Classic Games Tape/DVD Thread

tebjr

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Man, there are only a few things I want to find...a few select games from the Mariners 1995 season (including the whole ALDS), and any Mariner related things from 96, 97, 99, 2000, 2001, 2007, and any classic Griffey or Alvin Davis game from pre 1995. Unfortunately, we're basically Alaska to the rest of the country up here in Seattle.

I just found a VHS tape that I had in a closet that has a baseball game on it. It's the seventh game of the 1986 American League playoffs. California at Boston. Boston won it 8 - 1 to go on to the World Series. I recorded this game for a relative that had to work that night and had no access to a TV or radio. This guy wasn't a Angel or Red Sox fan, but he wanted to see this game anyways because he was the kind of person who had to see every playoff game every year. So, I did him this favor. I don't know why he gave this back to me because I only watched bits and pieces of this game when it actually was on, but he did.

Notes on this VHS game:

This was played on October 15th, 1986 in Boston. Roger Clemens won the game and John Candelaria lost it.

Gene Mauch was the Angel manager, Reggie Jackson was the DH in this game and the late Donnie Moore appeared in the 8th inning. Roger Clemens pitched seven innings for the win. Two Red Sox players hit home runs, Jim Rice and Dwight Evans.

Hardcore,

Have you saw this site yet? I just happened upon it.

http://www.goallinesoftware.com/goalline/t..._search_all.asp

Edit: I just saw some posts you made in the forums. You don't know how to add a collection to the database, do you?

You have to email the host to ask for permission. They use a special software and you have to log your collection through that.

You have to email the host to ask for permission. They use a special software and you have to log your collection through that.

Thanks. I got in touch with him this morning, and just got set up about 15 minutes ago.

You don't have yours on there, do you?

Which one of the Braves games were you looking for? We can make other deals for the other 2 later after you get your list up.

Pick the game and this is a done deal.

These are from VHS, right? How do you get them onto DVD? Do you use your PC or a DVD burner/VHS combo?

Yeah, they are from a VHS tape. I have a DVD/VHS combo. Will that be OK?

I'd like the 5/21 game. Horner homers twice.

Yeah, that's fine. How many DVDs does it usually take? It was a 3 hour game, which for me usually takes 2 DVDs.

The 85 games are only 1 DVD though, they came from someone else's source.

PM me your addy and I'll send the DVD out.

I'm new to all of this, and have only gotten a few games converted. At what speed do you want/like your games?

I'm new to all of this, and have only gotten a few games converted. At what speed do you want/like your games?

I use a PC to do all my converting, so I don't really know.

I would say that 1.5 hours per DVD is probably pushing it, with generally how poor VHS/DVD converters have in the way of MPEG2 encoders.

When I do it on the PC, I burn every game to a dual layer DVD (Cardinals games that is). That's roughly the equivalent of 2 DVDs and the quality is probably that of the original broadcast.

No, you can get it to fit. That's not the problem. You could get 8 hours to fit on a DVD if you wanted to. It's the quality that suffers though.

If you've watched the DVD and when there is motion on the screen if it turned out ok, then you should be fine.

I've just found that to keep broadcast quality, you have to keep the average bitrate above 6k with a ceiling of 9k. Anything less and you notice blocking and noise.

No, you can get it to fit. That's not the problem. You could get 8 hours to fit on a DVD if you wanted to. It's the quality that suffers though.

If you've watched the DVD and when there is motion on the screen if it turned out ok, then you should be fine.

I've just found that to keep broadcast quality, you have to keep the average bitrate above 6k with a ceiling of 9k. Anything less and you notice blocking and noise.

Gottcha. I've got a couple of DVDs that I haven't finalized yet, I'll play around with to see what works best before I convert the Cards game.

HC,

I was going through the game before I converted to see if there was any problems, and there's a spot in the top and bottom of the 8th where the picture isn't crystal clear. In the top of the inning, it's about a 3 to 5 minute spot, and in the bottom of the 8th, it's just a couple of seconds.

Thought I'd let you know.

Archived