Which Pitches Did Pitchers Throw?

danc

Hey,

Has anybody seen a book or books that have info on which

pitches different pitchers threw throughout history? How

far back has information on this been collected formally?

I am guessing that after a certain point the stats/info

would be very hard to come by for any pitcher other than

the Hall of Fame guys.

Hey,

Has anybody seen a book or books that have info on which

pitches different pitchers threw throughout history? How

far back has information on this been collected formally?

I am guessing that after a certain point the stats/info

would be very hard to come by for any pitcher other than

the Hall of Fame guys.

The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers is what you're looking for. It was written in 2003, and has a lot of information to that point. There are pitchers who pitched in the 1800's in the book, so it goes pretty far back too!

Hope that helps!

pitchers_big.jpg

that book is a must have for any roster modder. it's by far the best available resource for pitches. another possible source for pitches is Baseball Mogul. it's a simulation game and has this information in it as well.

DB, and Homer are spot on. I have that book, and it is by far one of the best references for baseball roster creation that you will ever find.

The only short coming is the fact it only goes up until 2003, but there are other resources out there for current pitchers.

EDIT: I had originally found this book in Google books, and was able to find out quite a bit just in the limited previews they allow. I was sold, and had to find a copy of it to get for myself.

I have that book and use it all the time. I also found that Baseball Mogul is surprisingly good when it comes to pitch types. When creating rosters, I use both resources. Sometimes I'll compare the pitch types shown in the book and the pitch types shown in Baseball Mogul, and so far, they've always matched. That gives me confidence to trust the Baseball Mogul listings when I need the pitch types for a pitcher not listed in the book. I'll just use the pitch types listed for the pitcher in Baseball Mogul.

Baseball 2011 is available on the sportsmogul.com website but if you run a Google search, you can find older versions that you can download for free.

what sources do you use for more current guys?

It's not as good IMO, but it uses the MLB fx stuff to determine pitches. I know most people don't think it's all that accurate, but it's about all we have.

This is Carlos Zambrano's page.

If you actually go to the site, and do a search for a pitcher, I think you have to scroll down most of the way to get to pitch selection data.

Fan Graphs

I know there are other sites that use the fx stuff as well.

EDIT: For some reason the link isn't loading, but just go to fan graphs, and search for a pitcher. It's all there.

I have that book and use it all the time. I also found that Baseball Mogul is surprisingly good when it comes to pitch types. When creating rosters, I use both resources. Sometimes I'll compare the pitch types shown in the book and the pitch types shown in Baseball Mogul, and so far, they've always matched. That gives me confidence to trust the Baseball Mogul listings when I need the pitch types for a pitcher not listed in the book. I'll just use the pitch types listed for the pitcher in Baseball Mogul.

Baseball 2011 is available on the sportsmogul.com website but if you run a Google search, you can find older versions that you can download for free.

Yep, these resources were used extensively for the TC rosters that have been done and 'updated' throughout their TC history here on MVP Mods.

Wow,

Thanks guys.

Amazingly I purchased the James/Neyer book last night on a guess.

I guess, I guessed, right. Fantastic!

I also purchased James' New Historical Abstract book.

How is that one?

Thanks again.

Archived