• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1 Trues

Trues

Founder / Webmaster

• Founder
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

With the lack of consistent donations and subpar ad revenue, I'm sorry to report to everyone that we are in jeopardy of losing this site. I have had no problem in the past making up the difference (out of pocket), but my financial situation has changed and I can no longer make that commitment each month. While this is not an easy decision for me, I really don't see another option at this point.

Starting immediately, new and regular members (only) will be limited to (2) downloads per day or they can choose one of the following paid subscriptions in order to gain full access (no restrictions) to the downloads section (among other features). Please note: this is NOT a charge for individual files but an overall charge to cover the cost of bandwidth and space required to host these files.

If you are a modder, you'll automatically receive a lifetime subscription. If you are a current contributor, you will also receive a lifetime subscription and upgraded to the new "contributors +" group.

Once the server costs are reached each month, the rest will go into a pool to cover the next month and so on. Hopefully, this will allow us to continue to exist and grow for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for your continued support.

You can access the following subscriptions from your control panel, under options.

Basic Plan: $5 (yearly subscription)

· Full access (no restrictions) to our downloads section with over 3900 files.

· Full shoutbox access.

· Private message storage increased from 25 (standard) to 100.

· Contributor status indicated with your name in blue.

Plus Plan: $10 (lifetime subscription)

· Full access (no restrictions) to our downloads section with over 3900 files.

· Full shoutbox access.

· Private message storage increased to 200.

· Mass PM ability. (up to 5 people at one time)

· Personal title.

· The ability to change your username (up to 2 per year).

· Contributor + status indicated with your name in gold.

**Updated on 7/3/09**

#2 pistonj92

pistonj92

All-Star

• Modders
  • 1,476 posts
  • Interests:Anything with Ultimate Rosters

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

I like how modders get the subscription free, but I think you guy should review who is really a modder and who isn't.

IMO, a couple CTS, does not equal a modder.

#3 MilkmanAnt

MilkmanAnt

Rookie

• Modders
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, MVP

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

I like how modders get the subscription free, but I think you guy should review who is really a modder and who isn't.

That is a good point. I hate to read things like this, but I will definately be paying my $10. People please follow my path.

#4 Trues

Trues

Founder / Webmaster

• Founder
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

I agree and that will be discussed.

#5 CircleChange11

CircleChange11

All-Star

• Modders
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

Trues,

Is having a charge for new members going to be enough to be a long term solution or would it just stave off the inevitable for a few monthes?

What would be some ideas to reduce overhead of maintaining the site for a long time?

#6 Trues

Trues

Founder / Webmaster

• Founder
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Trues,

Is having a charge for new members going to be enough to be a long term solution or would it just stave off the inevitable for a few monthes?

What would be some ideas to reduce overhead of maintaining the site for a long time?

Only time will tell. We'll have to see how this does and go from there.

#7 lautrec

lautrec

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Trues,
$10.00 is a bargain. Thanks for the great site. I've downloaded a bunch of great mods and read many topics in many forums, gathering information for MVP and now 2K9, and have benefited greatly. It's been a while since I last contributed, so it's really 10 measly dollars that are overdue to your endeavors. I appreciate the fine work of the modders and yourself, and hope this site can continue on.

I would encourage everyone that's like me, who basically lurks in the background, enjoying the crisp conversation about a variety of topics, who enjoys hours of fun from the mods we cherry pick, to step up and help this site out. There's no big government taxing you into this, there's noone forcing you to do this, it just seems the right thing to do at the right time.

Thanks again to all the modders and especially Mr. Trues.

P.S. - I am now a proud Lifetime Member!!

#8 crud

crud

Rookie

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, i agree! You guys have been the greatest at modding MVP and 2K9.I encourage you all to help out Mr Trues and all of the other great modders. We're on the verge of losing this amazing site! :cray:

#9 Trues

Trues

Founder / Webmaster

• Founder
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

Trues,
$10.00 is a bargain. Thanks for the great site. I've downloaded a bunch of great mods and read many topics in many forums, gathering information for MVP and now 2K9, and have benefited greatly. It's been a while since I last contributed, so it's really 10 measly dollars that are overdue to your endeavors. I appreciate the fine work of the modders and yourself, and hope this site can continue on.

I would encourage everyone that's like me, who basically lurks in the background, enjoying the crisp conversation about a variety of topics, who enjoys hours of fun from the mods we cherry pick, to step up and help this site out. There's no big government taxing you into this, there's noone forcing you to do this, it just seems the right thing to do at the right time.

Thanks again to all the modders and especially Mr. Trues.

P.S. - I am now a proud Lifetime Member!!

Thanks for your support.

#10 LouisvilleLipp

LouisvilleLipp

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

So we can't d/ld anything until you receive payment? And how long will that be? I just sent mine in tonight.

#11 krawhitham

krawhitham

Hall of Famer

• Modders
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

You could have users upload files to file hosting services that would remove both the bandwidth and space required to host the files

#12 sorcerer

sorcerer

Rookie

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:54 AM

You could have users upload files to file hosting services that would remove both the bandwidth and space required to host the files

Agreed!

#13 Hoop27

Hoop27

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

Sorry to hear that you had to take this step, but in current economic times it is understandable. Hopefully down the road when things get better we can get the best of both worlds.

#14 ben82859

ben82859

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

i understand why you had to do this.

#15 Jim825

Jim825

Commissioner

• Administrators
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

That would work, but what if the file hosting service went out of business? Didn't you run into that problem earlier this year with some of your mods on EAMods? I can't remember the exact name of the file hosting service (FileFront?), but I do recall it happening. Having to then scramble and move 3900 files in a hurry wouldn't be an easy task. $10 is a bargain for what is being offered...

#16 Grandote

Grandote

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Sorry but with this term is the final of this page. I think the finality of the page is share our pasion for baseball but now is a business. Sorry my bad english.

#17 hackman2007

hackman2007

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

Sorry but with this term is the final of this page. I think the finality of the page is share our pasion for baseball but now is a business. Sorry my bad english.

You can still participate in the baseball discussion on the forum.

Only if you want to download files and such do you need to pay.

But seriously, $10 is not much.

#18 philthepat

philthepat

Rookie

• Modders
  • 631 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

Just think about what you'd spent $10 on in an average week. For the sake of what this site provides, its a damn good offer.

#19 Homer

Homer

Legend

• Administrators
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

then you don't understand business, because that would be a helluva business plan. i wonder how microsoft would do if their goal was to break even.

#20 CircleChange11

CircleChange11

All-Star

• Modders
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

What's the other option? Trues pays money each month so that others can have free downloads for a video game?

Does that sound fair to anyone? I'm sure no one will say that it is fair, but then simultaneously, they'll be like me and others and download lots of files while making little to no donations.

I would prefer a "pay as you use" feature, where you register an account, using paypal or credit card, and every time you download, a certain amount (50 cents, $1, etc) is withdrawn/transferred from your account. It would be like downloading music or an iphone app, etc.

Those that download the most, pay the most. Those that do not utilize the services that cost money, don't pay anything. I wish we could pay taxes like this. *grin*

Have the amount/fee based on the size of the file or something. I'm not sure how this would affect the "profit off trademarked items", but I would view it as "paying for the bandwith/service".

I also don't know how this could be set up, or if it is even possible ... but I do feel a "pay for what you use" system is best.

So, instead of charging someone $5 for a uniform set or an 09 conversion mod, the downloader would pay $5 for the cost of hosting the file and/or bandwith.

Again, I'm just brainstorming, not demanding or even suggesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users