I'M Tired Of It Already

Yankee4Life

It's Friday, November 19th and I am tired of all the Christmas stuff already. And it really struck a cord after I read this article on CNN today. I am completely used to the fact that the month of December is all about the anticipation of Christmas, but how come they decided to invade November and take that over too?

Of course you have to blame the realtors. And you have to blame the customers for letting them push and then push some more and then push even further. We've lost the entire month of November to them and they've already moved into late October. In another few years we will have Christmas layaway commercials around Columbus Day.

And then you wonder why people have a genuine hate for this holiday? Can you blame them? It's the pressure of this entire holiday. Buy, buy, buy. More, more, more. Want, want, want.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Christmas. But I also do not want to be reminded about it for two months before it gets here. I know when the 25th of December is and I plan and shop accordingly.

Personally my favorite part of the Christmas season is on December 24th, Christmas Eve. That's when you usually are with your family someplace and all the shopping and all the crap is done for another year. Look around this Christmas Eve wherever you are. Only the kids will be running around with smiles on their faces. The adults will be sitting there with tired looks on their faces.

There is a lot I love about this holiday season. The songs for one. And, like the guy who wrote this article, we have a station in my city that is just playing Christmas songs. It's a little too early for me to be listening to "Deck the Halls with boughs of holly."

Christmas is a special time of the year. When I think of my Christmases, I think of the ones I had when I was a kid with relatives that are no longer with us. It seemed to be a happier time back then, but of course it could be my imagination.

But I am sure about one thing. Christmas was different back then only because we had a lot less of it and more to look forward to.

Link to article

My Take: The case against starting Christmas in November

Editor's Note: Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar and author of "God is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions that Run the World," is a regular CNN Belief Blog contributor.

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

I am fine with Jesus being the reason for the season, but does it have to last for two months?

A week or two ago, one of the radio stations where I live on Cape Cod, Coast 93.3, switched its format over to Christmas songs. As I am writing this, Wham! has just finished “Last Christmas” and Hall & Oates’ “Jingle Bell Rock” is still ringing in my ears.

This confuses me. Is there really demand out there in radioland for non-stop Christmas carols for four weeks in November and another four in December? The Christmas season used to kick in right after Thanksgiving. Now it can barely wait for Halloween.

Don’t get me wrong. Eartha Kitt’s “Santa Baby” turns me on as much as the next guy. But for nearly two months? Isn’t that a bit too much of a good thing?

In the Christian liturgical calendar, there is of course a month of preparation for the incarnation of Jesus. I remember lighting the four purple candles on the Advent Wreath in preparation for the coming of Jesus in the Episcopal church where I grew up. And I remember it as magic.

Advent is not Christmas, however, and you don’t sing Christmas carols during the four Sunday services before Christmas. “O Holy Night” (which, by the way, was just sung on 93.3 by Josh Groban) refers not to November 24 but to Christmas Eve. And when Bing Crosby croons (as he did for me a few minutes ago), “It’s Christmas once more,” he isn’t right until the 25th of December.

A few years ago Bill O’Reilly invited me on “The O’Reilly Factor” to discuss the religious ignorance of American citizens. He was decrying the “war on Christmas” at the time, so he asked me about that, too. I told him I was pretty sure Christmas would survive whatever attack it was enduring. If local radio is any indication, I was right. Christmas, I am unhappy to report, seems hell-bent on colonizing November.

I am no anti-Christmas culture warrior. I love the Christmas Eve service, the faces of expectant kids on Christmas morning, and the story of a God who is one of us (sort of). But it’s not ritual or theology that are stretching Christmas to the breaking point—it’s Macy’s and Madison Avenue and Silly Bandz and Stinky the Garbage Truck and Coast 93.3.

Whatever war on Christmas we are enduring is being waged by retailers and advertisers, not secular humanists. According to Percy Faith & His Orchestra, “We Need a Little Christmas.” I think we need a little less.

So Y4L...I take it you wouldn't be interested in my new Yankees Christmas Dynasty I was planning:

xmasgag.jpg

Seriously though, that was a very insightful post you wrote and I do agree with you for the most part. I don't really happen to mind the Christmas stuff being ramped up in November simply because the holiday season seems to fly by way too quickly each year. I'm sure if I worked in retail I would be singing a different tune but yeah, it's great to spend the time remembering the good Holiday Seasons of the past. I have a 9 year-old daughter and it's great to experience these times through her eyes and I think that's what I'll remember the most. I agree with you that it's most certainly overcommercialized. What I hate the most during this time of the year are all of the farking Jared or "Every Kiss begins with Kay" Jewelers commercials. Like the size of diamond you buy someone clearly defines the value of your relationship. Gag! :bad:

will around here ther one station starts playing nothing but christmas music octbor first. that been going on fora few years, so you sick of the hole thing by about the 5th of oct. and abc family is already running christmas movies and shows. its starts way to early and for us that have birthday in decoember it just ruins that even more. im one of throws.

I agree 100% Y4L. I dearly love Christmas.....hard not to with the twins around...but I literally gagged when I walked into the local Walmart the DAY AFTER Halloween, and the place was decked out like Christmas was tomorrow, rather than 2 months away. Good Lord...I KNOW Christmas is near..but how about letting us enjoy Thanksgiving before we get the full court press?? :facepalm:

I used to love working at Walmart at this time of year, back in my high school days. It was to busy for my taste, but I loved when it was all Christmas, all the time. I worked in the seasonal department, so it was lawn and garden all spring/summer, and Christmas in the winter.

I agree 100% Y4L. I dearly love Christmas.....hard not to with the twins around...but I literally gagged when I walked into the local Walmart the DAY AFTER Halloween, and the place was decked out like Christmas was tomorrow, rather than 2 months away. Good Lord...I KNOW Christmas is near..but how about letting us enjoy Thanksgiving before we get the full court press?? :facepalm:

I didn't even take it into consideration how hard it must be for people like you DadofTwins who have little kids in the home during this time of year. On one hand you got to put on a happy face in front of the kids each and every day until Christmas day and at the same time it has to be driving you nuts day after day with the not-so-gentle and steady pushing that this holiday always brings every year.

And the Walmart near my house had the same thing going. Christmas trees, Santa and Rudolph lawn ornaments, etc, etc. In one aisle they had half priced Halloween candy right next to the "Special Christmas Edition Colors" of M&M's candies.

I can understand having the Christmas push the day after Thanksgiving. But to move it up to the start of November? That is too much.

Oh, one more thing to consider. On the day after Christmas when everyone is returning the crap they got the day before, do you know what they will be seeing in some of the aisles in their local Walmarts? Yeah, you guessed it. Advertisements for Valentine's Day. :(

know kidding. dad of twins twins birthday parting the twins today as matter of fact. at least the birthday is not to close to christmas can is its own day. the birthdays the closer you get to christmas get more lost in christmas. i know that fora fact.

Archived