Sandman

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

File Name: Total Classics *61

File Submitter: Sandman

File Submitted: 03 May 2006

File Updated: 09 Jul 2012

File Category: Total Conversion Mods

Version: 3.0

*61 was a very Special Season in Baseball History: Expansion had begun, Ruth's 60 home run record was broken (although with an " * ") and perhaps even more noticeable was the coming of the '60s ------ Yes, it was a Special Time in Baseball as well as a Special Time in America

"The M&M Boys" (Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris) became THE single most important story in the 1961 season as both New York Yankee teammates raced to beat Babe Ruth's single-season homerun record of sixty. After going head-to-head for several months, Mantle fell out of the race due to a serious hip infection that required hospitalization. Maris pressed on and finally topped "The Bambino" during the final game of the season with number 61* off Tracy Stallard of the Boston Red Sox.

-------------------------------------------

The Total Classics *61 mod brings you the sights and sounds of the 1961 baseball season. Besides rosters, portraits, uniforms and audios, the mod provides themed menu and loading screens, stadium select screens with actual stadium photos and correct 1960's era stadiums.

We hope this recreation of the 1961 Major League Baseball season brings enjoyment to both the seasoned veterans of our MVPMods family as well as the much younger members that would like to take a trip back to see what it was all like in those wonderful days of the very early '60s. This project is a mere continuation of the overall Total Classics phenomena which has taken hold here at MVPMods.

Much credit needs to be extended to the "Entire" Total Classics Team for creating such an interest in Oldtime Classic Baseball. We hope this project ignites a real interest in the recreation of entire seasons.

Much "Thanks" & "Appreciation" to the so many MVPModders that have contributed so much to the overall Total Classics experience and continue to do so today. This includes those Cyberface modders; Stadium modders; Uniform modders; Roster modders; Audio modders; Bats & Balls & ALL !!! To Everyone "Thanks so much for the Joy you have brought to so Many of Us!".

*61 Specific Credits:

Sandman: Portraits, Overlays, CTS, Theme Screens, Loading Screens, Uniforms, Logos, 1961 Jukebox Music, InGame Music

Hory: Complete 1961 Schedule, Correct Organization Alignment and Team Name announcing.

Stecropper: Rosters

FuzZ: "Leader of da Pak" a.k.a. Creator of the "Click to Classics" phenomena ............

Jim825: Installer

Our Special "Thanks" are extended to Thome for his discovery of how to do Flapless Helmets which are implemented throughout the *61 project.

*** I guess it is easy to see from above that this is truly a Sandman Work of Art - "Thanks Sandy" ****** but it's the Rosters that make the game -"Thanks Don"

Enjoy!

Don and Sandy

*** VERSION HISTORY ***

v3.0

1. Added OTBJoel's Legends from the Booth audio

2. Updated portraits

3. Updated rosters

v2.0

1. Uniforms reflecting the early '60s

2. Uniform Select Screens improved

3. Oldtime Stadiums aligned with proper teams

4. Stadium Select Screens added

5. All Pitchers now have their correct pitch types

6. Face additions

7. Audio additions

8. New Walkup Ditties

9. Minor adjustments to player ratings

10. All Star Teams now represented

11. New installer included

v1.0

Initial release

Click here to download this file

• 1 year later...

stecropper has updated Total Classics *61 and version 3.0 is now available. Changes include the following:

1. Added OTBJoel's Legends from the Booth audio

2. Updated portraits

3. Updated rosters

The obvious Major update to TC61* is the migration to Joel DeLeon's Legends from the Booth which significantly enhances the mod overall. Joel has done a magnificient job with Legends from the Booth.

Other much less significant changes to TC61* are:

1) All uniforms now reflect the correct stirrups such as either the Low or Medium versions. The American League Teams were dominantly still wearing the lower versions as several National League Teams began their movement to the Medium High style.

2) All Player Names on the back of Jerseys have been removed with the exception of the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox first placed Player Names on the back of their Road Jersey in 1960 and in '61 had them on both their home & road uniforms.

3) Several of the newer Stadium Mods have been added

4) A few face modifications.

Enjoy !

Don

The new version of this mod is perfect and it installs and plays flawlessly. I played an exhibition game tonight using the visiting Kansas City Athletics against the Cleveland Indians. Kansas City won 1 - 0 and the way they won it was a rarity for me in this game. On the first pitch of the game from Cleveland's Jim "Mudcat" Grant (15 - 9, 3.86 ERA in '61) shortstop Dick Howser hit a home run for a quick 1 - 0 KC lead. Pitcher Jim Archer (9 - 15, 3.20 in '61) made that stand up for 8 1/3 innings. Gerry Staley came on in the ninth to retire the final two Indians to preserve the shutout.

Cleveland threatened a few times, none more so than the seventh inning when they had the bases loaded and two out. But Archer fought back from a 2 - 0 count on Jimmy Piersall and got Piersall to line out to Howser at shortstop to end the inning. Archer was also greatly assisted by second baseman Jerry Lumpe, who made six spectacular diving plays in the field, three of which ended innings for Cleveland.

It was Kansas City's game, from the first pitch to the last.

Video: Jim Archer retires Jimmy Piersall in the seventh.

Screenshots:

Indians pitcher Jim Grant hits a seeing eye single off of shortstop Dick Howser's glove in the third inning.

Marv Throneberry singles up the middle for Kansas City in front of a packed house at Cleveland.

Mudcat Grant struck out six on the afternoon.

Johnny Temple hit it hard but had nothing to show for it. This was just a line drive that settled in center fielder Jimmy Piersall's glove and it did not advance any runners.

Jerry Lumpe adds to Cleveland's frustration as he makes a diving catch to end the bottom of the fifth inning. With one out and the bases loaded, Cleveland was looking for a big inning and instead they walked away with nothing.

Gerry Staley checks his outfielders before he turns around again to face Tito Francona, who represented Cleveland's last chance in today's game.

Catcher Heywood Sullivan bluffs a throw to first base in the ninth inning.

It's in the books now, a 1 - 0 win for the Athletics. With OTBJoel's audio mod and updated portraits and rosters, this mod is a sure fire keeper. Go download it today.

The obvious Major update to TC61* is the migration to Joel DeLeon's Legends from the Booth which significantly enhances the mod overall. Joel has done a magnificient job with Legends from the Booth.

Other much less significant changes to TC61* are:

1) All uniforms now reflect the correct stirrups such as either the Low or Medium versions. The American League Teams were dominantly still wearing the lower versions as several National League Teams began their movement to the Medium High style.

2) All Player Names on the back of Jerseys have been removed with the exception of the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox first placed Player Names on the back of their Road Jersey in 1960 and in '61 had them on both their home & road uniforms.

3) Several of the newer Stadium Mods have been added

4) A few face modifications.

Enjoy !

Don

Thanks so much for posting a detailed list of the updates to this already great mod. It's much appreciated. :hi:

When I start the game it crashes after the 61 screen. any idea what could be causing the issue. says something about the exe

Did you install the mod on top of a clean install of the game (in other words, not on top of another modded version)?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pelly,

Certainly the datafile is a major contributor to how the game plays in almost every aspect.

However, what you are experiencing isn't a hugh surprise to me based on extensive research/testing I have done into specifically Maris & Mantle's performances in TC61*.

To set a base with you I have completed 1 TC61* Season Dynasty and am into the 1st of September with my 2nd. I am solely a CPU vs CPU player and during the course of a Season I will play/view at least 1 game per scheduled day and sim the remaining games that day. During the course of a Season I normally play/view at minimum 12 games per team and for many teams that can be as high as 15-20+ games played/viewed within a complete Season. I switch between teams each day and try to balance off a teams number of home games vs road games during a season as well as try to use a balanced approach on which pitchers in the 5 man rotation appears in the games played/viewed.

In the real 1961 Season the Yankees averaged 1.48 Home Runs per game. In my 1st dynasty they averaged only 1.23 Homers per game in a Season where they ended up Winning the Penant and World Series by just edgeing out the Tigers by 1 game with a great late season surge. They bested the surprising Cardinals in the Series that season. In my ongoing 2nd dynasty they are averaging 1.14 homers per game while trailing the White Sox by 9.5 games after 135 game into the season going into September.

In the first Dynasty Mantle had 49 homers & Maris only 36. Going into September in the current dynasty Mantle has 39, Maris 28 & Elston Howard 37. Norm Cash leads the league with 41 presently.

So those are not the kind of #'s I would have expected either and thus the reason for my extensive investigation into this fact. My results proved to me that if I played Mantle & Maris in another home run friendly stadium like the LA Coliseum or the Jarry Park that the Expos are playing in within the TC69 mod versus Yankee Stadium (which I always thought was a left handed homer hitters dream park) they would each hit in the High 50's low 60's for home runs. I tried this because just like the homer run production by certain players seem low to me in Yankee Stadium as their home park other players home run totals seemed high to me when having other particular home parks. Thus my conclusion was that a player's ball park he plays in certainly impacts his home run production in either a positive or negative manner depending on the specific park. The Yankee stadium results did surprise me, however, as I mentioned earlier.

Another factor I tested extensively is that in Dynasty play the wind effect (such as random wind direction and velocity for each game) does not appear to work properly within the game itself. And from what I recall -- in Yankee Stadium during dynasty play the wind is always blowing toward left field which, if in fact is true from my research, then experiencing a lower home run total for lefties in Yankee Stadium makes sense to me and that is likely why I see Elston Howard having such good home run production in these dynasties while playing in Yankee Stadium. That is why now I always manually randomly set the wind direction prior to each game in dynasty play.

But all said and done you might want to try the datafile you are most accustomed to using as the TC61* Mod comes with Kumala's Final Version of his datafile.

Remember, this game is based on physics and if so and my findings regarding the wind direction bug is correct then Rog will likely never hit 61 in Yankee Stadium in this mod as he would never have in real life either if the wind had always been blowing from Right Field out to Left Field. This game never fails to amaze me and is by far the best engine I have ever seen in a baseball game.

Here are the Slider setting I use for all my dynasty's that use this particular datafile:

SLIDERS:

Datafile: Kumala’s Final

Difficulty: All-Star

Variable Strike Zone: On

Variable "Stuff": On

Blown Calls: On

User Pitch Meter Difficulty: 0

Pitch Speed: -6

CPU Pitcher Ball Rate: -20

User Pitcher Fatigue: -21

CPU Pitcher Fatigue: -21

User Pitch Control: 0

CPU Pitch Control: 0

Bullpen Fatigue Rate: 0

Bullpen Fatigue Grace: 0

User Batting Contact: 5

CPU Batting Contact: 5

User Batting Power: 17

CPU Batting Power: 17

User Bunting Ability: 43

CPU Bunting Ability: 43

User Foul Ball Frequency: 33

CPU Foul Ball Frequency: 33

CPU Swing Frequency: -34

User OF Speed (Manual): -2

User OF Speed (MVP): -2

CPU OF Speed: -2

User IF Speed (Manual): -12

User IF Speed (MVP): -12

CPU IF Speed: -12

User Throw Speed: -11

CPU Throw Speed: -11

User Throw Accuracy: -2

CPU Throw Accuracy: -2

User Catch Errors: 50

CPU Catch Errors: 50

User Dive Difficulty: 0

CPU Catch Effort: 2

User Baserunning Speed: 4

CPU Baserunning Speed: 4

User Runner Aggression: 0

CPU Runner Aggression: 0

User Runner Steal Speed: -3

CPU Runner Steal Speed: -3

User Runner Steal Delay: 4

CPU Runner Steal Delay: 4

CPU Steal Rate: -6

Runner Injury Frequency: -46

Pitcher Injury Frequency: -26

Batter Injury Frequency: -26

Fielder Injury Frequency: -32

Pitching MG Difference: 0

Hope this helps a bit,

Don

Hi Pelly,

Certainly the datafile is a major contributor to how the game plays in almost every aspect.

However, what you are experiencing isn't a hugh surprise to me based on extensive research/testing I have done into specifically Maris & Mantle's performances in TC61*.

Wow, thanks for the extremely detailed response. I did find a datafile that seems to be better, (don't know whose tough) but I haven't fooled with the wind speeds. I will try that the next time I play at Yankee Stadium. I will also try the Kumala datafile with your settings. I did notice that datafiles do not give the same results with all versions of modded games. Thanks a bunch!

Archived