Baltimore Memorial Stadium Classic

paulw

It's been about 6 months or so since I've done any stadium modding and am working on a new one...Baltimore Memorial Stadium circa 1950's and 60's. I started doing this for the 1956 mod but I know there are also 1961 and '64 mods. I think the '69 Orioles are also in total classics. I set the distances to the fences for 1961. I'm pretty sure SeanO did the original work on classic Baltimore - the really hard stuff. I'm just trying to pretty it up a bit and have a little modding fun again.

The one area where someone could help me is the scoreboard. Does anyone know where there's a color picture of it from sometime in the late 50's or 60's. I found a nice black and white which I used for the model but am kind of guessing on the colors.

post-1571-125860876524_thumb.jpg

It's been about 6 months or so since I've done any stadium modding and am working on a new one...Baltimore Memorial Stadium circa 1950's and 60's. I started doing this for the 1956 mod but I know there are also 1961 and '64 mods. I think the '69 Orioles are also in total classics. I set the distances to the fences for 1961. I'm pretty sure SeanO did the original work on classic Baltimore - the really hard stuff. I'm just trying to pretty it up a bit and have a little modding fun again.

The one area where someone could help me is the scoreboard. Does anyone know where there's a color picture of it from sometime in the late 50's or 60's. I found a nice black and white which I used for the model but am kind of guessing on the colors.

I made this stadium for a guy for High Heat 2003 a couple of years back. He has old score books, and stuff with a lot of old color photos in it. I have not seen him around in quite a while though. I won't promise much, since I have not seen him, but if i do, I will drop him a line and see what all he has.

Welcome back! You've been missed. Check this thread out over at b-f.com:

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63374

It's a site where you should be a regular anyway, even if someone already has taken the paulw nickname, weirdly.

@Sean: That's a great site. I have been a member for a couple of years. Don't post much, but there is SOOO much great stuff on there.

@Paul: I looked around for some of his old emails that he sent me pics, but I must have deleted them. All I can find is a pic of the scoreboard I was working on. I can't be sure what year it was from though, and it isn't the same as the one you posted above. I am thinking it was early 70's.

Wow, first of all thanks to everyone for all the kind words. It's good to be back - and yes after my hiatus fun to be modding again. SeanO - you're link has got some great shots. Some of these will be a huge help.

112155 - If you PM me your Email address I'll send you a crowdless version.

Jim - About once a week or so I take a trip back in time to 1956. Such a great time period in baseball.

Y4L - Did you watch any of the world series this year? ;-)

EMath - Does the scoreboard pic you have still have the Longines clock on it? That might help. Thanks...

EMath - Does the scoreboard pic you have still have the Longines clock on it? That might help. Thanks...

Yes. But, incase you misunderstood. I don't have the pic, i have a screen shot of what I was actually working on in the game. Now, with the limitations of modding High Heat stadiums, it was less about perfection, and more about getting it close, to try and give it the feel of the stadium. The stuff in the pic may not be exact, but the colors should be right as I was trying to create what he sent me pics of.

I'll Pm it.

Yes. But, incase you misunderstood. I don't have the pic, i have a screen shot of what I was actually working on in the game. Now, with the limitations of modding High Heat stadiums, it was less about perfection, and more about getting it close, to try and give it the feel of the stadium. The stuff in the pic may not be exact, but the colors should be right as I was trying to create what he sent me pics of.

I'll Pm it.

Thanks! I'm curious to see what you've got. I've found a couple of items on Getty Images which might help also. I can't believe how hard this one is to find.

Thanks! I'm curious to see what you've got. I've found a couple of items on Getty Images which might help also. I can't believe how hard this one is to find.

Yeah, as I am sure you can see, it was not the highest of quality work. The guy wanting it was pretty demanding, and pushy, so I kinda flew through it, mostly just to shut him up. Of course he complained about it, but when I asked him to work on a uniform for me (something he was dabbling with at the time), he was to busy.... So I didn't feel to bad about giving him a steaming pile of poo.

Tonight it finally started to get to the point I'm happy with it. Still a bunch of things I'd like to add. I'm also a little suspect of my collision data which I'm testing out. Anyhow, I've attached a pic. BTW - I found a color picture of the scoreboard from around 1966. I sort of like this one.

I never thought much about this ballpark but in working on it find it quite interesting. I remember it most vividly from the last game of '82 Brewer season. *The* best ballgame in Milwaukee Brewer history :-)

post-1571-12588714381_thumb.jpg

Tonight it finally started to get to the point I'm happy with it. Still a bunch of things I'd like to add. I'm also a little suspect of my collision data which I'm testing out. Anyhow, I've attached a pic. BTW - I found a color picture of the scoreboard from around 1966. I sort of like this one.

I never thought much about this ballpark but in working on it find it quite interesting. I remember it most vividly from the last game of '82 Brewer season. *The* best ballgame in Milwaukee Brewer history :-)

It was a fantastic ballpark that was the closest we came to a good multi-sport setup. With some updates, I actually believe the fundamental design could be used again if a multi-use was an absolute necessity.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm pretty much finished with Baltimore Memorial. I made a lot of progress with some extra time I had over the Thanksgiving weekend. My finishing touch - the screen barriers found at the edge of the bleachers.

I watched the awesome scene in '61 again where Roger Maris hits his 59th homer but then: "They're bringin' in Wilhelm...bush leaguers!" :-) I mention this because it happened in Baltimore. They did a wonderful romantic job of rendering the ballpark with limited resources. The one thing I got from the movie was the Gunther beer sign which I'm now using. It's the 1961 stadium that I'm *trying* to capture. I'm going to play a quick test game tonight and then I'll release it tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. My final pic:

baltmem1.jpg

If anyone has anything they'd like to see in this ballpark yet let me know. I'm using it in my '56 mod and I'm sure it will work quite well in the '64 mod also. I also have a version for '67 and later (the Schaeffer scoreboard sign). I'll include this with the upload.

• 2 months later...

I found these 2 photos for you. its not the best shots of the scoreboard but it might help its in color prob mid 60 with the players in the photo. hope this helps you.

post-72443-126530792518_thumb.jpg

post-72443-126530793657_thumb.jpg

Archived