• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#21 rroy0824

rroy0824

Rookie

• Modders
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

roy if you dont want to do the ratings, thats fine with me, it'll get done one way or another lol.

Oh no its fine. I was just wondering how you guys were doing it. :) I will do some teams, I may not go fast, but I'll get some done. :)

#22 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

BTW, be careful with Dylan's calculators . . . they have a tendency to over-rate a pitcher's movement on his throws, seemingly giving almost every pitch a "15" rating if a pitcher has a 3.00 ERA or lower. I usually temper this by making sure a dominant pitcher has at least one dominant pitch, and consulting scouting reports to figure out which pitche(s) ought to be rated this way. You can find that web-site here: http://60ft6in.com/

Further, Baseball-reference is probably the most convenient place to find fielding, pitching, and batting stats and splits. http://www.baseball-reference.com/

I figure most of you guys already know this, but I post in case you didn't.

~Chris

EDIT: There is also Cot's Baseball contracts for reference as to how each player is signed. If he is in his arbitration years, I usually tack on another year to his contract length and slightly more than double his total salary. For all other players, I average out the total contract money over the contract length.

Edited by chrisgooverthere, 19 February 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#23 nPetie

nPetie

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

I embarked upon a similar project midway through last season. I was able to update MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, N.L. All-Stars, A.L. Future Stars, and N.L. Future Stars (not including attribute, appearance, or cyberface updates). But, like SESbb30, I ultimately determined that it was too large (and too dynamic) of a project to complete by myself in a timely manner (with college breathing down my neck).

I have posted a link to MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip (which contains a custom set of References and Rosters) below:
MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip (26 MB)

The custom set of References and Rosters are described in README.txt (in MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip) as follows:

1 ) /References
A ) attrib.xls
Glossary to qualify each parameter and possible value in attrib.dat with a description

B ) Cyberface (Sort by Cyberface).xls
List of MVP Baseball 2005 Cyberfaces sorted numberically by player's cyberface number

C ) Cyberface (Sort by Last Name).xls
List of MVP Baseball 2005 Cyberfaces sorted alphabetically (A to Z) by player's last name

D ) Organization.xls
List of URLs (for current rosters) for each club (MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, or Single-A) represented

2 ) /Rosters
A ) /F (July 17th, 2010)
2010 A.L. Future Stars and N.L. Future Stars (Not Complete)
as of July 17th, 2010
based on MVP Baseball 2005 (Stock), 7.2 for PS2, 7.31 Plus, and 2k10 to MVP rosters

B ) /MLB-AAA-AA-AS (July 17th, 2010)
2010 MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, and N.L. All-Stars (Complete)
as of July 17th, 2010
based on MVP Baseball 2005 (Stock), 7.2 for PS2, 7.31 Plus, and 2k10 to MVP rosters

C ) /MLB-AAA-AA-AS-F (July 17th, 2010)
2010 MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, N.L. All-Stars, A.L. Future Stars, and N.L. Future Stars (Not Complete)
/MLB-AAA-AA-AS-F (July 17th, 2010) = /MLB-AAA-AA-AS (July 17th, 2010) + /F (July 17th, 2010)
as of July 17th, 2010

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by nPetie, 19 February 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#24 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Just finished the Brewers today. I'm a little upset that there weren't any scouting reports on Kameron Loe and Zach Braddock, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what these guys are like.

On to the Reds!!!

~Chris

#25 daflyboys

daflyboys

All-Star

• Modders
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

Can I jump in with you guys? I was going to handle the entire roster, but it may be too daunting of a task. Chris.... we had a guy use the Reds in our league this winter and ALL pitchers were tweaked for type and speed. Some players were adjusted but we limited it (I know Votto was done, probably Bruce too)....

And yes, we based it off of hiheat's roster. I also used these sources:

http://www.mlbdepthc...hchartscom.html

http://www.fangraphs.com/players.aspx (for pitch types and current speeds, didn't touch movements though)

http://60ft6in.com/ (to round out pitch types and speeds and to see if any fastballers had movement on a pitch since otherwise all 4 seamers were "0") --- team links at the bottom, but some info. maybe be archival, so take a look.

** I think it's also important to test along the way, i.e., after importing a team each time.

#26 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

we could use all the help we can get.

#27 daflyboys

daflyboys

All-Star

• Modders
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

we could use all the help we can get.

Should I start tackling the AL West? Also, how are we going to avoid possible clone players? That is, if I happen to bring someone up from a AA team and you import to that organization, he may still be on your AA team.

#28 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

who sent me the brewers.met, if i didnt make changes to the brewers, and you did, wouldnt that erase any players that were on the brewers in the first place on my end?

#29 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

who sent me the brewers.met, if i didnt make changes to the brewers, and you did, wouldnt that erase any players that were on the brewers in the first place on my end?

I did.

Well, it depends upon how you import the team. If you choose "add" then it will merely pile the new players on top of the old, creating duplicates in some cases. If you choose "replace," it will wipe out the former team and only the newly imported players will appear. I recommend you keep several versions of the rosters, including a "master" file which you only change when you finalize team rosters with player ratings. MVPEdit has an annoying habit of saving your changes as you make them, with no undo button . . .

BTW, here is the Brewers team file (.met for MVPEdit) for those of you who would like to playtest it and give me feedback.
EDIT: fixed Zach Grienke's slider, gave him a 2-seam fastball

~Chris

Attached Files

• Attached File  MIL.zip   9.26K   6 downloads

Edited by chrisgooverthere, 19 February 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#30 DylanBradbury

DylanBradbury

All-Star

• Contributors +
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

In case you guys need/want them:

2010 Speed Ratings.

#31 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

well ****, i replace the brewer team then, i havent done anything like that before. :facepalm:

#32 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

In case you guys need/want them:

2010 Speed Ratings.

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85??? Sadly, I don't think there's any possible way to generate an accurate speed rating from the stats. While players like Gomez are insanely quick, they may simply be being reigned in by overcautious managers (former Brewer's manager Ken Macha).

Keep up the good work though! You're efforts in helping to keep the MVP community alive are admirable, and I love your calculators!

~Chris

#33 daflyboys

daflyboys

All-Star

• Modders
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

I haven't been able to find any reliable sites for MLB players' speeds like they have for the NFL.

#34 nPetie

nPetie

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85???

Surely, good judgement could be applied in special cases (i.e. known players, typically at the MLB and AAA level). But, DylanBradbury's Speed Calculator will be especially useful for the AA and A levels (for those players we have never seen and/or never heard of).

Edited by nPetie, 19 February 2011 - 02:24 PM.

#35 DylanBradbury

DylanBradbury

All-Star

• Contributors +
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85??? Sadly, I don't think there's any possible way to generate an accurate speed rating from the stats.
Keep up the good work though! You're efforts in helping to keep the MVP community alive are admirable, and I love your calculators!
~Chris

I actually think my speed formula is the most accurate out of all my formulae. 85 is a pretty high rating, considering he only played 97 games last year, he only had 18 steals, and he's being graded on a curve. (That is, a 100 or 0 ratings are a lot hard to earn than ratings between the two.)

Also, in 2008 his speed rating was 98.

I don't know if you guys realize this or not, but my batting calculator uses my speed formula to calculate speed ratings.

(Also, I'm glad you like my calculators, but I'm done working on them.)

#36 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

Should I start tackling the AL West? Also, how are we going to avoid possible clone players? That is, if I happen to bring someone up from a AA team and you import to that organization, he may still be on your AA team.

Clones may be a problem, but I think we can avoid that once every division has a caretaker to keep track of transactions. In other words, each team/division will have someone to take care of incoming and outgoing players. Also, check out this handy dandy site:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/#month=2&year=2011
It will help us keep track of who to move where, though we'll have to coordinate up until we release the rosters.

Hey SESBB: I think you should put a note next to teams/divisions so that everyone knows which teams/division are being worked on and by whom. Here they are so far as best I can tell:

NL Central (all MLB and minor league teams): chrisgooverthere
AL Central : rroy
NL East : SESBB
AL West: daflyboys

BTW, this is great . . . if we can all follow through with our respective divisions, it will leave only 2 divisions and minor leagues left to do . . . easy as pie to finish by opening day!

~Chris

#37 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Another juicy site for helping keep track of transactions:

http://www.baseballa...rospects/?cat=7

~Chris

#38 rroy0824

rroy0824

Rookie

• Modders
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

do you guys know a good site for line ups, or are you just going by what you think.

#39 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

here http://www.mlbdepthc...hchartscom.html

#40 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

do you guys know a good site for line ups, or are you just going by what you think.

While getting the starting 9 from depth charts may be easy, figuring out the lineups can be a b---h, especially at thise time of year when managers like to toy with reporters by thinking out loud. I'm actually a disciple of Athlon's yearly baseball preview magazine. It sacrifices fantasy insight for much better research and information into each team's 25 man roster. I highly recommend it: they are about 90% accurate with all 25 man rosters, lineups, bench, rotations, and bullpens.

~Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users