Padres67

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's up to stecropper. He's the one developing TC1969. I know that he's taking his time, since he wants to get things right and he's also taking time to enjoy actually playing the game (with multiple classic dynasties running at once). TC1969 will be out when he feels it's ready.

One of the reasons I made TC1951 a "covert" project so that I could release it when I was ready and not raise expectations and disappoint people if it was not out on a certain date. I found that it was much more relaxing and I didn't feel as pressured to get it out. Also, since only a handful of people knew it was in development, there were no "Is it ready yet?" messages.

That's up to stecropper. He's the one developing TC1969. I know that he's taking his time, since he wants to get things right and he's also taking time to enjoy actually playing the game (with multiple classic dynasties running at once). TC1969 will be out when he feels it's ready.

One of the reasons I made TC1951 a "covert" project so that I could release it when I was ready and not raise expectations and disappoint people if it was not out on a certain date. I found that it was much more relaxing and I didn't feel as pressured to get it out. Also, since only a handful of people knew it was in development, there were no "Is it ready yet?" messages.

based on this experience, i'm thinking we should start keeping them all underground. much more productive, and a heck of a surprise when it's all done.

so you gotta admit now, did you have even an inkling of an idea it was coming?

I ruined it. He had no idea until about 2 weeks ago, when I broke the news just to him and the other staff members. So, boo on me, hope Braves and Forbes make up for it.

69 Expos

sit will be fun trying to beat the best teams

and trying for a 500 win percentage

i've check the lineup and thers not to much depth there

small ball

but i can always go back to the 94 season as a next dynasty so i dont get to depress ...... 69 the fans in mtl in those days where the best fans

in the world and just the game was enough to have a party everynight win or lose what an atmosphere,.,.,.peanuts

thanks for all the good work guys its so much fun

Well -

The Rosters now are 100% complete.

We are now just touching up uniforms because 1969 was the 100th Year anniversary of Major League Baseball and each team wore a 100th anniversary MLB Patch;

Checking & correcting all Team & Stadium announcements;

Making certain we have the best available Stadiums inplace;

Fine tuning the 1969 specific batter walk-up-ditties;

Creating our basic Theme for TC69 screens which is "When it Was A Game"

All else is done and we are actually testing out TC69 as we speak just to catch those little things that pop up.

Now with all that said I certainly believe and hope that it will be ready for release by the end of this Month.

Hope that helps,

Don

Sorry We don't have Jarry yet, but I figure you can use Colt and nobody will ever know the difference.

Sick's should be ready to go, and everything else is as good as it'll get for the moment. Make sure you grab the '78 version of San Diego Stadium rather than the stock Qualcomm version (it should not be enclosed), and also Oakland Coliseum without Mt. Davis. Candlestick is still being worked on in its new, unenclosed state, and the Big A should also be reasonably set.

Check the Classic Parks by Season thread sticked in this forum since it should be updated.

• 1 month later...

I am 60 games into this with the Reds. This was very well done. I especially love the Winston, Chevy, and Bud commercials between innings. I remember those as though it were yesterday. One correction that does need to be addressed, is the wild pitches by pitchers that throw the ball over 96 mph. For some odd reason the catchers miss them when they are high and tight or outside. I went in and adjusted some of them when I came across them. Veale, Jenkins, Decker, Gibson, Arrigo. I just shaved several numbers off the speed of the pitch and it worked fine. No more balls going to the backstop constantly throughout the game. This is a blast

Man I just lost a long typed explanation for what you are likely seeing. So this time I will be much shorter:

I had that experience of way too many passballs/wild pitches way back when I first started working on TC61* with Dick Radatz who I assigned a 100mph fastball. After a lot of testing I settled on 98mph as the point where that would not occur or at least seldom occur.

At least that is the case in my set up relative to the datafile being used; game setting/level & Sliders. Which I think all come into play on this issue. Things such as: Fielding set to Automatic in game options; CPU Catch Effort not being set too low (mine is at +7); I play on All Star Level and I only play CPU vs CPU games as I have no joystick or gamepad and wouldn't know how to use it if I did.

This game engine is truly amazing to me because the catcher's ratings for fielding and range also come into play with this issue from my testing.

Also it is worth noting that in the Original Rosters for MVP Baseball 2005 a few pitchers had 98mph fastballs and 1 (Greg Aquino with Arizona) had a 99mph fastball.

But regardless of all of that:

I just tested TC69 with Bob Gibson; Nolan Ryan (both have 98mph fastballs with decent control and they are the only ones with FBs as high as 98mph in TC69) and Arrigo who has a 93mph fastball but a fairly low fastball control rating of 53 but you mentioned him which had my curiosity up.

I had no passballs/wild pitches in 2 full games with these 3 pitchers and Gibson sometimes threw up to 102mph early in the game and around the corners high & tight and low in & out; and Ryan did the same reaching 101 on a couple times early. Arrigo never got pass 95mph --- plus I took Bench out as well just for good measure.

So I am OK with the 98mph as the max level I would assign any pitcher's fastball.

You might want to check those other factors I mentioned above.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I am really glad you are enjoying 1969. How are your Reds doing?

Don

Now that is weird that you are experiencing such with Maloney since he only has a 90mph fastball with fairly decent control rating of 74. Maloney threw much harder in his earlier years but by 1969 his velocity had dwindled considerably.

What datafile are you using?

42-19 W-L Record --- WoW You are doing really well with the future Big Red Machine.

Are you getting a good variety of scoring; hitting; errors; strikeout/walk type games?

How's my ole childhood friend Bob Didier, catcher for the Braves, doing? Now with that pitching staff of great knuckleballer Niekro and junk throwers like Reed, Stone & Upshaw passballs/wild pitches would not be out of the ordinary! I always felt sorry for Bob "HiYa" having to catch that staff his rookie season !

Thanks,

Don

I did a little more research into the problem you are experiencing and overlooked thus failed to mention to you that my Slider setting for Pitch Speed is set to -19. Now I actually did that to primarily reduce the # of home runs hit by those light hitting guys that seem to blast'em out a bit too often in this game (especially early in a season) but certainly that could be a reason for what you are seeing if your Pitch Speed Slider is set fairly high.

Interesting conversation that I would like to understand more about.

Thanks,

Don

Not sure about the data file. I have the pitch speed set at 50. It is more realistic for me to see the balls come in fast. I'm getting a good mix of homers/hits and walks/strikeouts. I like playing with this team because several of these guys played in San Diego in the PCL before they became a major league team in '69. I used to go to old Westgate Park in San Diego and watch them play as a kid. Lee May, Perez and Helms had a couple of great years before being called up. Maloney pitched in San Diego as well. I didn't realize you knew Didier as a kid.

Yep, "HiYa" (Bob) and I use to trade a lot of baseball cards. His collection was much superior to mine. His Dad was our High School Football coach before going to LSU as the Head Coach of the Freshman Football Team (they had those in those days). "HiYa" left us in the 8th grade and was an outstanding QB in High School while in Baton Rouge as well. His Dad was instrumental in turning me into a QB back in our hometown.

I actually went to LSU with intentions of playing baseball but after my 1st Football season there I really had a difficult time going to class and never made it to baseball the season so I ended up joining the Marines and that ended my quest for playing further. Although I did play several years for the Marines Western Pacific traveling team and actually played with Carlos May who was in the Marine Corp reserves while he was playing for the White Sox.

Not to mention "Hiya's" Dad (Mel Didier) was also a scout for the Milwaukee Braves at that time plus an All American Center at LSU in his younger days. He eventually became the Chief Scout of the Dodgers and later became the intial Personel Director for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He actually put that 1st D'Back draft class together that went to the World Series quicker than any other team ever that I know of.

"HiYa" and I always were the ones choosing sides for our Baseball Teams during our childhood. He was really a good Ball Player and I always knew he was a cut above me but I too had my dreams of playing professional baseball but still very much enjoyed following his career. That's certainly 1 major reason I like the 1969 season so much as he was their starting catcher during that his rookie season.

Thanks for the update on your season. I very much enjoy hearing about those things because we are always trying to improve on even the smallest aspects of these mods.

That Pitch Speed set at 50 certainly poses an issue for your excessive Passballs/Wild Pitches. At least we know the darn thing works !!!

Were you born in '55? I date all the way back to '48.

What is your favorite Baseball Season of All Time?

Enjoy & Keep in touch,

Don

What wonderful memories you have. Without the war maybe you would have made it to the bigs. I was born in '55. I always enjoyed the watching the game of the week probably in '67 or '68. The Padres became a big league team in '69 of course so I started paying even closer attention to the day to day results. I think the Padres were tied for first after 3 games with the Braves-then the bottom fell out on the way to a 52-110 record. I listened to the Padres games on the radio when they were in the PCL. Those were great memories. Thanks again for this great Mod, I enjoy being able to relive those years, even with it being a computer generated game. With this being the day that the Yanks play their final game at Yankee Stadium maybe I will have to play some games today with some of the teams that are available in the total classic or season mods. Any damage to your home from the hurricane. Poor Galveston. Some of those people will never be able to rebuild.

My last 3 days in the States before shipping out to Vietnam in '71 was spent attending 4 Padres home games. I remember thinking if I am going over there then at least before I go I am going to see as many MLB games as possible. I got there when the gates opened each day and stayed until they almost asked me to leave the Stadium. I saw the Astros & Giants play the Padres over those 3 days. Then when I packed up to get on that Silver Bird to fly over I made sure I had my Strat-O-Matic baseball game safely packed in my duffle bag with all that other military stuff. Great memories of those days !!!

Gustav did very minor damage to our home and businesses in New Orleans but we also have a home in Baton Rouge and it had a good bit of damage and it just got power back this past Monday. Ike really only did a lot of damage in the most southern low lyeing areas of Louisiana near the gulf coast. Southwest Louisiana toward the Galveston area was once again really hit hard as well.

I do feel for the North East Teas coast and Southwest Louisiana folks but had New Orleans experienced another storm even mildly similar to Katrina so soon after Katrina then I think it would have been really catastrophic for the rebuilding of this great & wonderfully unique City.

Take Care,

Don

Archived