Trying To Improve Caps Look

Umachines

Hi, guys. Long time without seeing you. I just wanted to tell you I'm Alive and kicking, for those who still remember me. It's true I haven't been active in MVPmods forums, but I'm right now one of MVP Caribe team modders, and I'm the responsable for most of that mod's uniforms and the menu look changes.

Well, like most of us, I'm very interested en MLB 2k9, and I'm very exited about what can be done in the modding comunity with this game. I think there is a lot of potential in this game, but like many of the modders over there, I also think there are several details in the default files. My first goal with 2k9 is trying to improve the way those caps look, and I guess I've got some good results so far. Good enough to dare to call your attention a while. I've revamped the caps details in main picture and texture file, and I guess I already have something that deserves to be reviewed. Some pictures here:

CubsCaps.jpg

These caps gain a lot in gameplay time, in closeup takes, of course. I've redone all the seams my way, and I've added drill cloth look for the picture and the texture file itself too. I like the idea of 3D-seams, But I guess these things must be a simple detail for those who look closer, and not somethig you can see several feet far from the player. That goes to uniforms seams too. Also visor seams in default caps are unjustifiedly twisted to me, and I fixed this too. The bad thing is that there is an importan issue with 2k9 file compression that damages some logos when importing the pictures.

For those who want to test my caps, I made both Cubs versions, default and alternate. You can download them from this adress:

Umachines' Cubs 2k9 test caps

To install them, open any uniform with "MLB 2K9 IFF Editor Beta9.exe" and replace the cap texture with "CubsCap.dds" and the cap you want with "CubsCap00.bmp" for all blue cap or "CubsCap01.bmp" for red visor cap. I didn't upload the file to the downloads section, since I don't consider this a mod yet myself. Anyway, feel free to test it, and please leave your impressions...

...And for those who are insterested in what else I'm doing right now, I'm also redoing my MVP05 uniform templates to finaly jump to 2x textures in next MVP Caribe version. All my clothing textures will be tottaly redone for those uniforms, following each model style, but with new look. This will be my final tribute to this game I love so much. Some samples of my WIP here:

Prueba2X.jpg

Tanks for your comments, guys. Here is another example, this time with the White Sox cap. Darker objects are harder to work, like in MVP, because of the quality loss. Some tests were too ligt, so they were actually gray, and some others were so dark that there was no drill cloth effect at all. But I guess I finally got the right tone here:

WSoxCaps.jpg

I found a much better result with the logo this time. Much less colors in the BMP file. I guess I'm doing a couple of seam fixes more, and I'll be ready to actually start working on my cap mod. What I'm not really sure is if I 'll realese a full MLB set or a generic colors template set, since I know the first option is a big work. Also the final users must be used to work with the IFF editor to open the uniforms and import the caps.

BTW: ¿Who else hates those fielding gloves?

BTW: ¿Who else hates those fielding gloves?

You mean the ones made of wax?

I can't wait for MBM to release the Nike Clippers shoe mod, and for someone to do something (anything at this point) with the gloves.

BTW, the hats look very nice. On the Cubs hat, is it actually (by design) darker around the bottom and the bill .... that would resemble sweat? Is so, that's just brilliant.

An Angels red cap here. All seams work is almost ready.

AngelsCap.jpg

I guess I know why original caps logos are so big, because of the file compression issue. Even many of those big logos look dirty and damagged, but if you try to make them smaller, the result is even worse. It's very dissapointing seeing how we could do great logos and scripts with embroidery effects that would look amazing in this game engine, and that's imposssible just because of the extremely poor bitmap conversion.

A preview of Orioles BP cap. The logo looks a bit blurry 'cause I'm testing some embroidery effects with certain simple logos. Not sure if I'm keeping it.

OriolesCap3.jpg

Notice I'm using a different texture for this one's cloth effect. I searched for that old holes grid I use in some MVP jerseys, and I found it fits OK on the 2K9 BP caps. Something You'll notice in these caps is that they'll be darker than the default ones. The darker the cap, the bigger the difference. Maybe they'll look rare with some default uniforms. But I'm making them to try to look more like real caps, and not to fit 2K Sports default uniforms exactly. I haven't tested anything with uniforms yet, but I think the default ones are too pale too. Maybe it's cause of the game's light enviroment, but I guess jersy colors should be more vivid.

My plans are releasing one set per division, starting with AL-East in next few days. The first sets will only include current season caps, and maybe I'll release some sort of extended sets later, if I have the time and people like the initial releases.

• 4 months later...

Archived