Mlb Pc 09 - Controller Issues

abhall

Here is the problem I'm having, maybe I've just missed it reading through all the threads, but I'm pretty sure I haven't found the answer I'm looking for quite yet. I've never played a 2K Sports game until now, so I have no idea how their 'history' with game mechanics works, controller setup and so on, if in fact there is such a thing. I've tried mapping a couple of different controllers (Saitek P880 & Logitech Dual Analog), and it seems to be pretty basic, but I'm finding that mapping one specific option effects another.

There are five screens to map:

Pitching

Batting

Fielding

Baserunning

Action Button/Key

If I start in the Pitching Screen, and assign Button 4 to Pitch Up, it automatically assigns Button 4 in the Batting Screen (Swing), Fielding Screen (Throw To Base Up), Baserunning Screen (Move Runner Up) and Action Button/Key Screen (RS Up). In other words, mapping a button in one screen affects an option in the other screens. Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, I'm not really sure. Just seems a little strange not to be able to map each individual Screen option, I'm not sure if I've seen this before.

Exactly and this is aweful you cannot map strategically anything for a particular part of the game because that will ruin other things. I notice you had PNC in the background so you do have the full-blown version and i thought this was only a demo limitiation omg...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loaded the game....Excellent visuals....Now if only I could do anything with my P880. The one button that does do something is the #8 button>>> "Pause". However, after a while flipping between Pause and No Pause gets to be a bit boring.

I'm not too thrilled about getting a pricey new controller for a $20 game. Maybe with some investigating there is a way to get the P880 to function with this game.

This is the EXACT same thing that happens to me with my P880. Only the pause (button 8) works. I've been changing the configurations, but still can't get any of the other buttons to work.

I have a logitech dual controller. It's works for every game I have but this one. Says that the game works with a dual analog controller......apparently not this game.....bummer!!! Must be time to put it on ebay and stick with the good game MVP 2005.

I have faith that someone will figure out a way to have this game recognize the P880 controller. It appears this is the controller many of us use for the MVP series.

Hopefully this game will recognize a controller other than the Xbox 360....Seems kinda silly to spend $40 to $50 for a controller to run a $20 game.

My somewhat logical mind refuses to accept that. :)

Got it. I'm not a Pro here, just trying to help, but I can only speak from the P990 control perspective. I get where you're coming from, I was having those same issues. And believe me, it took a minute to get the gist of it, but after I set my initial Pitching options I saved it. I was then able to go back in and by pressing on my #8 button (RT), I was then able to use that button to cycle through each mode and map each key. I could be wrong, but I think if you don't save it the pads read it as you're changing the very keys you just assigned.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one of your controller buttons should allow you to cycle to each mode after the initial mapping.

I am familiar with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, but that's used for my Flight sims.

I'll take a peek again later, but I'll digress to the professionals now.

good luck!

Each time I changed a particular set of options (pitching, batting, baserunning, etc.), I saved the changes before moving onto the next screen. Despite doing this, I still experienced the problem that JoeRudi illustrated.

I think it's meant to be this way, Jim. Hitting, Pitching and Fielding are all meant to be done with the Analog Stick it seems. To my surprise, it's working out quite well, and actually very smooth.

As far as setting the controls, once they're done right, each screen seems to 'coincide' with the other, or at least that's what it appears to be.

Just finished playing a game with the Cordless Rumblepad 2 with no problems. Just went in to "Control Setup" assigned the same exact buttons my Logitech Dual Action Controller was using and saved it. We'll see what happens when I play again.

Took me half the night but I finally got my logitech dual analog to work and actually play a game....lol. Pretty cool game I might add....love the announcing....gonna take awhile to get used to fielding, always used automatic fielding with mvp 2005.

Finally got my cordless rumblepad working. Turns out that if I started a game using the keyboard or mouse, then the pad wasn't recognized correctly. If I started the game using the buttons on the pad then it worked. Don't know if the same trick will help the other controller problems or not.

O.K....O.K.....I have been defeated by a computer!....Gag!

Has anybody figured out configurations to use for the Saitek P880?

I have spent the better part of 2 hours and I have to admit, I obviously am not smart enough to program the P880 by myself. The only thing I have been able to do after all this time is to hold down button 9 (RS) to lock in the batter for hitting and hold down button 10 (LS) for swinging.

After awhile practice hitting gets kinda boring.

Anyone able to configure the 880 for use in this game?

Well, I've spent hours in the control panel trying to set up my Logitech Wingman Rumblepad (corded). I had been able to adjust some settings, not that they worked, I still haven't been able to set and swing at a pitch. I started over to set everything a bit more logically and now I don't even get the command message to "enter command" or whatever, that field is just blank. My inputs aren't taking. This is really getting frustrating. Thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that gets me back to where I can enter controls.

Any advice would be appreciated. And any screenshots of how you more experienced guys have set up a similar controller would help too.

This is a frustrating start to owning this game! At least the thing installed!

O.K....O.K.....I have been defeated by a computer!....Gag!

Has anybody figured out configurations to use for the Saitek P880?

I have spent the better part of 2 hours and I have to admit, I obviously am not smart enough to program the P880 by myself. The only thing I have been able to do after all this time is to hold down button 9 (RS) to lock in the batter for hitting and hold down button 10 (LS) for swinging.

After awhile practice hitting gets kinda boring.

Anyone able to configure the 880 for use in this game?

Look at this post: http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?s=&sh...st&p=554186

I followed the described setup (which is actually for a Logitech Dual Action Controller) and I was able to use my P880. Now be aware that you won't be playing the game with buttons like you do with MVP. With this game, you have to use the sticks. I was able to get pitching to work, and batting worked, although my timing is off (I swing too early or too late) and I haven't been able to make contact with the ball yet.

Throwing to bases is also a challenge, since the buttons by default don't map to the diamond like they do in MVP.

I think it will just take time to get used to the controls, but the P880 will work. The tricky part will be "unlearning" the controls when I want to go back to play MVP. :D

Throwing to bases is also a challenge, since the buttons by default don't map to the diamond like they do in MVP.

I think it will just take time to get used to the controls, but the P880 will work. The tricky part will be "unlearning" the controls when I want to go back to play MVP. :D

Can't you just map the diamond the old way?

Can't you just map the diamond the old way?

Are you talking about the in-game controls? I can do that on the fielding control screen, but I'm not sure what effect that will have on the other controls (batting, pitching, baserunning). As you've probably read, the controls seem to be related from screen to screen.

Well, I've spent hours in the control panel trying to set up my Logitech Wingman Rumblepad (corded). I had been able to adjust some settings, not that they worked, I still haven't been able to set and swing at a pitch. I started over to set everything a bit more logically and now I don't even get the command message to "enter command" or whatever, that field is just blank. My inputs aren't taking. This is really getting frustrating. Thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that gets me back to where I can enter controls.

Any advice would be appreciated. And any screenshots of how you more experienced guys have set up a similar controller would help too.

This is a frustrating start to owning this game! At least the thing installed!

Ok I googled your LWR and it's pretty close to what I have. This may or may not work, again I'm only basing my knowledge with what I have. I would go in the properties of the device (vice control panel) and do a test. Making sure each button is working. Also while doing that I would log down which buttons jive with each other...ie, 1=1, 2=2, etc. This way when you go to controller setup in the game you'll know which buttons you're mapping exactly, and you can correlate those to the device. You should see your device in the panel indicating that the system is actually reading the pad. Of the six buttons (on the right of your pad) 4 of them should correlate to a baseball diamond (top=2nd, left=3rd, right=1st, down=home plate) someone mentioned this earlier. You may have done this, but always save the setup before moving on (initially), if you don't save it, you might lose it and have to start over.

Keep in mind that EVERY button can be mapped, you just have to remember which is which, and the game has the possibility of using every key on your pad, if this is what you desire.

Good luck.

man, I can't seem to get my controller to work with the demo. Before the game I setup my controller, but I can't even assign a button to swing -- it will just say Axis Z Positive (or something to that effect). I can pause the game, and I can move the fielders, but they all throw home automatically as soon as they get the ball. Pitching also seems to go automatically -- I try to set a pitch location, but the pitcher just goes into his motion and throws a fastball down the middle. At first I thought it was my controller, but after checking the calibration everything seemed to be okay.

I'm using the Logitech wingman cordless btw.

I only have the demo(should get the full game tomorrow). and after several attemt i got batting and pitching to work with saitek p880. But in the controller option i can only change batting, the other ones am i unable to change.

Does other have the same problem with that?

Forgive a noobie, but I am brand new to PC gaming and don't really know much about it. Would I be able to use a Ps3 controller to play the PC version of 2K9? I rented it for Ps3, and it is horrific. So I am thinking about getting it for my computer since you can mod a bunch of things that aren't possible on the console version.

Archived