You As A Gm

Habs33

Hey guys,

I am 24 games into my franchise as the Jays. I am currently 15-9 after splitting a 4 game series with the lowly Royals.

I was curious if you guys stick to "real" rosters or do you make trades, free agents signings?

I usually try to stick to the real roster over the years I have played but thought I would play around some withthis game. I will have to re-check my stats but I signed Adam Dunn about 17 games back and he has been a monster for me. He has hit 15 homers for me. I do use the left stick some but am trying not to as much lately.

I also just signed James(former Atlanta pitcher) to a 3 year deal worth $1 09M a season. He is only 27 and a pretty good price so I thought I would give him a try.

I will see how I make out as Rios ran intothe wall trying to get a foul ball and he hurt his wrist and is our 4-6 months :( I will see if the roster holds up without him.

I am having great fun with the game and do not see a lot of problems that would "ruin" the game.

Jamie

I normally stick to the real rosters when plaing MVP, but I saw Murk Mulder on the wire for 909k a year...how could I pass that up? Granted his ratings are down, but I'll use him as a LR, and maybe he can make ComeBack Player of the year. But back to your point I don't see anything wrong with filling needs in your squad, judging from my short time with the game you are gonna have some injuries, some of them season or near season ending.

i love to trade and shift players, but i try to keep it fair as possible.

playing with bosox i traded mike lowell and j.d drew for prince fielder, traded three solid prospects for saltalamachia, and then traded penny for michael bourn and a pitching prospect to get some speed.

also signed pedro for one year to fill penny's place.

i'll probably need to sign one sp in the offseason couse i have smoltz, wakefield and pedro on my roster.

I don't make many trades unless its to try and bring in some young talent for the future. I just signed Odalis Perez to get rid of carlos silva in my M's franchise, I acually turn the trades off until about 3 weeks before the deadline because I've seen some pretty reckless trades bein made. I like to try and build with what I have though.

Hey Morneau...them are fighting words...even though I know they suck :)

Off to a good start but the pitching will put an end to that soon enough. Listch is already on the DL.

Thanks for the responses guys. Was just curious.

Off to play a game or two now.

Jamie

Hey Morneau...them are fighting words...even though I know they suck :)

Off to a good start but the pitching will put an end to that soon enough. Listch is already on the DL.

Thanks for the responses guys. Was just curious.

Off to play a game or two now.

Jamie

lol haha i love the jays n always will no matter how much they suck

I don't make many trades unless its to try and bring in some young talent for the future. I just signed Odalis Perez to get rid of carlos silva in my M's franchise, I acually turn the trades off until about 3 weeks before the deadline because I've seen some pretty reckless trades bein made. I like to try and build with what I have though.

I do the same in mvp, keep trades of until July 15th, because it icks me off when the cpu trades a steve finley for a brian mccann

as far as me making trades, I will wait for offers (i wont make offers for major league talent), and I put a cap on moves I will make in a given season.

Trade Rios for a SS and put Snider at RF. He did real well for me.

Dump Rolen like he has the plague. Lots of younger talent at 3B (Alex Gordon maybe?).

... And God please don't strike me dead for saying it ... maybe package up Halladay for a couple of above average starters. /flees

i love to trade and shift players, but i try to keep it fair as possible.

playing with bosox i traded mike lowell and j.d drew for prince fielder, traded three solid prospects for saltalamachia, and then traded penny for michael bourn and a pitching prospect to get some speed.

also signed pedro for one year to fill penny's place.

i'll probably need to sign one sp in the offseason couse i have smoltz, wakefield and pedro on my roster.

The BOS-MIL deal are the types I try to avoid (even if the AI accepts them) b/c there's no way MIL would take on that much payroll while trading away the young centerpiece of their lineup.

But, I realize everyone does things differently.

I also try to avoid doing other things that real MLB teams wouldn't do ... like trying to trade for Florida's young pitchers by offering middle-aged player with equal over ratings, but much higher payroll.

It's sometimes a tough balance in trying to obtain players you want on your team for your enjoyment, making your team better, while staying somewhat true to the game. Still, who wouldn;ve thought that FLA would trade Willis and Cabrera ... and actually get the better end of the deal?

The BOS-MIL deal are the types I try to avoid (even if the AI accepts them) b/c there's no way MIL would take on that much payroll while trading away the young centerpiece of their lineup.

But, I realize everyone does things differently.

I also try to avoid doing other things that real MLB teams wouldn't do ... like trying to trade for Florida's young pitchers by offering middle-aged player with equal over ratings, but much higher payroll.

It's sometimes a tough balance in trying to obtain players you want on your team for your enjoyment, making your team better, while staying somewhat true to the game. Still, who wouldn;ve thought that FLA would trade Willis and Cabrera ... and actually get the better end of the deal?

you are right. i traded three of my prospects for one of their old and useless players in aa to make it right. ai trading is really dumb, i could've got pujols for drew, lowell and penny... or wright for drew, lowell and a prospect. or cabrera... or lincecum... or any player.

you are right. i traded three of my prospects for one of their old and useless players in aa to make it right. ai trading is really dumb, i could've got pujols for drew, lowell and penny... or wright for drew, lowell and a prospect. or cabrera... or lincecum... or any player.

This is where it would be nice to have GM/manager slider (such as Tony LaRussa series, I believe), where teams have a slant towards younger or veteran players, tight or loose budgets, focus on pitching, speed, defense, etc. THat would be a lot ot ask for a game, but would be a welcome addition for realism.

Like you did, when I feel guilty about something I try to make it right with a "compensation trade".

It is very difficult because sometimes teams will trade their "untradable players" if say, they are in the last year of their contract, and they know they won't be able to sign them (Cleveland and CC for example).

Trade Rios for a SS and put Snider at RF. He did real well for me.

Dump Rolen like he has the plague. Lots of younger talent at 3B (Alex Gordon maybe?).

... And God please don't strike me dead for saying it ... maybe package up Halladay for a couple of above average starters. /flees

lol haha now why would anyone trade halladay..

btw interesting u mentioned this cuz the first thing i did when i started my franchise WAS trade rolen and i think jose bautista for gordon..

lol haha now why would anyone trade halladay..

Well sir, the way I see it the Jays have one excellent starter and 4 average to below-average ones. For the sake of argument, let's say Halladay has an awesome year and wins 25 games. Now, average to above-average starters are usually good for around 10-14 wins a season. So, for grins, let's say the other 4 guys all get 12 wins each and the bullpen combines for 12-15 wins. You're looking at 85-90 combined wins. That's real good, but definitely not enough to win the east and probably not enough for the wild card.

So, now let's say you take Halladay and a couple of the lesser guys and upgrade the staff to several above-average to very-good starters (maybe rape the Rays starting rotation :p ). Maybe you pick up 2 guys who can win 16-22 and another guy who can win 12-16. Now you have a staff that could win anywhere from 85 all the way up to 100 possibly. That's the kind of rotation that can get you in the playoffs.

hm not sure if anyone would be willing to give up a 20 game winner and a 15 game winner that easily..if they do they'd prolly have personality issues or is in hteir last year of contract, nearing retirement, etc...

and for the jays i don't think they'd be too willing to trade their franchise player (especially when halladay draws 10 000 more fans to the game when hes pitching). basically the only player in the team that has a shot of winning any kinds of awards or is recognized by other teams in the league. rolen was one but not anymore and im not sure ppl outside of canada who are not a jays fan (which is proly everyone) knows anyone on the team other than halladay and perhaps wells

hm not sure if anyone would be willing to give up a 20 game winner and a 15 game winner that easily..if they do they'd prolly have personality issues or is in hteir last year of contract, nearing retirement, etc...

and for the jays i don't think they'd be too willing to trade their franchise player (especially when halladay draws 10 000 more fans to the game when hes pitching). basically the only player in the team that has a shot of winning any kinds of awards or is recognized by other teams in the league. rolen was one but not anymore and im not sure ppl outside of canada who are not a jays fan (which is proly everyone) knows anyone on the team other than halladay and perhaps wells

You're confusing reality for the game. In reality, you'd have to be off your nut to trade Halladay. In the game, however, all bets are off and the GM AI isn't the sharpest tack in the box.

I say take what you can get and the other guys team be damned. ;)

Living near Toronto I have seen many a Jays games. Halladay is the most calm pitcher I have ever seen. He can give up 5 runs in the second inning and settle down to finish a CG.

My main concern with Halladay is the accumalation of early season innings and complete games that he racks up. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4 man rotation and the workhorses, but not many of today's pitcher's seem to be able to take it consistently. The early season complete games bother me than do the innings. To this point he has. Every pitcher gets a major injury if they pitch long enough, I just don't want to see him "Chris Carpenter".

I wish more people were able to see Halladay pitch, but lots of times he's lost in Canada. He is a man amongst men.

I wish more people were able to see Halladay pitch, but lots of times he's lost in Canada. He is a man amongst men.

Don't worry, I think he only has 2 years left on his contract and thanks to Sabathia, I'm sure he'll want want way more than Ted is willing to part with.

Thus, it could be as soon as July of '10 he's with an American team.

Archived