Minimum RAM to get a good running game?

MissDCole

I have 1918 MB, am I going to need more, or has anyone else ran the game fine with what I have or less?

It should run good. I run mine with 1 gig. What type of graphics card do you have? Some take up additional RAM if there integrated.

I missed this thread originally, so here's some input;

If you have 1918MB of RAM available for Windows, there's a good chance you have 2GB of physical RAM in your system, your graphics card is using 128MB, and something else integrated on your motherboard is using 2MB. 1918MB+128MB+2MB = 2048MB, which equates to 2GB. 1GB does not equal 1 billion bytes, no matter what the PC stores or idiots at Geek Squad try to tell you.

Of more concern, though, would be your graphics core. If you have a terrible integrated graphics core, no matter how much RAM you feed it, it will still be terrible. If you're having any problems with stuttering or any graphical issues, you would want to look at upgrading your graphics card way before your RAM.

By comparison, MVP runs fine for me with 128MB, 256MB, 384MB and now, 768MB of RAM, as I used an AGP Radeon 9000 Pro card. It's not the best graphics card in the world, but you'd be hard pressed to find an expansion graphics card that's actually worse than an integrated one.

However, with all that said, if the game works fine for you just now, leave it as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

By the way, with your system shutting down during a game, did you try to turn it on again right away? If so, did it come on? If it didn't and you had to wait a minute or so to get it to start again, it's probably a heat issue, meaning that there probably isn't sufficient airflow inside your case. Adding an extra intake or exhaust fan should take care of it.

Archived