speed, arm strength, etc. with the next release to make it even

more level

Will look at 'all' you mentioned

Remember this is a sim and is not perfect. But, it will be

even better for P4. thanks for the info

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark - I'll add my 2 cents (how many pence is that? :lol:) here. I created the '98 Yankees and '78 Dodgers last year for MVP2004 Total Classics. The way I did it was to use the Lahman Database. All of the slider settings (speed, etc.) came from this database. These rosters were then incorporated into MVP2005 Total Classics.

You're probably correct that there can be some tweaking done to these, but I wanted you to be aware of where the data came from in the first place.

Regarding the Crawfords, there is a pitcher named "Four Pitcher" as well. I spoke to whoever it was that created the roster (I think it was AlexTony or stecropper, but I could be wrong) and was told that it is very hard to find Negro League info with full rosters. I found this when I tried finding KC Monarch info on the web. That's why these two pitchers are here to fill out the rotation.

Regarding the uniforms in Total Classics, I don't believe that any of them are hi-res. Fuzz might have a better idea on this, however.

Great job overall and a big thank you for all the efforts from you guys on TC.

I made some adjustments to the Ron Guidry pitching parameters that IMHO make him more realistic. This is on the Yankees 1977 and 1978 teams.

First change his windup to the Petitte one as Guidry brought his hands together over his head during windup and had a very overhand delivery. Then raise the fastball velocity to 98, Slider velocity to 90, movement to 99 with 1-7 movement, and Change to 79 velocity wih 11-5 movement with 75.

This will give you a Ron Guidry in his prime when he was incredible. I remember the comparisons to Koufax during the '77-78 seasons. He was that good for a short time. He typically threw in the upper 90s during this time with a nasty 1-7 Slider. 25-3 record. Need I say more!

Ohh, one more thing. Guidry's stats within TC3 are the same for both '77 and '78 seasons. This needs to be corrected.

Thanks again guys.

Great job overall and a big thank you for all the efforts from you guys on TC.

I made some adjustments to the Ron Guidry pitching parameters that IMHO make him more realistic. This is on the Yankees 1977 and 1978 teams.

First change his windup to the Petitte one as Guidry brought his hands together over his head during windup and had a very overhand delivery. Then raise the fastball velocity to 98, Slider velocity to 90, movement to 99 with 1-7 movement, and Change to 79 velocity wih 11-5 movement with 75.

This will give you a Ron Guidry in his prime when he was incredible. I remember the comparisons to Koufax during the '77-78 seasons. He was that good for a short time. He typically threw in the upper 90s during this time with a nasty 1-7 Slider. 25-3 record. Need I say more!

Ohh, one more thing. Guidry's stats within TC3 are the same for both '77 and '78 seasons. This needs to be corrected.

Thanks again guys.

I remember those years very well. Guidry was 16-7 in 1977 and while he did well, it wasn't until the next year that he had his incredible 25-3, 1.74 ERA year. I would agree with your modifications for 1978 (and will incorporate them into TC4), but he wasn't quite as dominant the year before.

As far as the rosters, we were alerted that the '77 Yankees roster is actually the SAME as the '78 roster. This has already been corrected in the TC4 rosters I'm working on (thanks to capa2000).

Ok, take a look a this screen capture closely. You will see that on the 1950 National League Champion Philadelphia Phillies you have pitcher Jim Konstanty as a starting pitcher and Bubba Church as the closer. That is a huge mixup as Konstanty that year was Mr. Everything for the Phillies as he won the 1950 NL MVP when he went 16 - 7 with a 2.66 ERA and 22 saves. You can see the 1950 Phillies stats here at baseball reference.com

Ok, take a look a this screen capture closely. You will see that on the 1950 National League Champion Philadelphia Phillies you have pitcher Jim Konstanty as a starting pitcher and Bubba Church as the closer. That is a huge mixup as Konstanty that year was Mr. Everything for the Phillies as he won the 1950 NL MVP when he went 16 - 7 with a 2.66 ERA and 22 saves. You can see the 1950 Phillies stats here at baseball reference.com

Y4L - That makes sense. We'll fix this in TC4.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know. If it was in this thread I didn't see it. Recently I found this out because I played my first game with the '76 Tigers.

You wouldn't have known, because it wasn't posted. AlexTony and I swap e-mails a few times a day and he sends me portrait updates, roster tweaks, etc. One of the ones he sent me was for Fidrych's pitching style, changing it from "Generic 9" (submarine) to "Generic 8" (3/4 overhand).

• 1 month later...

Bringing this one back up, sorry! :lol:

Andy Pettitte on the 2000 Yankees - his fastball speed is set to 88, and I just played a game where he couldn't beat 86mph. I think his skin tone is a little too light as well, and Derek Jeter's is a shade or 2 too dark.

Thanks guys, looking forward to TC4! :D

I'm a huge fan of TC3 and i'd like to share with you guys the ratings and attributes system i use to make my players more realistic. I read a book called Lindy's scouting report that rates players on each of their tools, running, throwing, power etc...The rating scale is from 2-8, 8 being the best. Or 20-80 which is the real life ratings that mlb scouts give players to write scouting reports and compare players through different decades. What I did was convert the Mvp 2005 ratings to mirror the ratings Lyndy's uses. and i found out that more times than not that their rating systems are very similar. I found out that MVP 2005 ratings are based mostly on the players actual stats for that season and not so much on ability or potential. Where as the Lindy's scouting ratings are a combination of stats and projected player potential. So what i did was combine Mvp ratings and Lindy's ratings into one ratings system for offensive attributes like Avg vs lefties and power vs lefties etc... and on defensive, arm and running tools i only use the Lindy's ratings alone. I then simmed a couple of seasons and found that the players numbers are a lot more accurate. For example Jeter doesn't hit 28 to 34 homeruns anymore with these offensive ratings. He hits 18-24 homers a year now with these new ratings. And bats from .290 to .330.

This is the system i use:

LINDY'S MVP AVG HR'S

15. 80-----99----.399---60

14. 77-----95----.350---50

13. 75-----90----.325---40

12. 70-----85----.300---35

11. 65-----80----.290---30

10. 60-----75----.280---25

9. 55-----70----.270---20

8. 50-----65----.260---15

7. 47-----60----.250---12

6. 45-----55----.240---10

5. 40-----50----.230---- 8

4. 35-----45----.225---- 6

3. 30-----40----.220---- 4

2. 25-----35----.215---- 2

1. 20-----30----.210---- 0

So for example a player like Benji Molina who hit

.393 7hrs in 122 ab's vs lefties

.253 8hrs in 288 ab's vs righties

would have these ratings

vs lft vs rht

con: 97 con: 62

pow: 71 pow: 66

now Molina has 7 hrs in 122 ab's vs lefties. I calculate all the ratings by what they would do if given 600 at bats. So in this example Molina would have 34 hr's in 600 at bats. But we all know that over a long 162 game season Molina doesn't have 34 homerun power. So what i do is go to the players history of stats. And i find that Molina's best power year of total Homers is 14 hr's in 409 at bats in the year 2004. Which would be 21 homers in 600 at bats. So instead of giving him 34 homerun power against lefties i give him 21 homerun power which is equal to his best homerun power year and provides more realistic player stats and tendencies. So even thought Molina may only face a couple of lefties per year, he's not going to be a babe ruth every time he faces a lefty in the game. He'll be more Molina like.

For pitchers what i do is compare players stats and rate them similarly according to a pitcher already rated in 2004 MVP. For example:

1986 dwight gooden 2.84 era- 250 inn-197 hits-80wlk-200k's

2004 roger clemens 2.98 era- 214 inn- 169 hits-79wlk-218k's

In this case i'll give them similar ratings on every pitch but i would give Dwight a little more accuracy because he has less walks in 250inns and more stamina because he pitched more innings, but i'll make it so he may not strike out as many as Clemens since Clemens had more strike outs than Dwight. I might make the pitch movement a bit less on Dwight than Clemens would have on his pitches. Since Clemens struck out more.

Not sure if this'll help you guys at all but it has made my game more realistic and lots more fun. Thanks plenty for the great TC3 mod

Archived