-summer classic from Sportsman's Park in St. Louis featured another bunch of big names - Johnny Mize, Stan Musial, Pee Wee Reese, Enos Slaughter, Yogi Berra, Joe DiMaggio, Walt Masterson and Ted Williams.

Download from here.

Enjoy!

#27 Yankee4Life

Yankee4Life

Legend

• Administrators
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

Here is the September edition of Baseball on the Radio at Mvpmods. This month features the famous game that decided the 1949 American League pennant between the visiting Boston Red Sox and the hometown New York Yankees. The date is October 2nd, 1949. The Red Sox were managed by Joe "Marse Joe" McCarthy and the Yankees by Casey Stengel, both of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Mel Allen, whom for years was the voice of the Yankees, handles play by play. Enjoy this game. It's an exciting one.

Boston Red Sox Posted Image vs. New York Yankees Posted Image

Retrosheet link.

Played in Yankee Stadium, the Bronx, New York

Posted Image

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

Yankee announcer Mel Allen
Posted Image

#28 MarkB

MarkB

Omertà

• Contributors +
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

Sweet, thanks Y4L! I'll be checking tomorrow to see if I have any left to upload. :lol:

#29 tigersfan1792

tigersfan1792

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

that's a good game to start off the new college year :)

#30 tebjr

tebjr

MVP

• Modders
  • 3,819 posts
  • Interests:Classic Baseball

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Here is a game I came across. I'm not sure how "available" this game is, but wanted to share it anyway.

This is Thurman Munson's final game from August 1, 1979. Here is the boxscore

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197908010.shtml

Download from here.

#31 Yankee4Life

Yankee4Life

Legend

• Administrators
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

Here is a game I came across. I'm not sure how "available" this game is, but wanted to share it anyway.

This is Thurman Munson's final game from August 1, 1979. Here is the boxscore

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197908010.shtml

Download from here.

Thank you for this. Now I just wish I could listen to the entire game of this. This was only 13 minutes and 3 seconds long and then that was that. At least I heard Jackson and Piniella homer against Chicago.

#32 Yankee4Life

Yankee4Life

Legend

• Administrators
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

The radio game for the month of October is a special one. It's from October 3rd, 1951 and it's the famous Bobby Thomson game that beat the Brooklyn Dodgers that year. Everyone is very familiar with this game and now for those of you who want it, you are going to have the entire game.

This broadcast that you will be listening to is from the Liberty Broadcasting System and the announcer is Gordon McLendon. This is the broadcast that the entire country heard. I am sure that many times you have heard the Russ Hodges radio call of Thomson's home run, but Hodges' call was only broadcast on the New York Giants radio network. The only reason why this call exists today is because a Dodger fan was recording the ninth inning of this game because he was so sure his Bums were going to win and he wanted to taunt the Giant fans that he knew the next day with the last few minutes of the Dodger victory. When the Giants came back to win this game, the poor guy was so stunned that he never turned off his recorder and Hodges' call was saved for future generations.

Listen to the opening remarks by Gordon McLendon here in this game. They are very prophetic.

Enjoy this game. It's one of the best.

Brooklyn Dodgers Posted Image vs. New York Giants Posted Image

Retrosheet link.

Game played at the Polo Grounds, New York, New York.

Posted Image

Announced by Gordon McLendon

Posted Image

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

#33 MarkB

MarkB

Omertà

• Contributors +
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Very nice, thanks Y4L!

I still have the '09 ALCS and World Series to upload, so when they're done, I'll post links to them.

#34 Yankee4Life

Yankee4Life

Legend

• Administrators
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:29 PM

The radio game for the month of November is from the fifth game of the 1956 World Series between the visiting Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees. It's the famous World Series perfect game by Don Larsen, which is presented to you in its entirety.

The date was October 8, 1956. Enjoy the game. And I also hoped that you enjoyed this monthly installment of classic baseball. Next month will be the final game posted here in this thread by me.

Thank you.

Brooklyn Dodgers Posted Image vs. New York Yankees Posted Image

Retrosheet Link

Game played at Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York

Posted Image

Don Larsen

Posted Image

Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.
Part 4.

#35 dennisjames71

dennisjames71

All-Star

• Modders
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Playing Guitars, Photography, Photo/Graphics Editing.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

Thanks a lot for these downloads Y4L. I've been re-watching the Ken Burn's Basebaal documentary lately and these radio broadcasts are a great addition to the experience. :clapping:

#36 MarkB

MarkB

Omertà

• Contributors +
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

Fantastic, thanks Y4L. I already have the video of this game, so the audio will be a great addition to the collection.

#37 Yankee4Life

Yankee4Life

Legend

• Administrators
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

Here we are folks. The radio game for the month of December. Posting these games here once a month really helped make this year fly by.

The game presented this month is game five of the 1948 World Series between the visiting Boston Braves and the Cleveland Indians. 86,288 baseball fans filled Cleveland's Municipal Stadium for this game. The starting pitcher for the hometown Indians was Bob Feller. He was opposed by Boston's Warren Sphan. Both pitchers are of course in the Hall of Fame now.

And that's all the information I am going to give you about this game. I hope you enjoy this game like you have enjoyed all the others in this series of monthly historical broadcasts. Although I have the suspicion that 99% of you have never once bothered to come in here to see what this thread was about since it obviously wasn't about the Playstation 3.

Boston Braves ogd5d9jg4ndgechk5j707ae.gif vs. Cleveland Indians 720i.gif

Retrosheet Link
1948 World Series Games and Boxscores.

Game played at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio
al07907lrg.jpg

Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.
Part 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users