Selig To Expand Playoffs

redeck

Should MLB expand its playoffs?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should MLB expand its playoff format?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/22/sports/baseball/22bats.html

In this article, Comie Bud Selig speaks about his feelings that MLB will probably add 2 more teams to its playoffs in the near future.

I dont see why this would hurt baseball, going from 4 teams to 8 teams seemed excessive to me at the time, but what the hell, why not.

Passively listening to a game the other day on espn I recall an announcer saying sure why not, but lets make sure we still keep all these regular season games meaningful by giving home field advantage to division winners. But not just game 7 or 5 or whatever the last game of the series might be. He said, give ALL the home games to the division winner. Interesting. I say hey why not. But maybe not all, maybe give the opening game of teh first series to the underdog team, and then the rest to the better regular season team. Lets not make the MLB regular season mean as much as Hockey or Basketball, nothing to not much.

What do you think?

I don't like it. I hate it. I don't think there should be more teams in the playoffs. What if they decide in ten years they want more? All I can think of is the NHL where all you got to win is 10 games and you are in the playoffs.

I'm a traditionalist. I don't like change in baseball. I'm against interleague and the DH. And adding more teams just for the sake of the TV guys at FOX is nuts. It's going to extend the playoff season and the weather many times in October is hit and miss. The World Series will be finishing up in November because of this and I would not want to be a fan in New York, Boston, Philadelphia or Chicago watching a game at night on the third of November for example.

Thankfully some players have come out and voiced their objections on this. I hope this never happens.

Well lots of things would have to change im sure. a shorter schedule, earlier start to the season (for the life of me, I dont know why the Northern Cities dont start the season on the road, in teh southern cities, at least 2 weeks, then everyone come north when its warmed a little) maybe less days off during the season, i know the Player and Union would fight this, but i dont know why, how many players play 162 games anyway. 5 man rotations, hey why not 6 then, whatever.

Heres what Id like to do. fold a couple few teams here in the US, make an Asian Division and a South American Division of MLB, Let some of these great players play closer to home part of the time, make it easier to scout these great BB talented countries. Put a couple 3 teams in Japan, and couple 3 more in BB crazy anywhere south of Texas. hell they could start the MLB season down there too where its warm, start in early march. they come north in mid april.

Yeah i bet your heads gonna explode about now Y4L lol but im with you on this

Interleague play is STUPID. I hated it when they thought it up, and I hate it now.

(i dont mind the DH, always kind of liked it sorry lol)

More of the best baseball of the season? Whatever will a baseball fan do? Tradition has its place, but everything needs to evolve otherwise it just stays stagnant. How many of you would rather watch it on an old black and white tv than a new hi def one? The game needs to move along just like everything else in life, so I don't see a problem with it. Everyone complains about change, but changes need to take place.

Your right Homer, If you have the same old teams making the playoffs every year, heck that has to get boring even for New York right? doesnt it? I can say that It would be a fresh breath of air to ahve a playoffs without Boston or NewYork once in awhile. It was nice the Red Sox had a good run, New York almost never doesnt compete, but I mess Baltimore, and Toronto in teh Playoffs Once in awhile. and I REALLLLy miss Detroit making it on occasion.

The way I see it, it's all about the money for him, but I'm okay with that. I want to see them succeed because I enjoy watching the product. Playoff baseball is the best thing to watch all year, especially when it's your team that's in it. There's just a different buzz to the town when it happens, and it gets a lot more people excited about it. So all the power to them. I'd love to see more baseball. If it were up to me, there would never be an off season. If you guys don't like change, don't ever put me in charge :)

Personally, I don't like the move, but you have to admit that its a good move for baseball. Currently, the sport has the worst ratio of regular season games vs. postseason games, which poses an immense drain on popularity during the season. Adding more postseason games would help remedy this problem . . . but only of the umps get the calls right in the postseason . . . a few more embarrassing calls and baseball with be dismissed as a laughingstock.

~Chris

The way I see it, it's all about the money for him, but I'm okay with that. I want to see them succeed because I enjoy watching the product. Playoff baseball is the best thing to watch all year, especially when it's your team that's in it. There's just a different buzz to the town when it happens, and it gets a lot more people excited about it. So all the power to them. I'd love to see more baseball. If it were up to me, there would never be an off season. If you guys don't like change, don't ever put me in charge :)

The thing is Homer, I agree with much of what you were saying. I really enjoy playoff baseball because it's the best time of the year for baseball and most of the games are tight and well played. As you said, it's a different buzz, or atmosphere. It's exciting.

But what I am worried about is that I don't want it to get over-saturated. Not a lot of teams should be in the post season. The weather is still a big factor for me and I think so for the players. Serious injuries can occur in the cold conditions. You are just tempting fate if you plan on playing games in late October and going into November in the east. And what about this? What if the Twins advance in the playoffs one year to the ALCS or World Series? Who's going to want to play a game in Minneapolis when the temperature is 31 degrees and the wind chill God-knows-what? OUCH.

Yeah I understand, but just don't see a reason to not do it just because something could happen. Chances are it will happen at some point, but so what? They'll deal with it. Adversity happens all the time, and we adapt. I mean seriously, guys chase each other around chasing after a pig skin and pound each other to death in that kind of weather, and we're afraid of hitting a little baseball. It makes this sport sound like a pansy complaining about it.

I'm also not worried about it being over saturated either. We're still only talking about 8 out of 30 teams. That's still not a lot of teams in the post season. I still just see everyone making a big fuss over a few things when the benefits are far greater. Sometimes we just need to stop worrying about everything that could go wrong and let progress happen first.

I agree you cant not do a change like that because someone Might get hurt. they might get hurt in the all star game too or spring training as well.

the one thing thats not been mentioned about it yet is not the playoffs itself, but even the buzz in other towns about who Might make the playoffs.

year after year, one team usually pulls away 5-10 game lead and are a lock for the playoffs well before teh season is over. but those teams scratching for the wildcard slot, the playoffs start well before the season ends. And i think That is very very good for baseball. and if you add 2 more slots for teams that will add alot more of that preplayoff buzz league wide.

Hey if its 4 weeks till the end of the season and your in Cleveland. you know Detroit ran away with the Central and have a 52 game lead on CLe, Min, Chi, and KC. And Boston has that first wild card slot wrapped up by 2 games, and Cleveland is 12 games out of that hunt too, but there is still 2 more slots, and Cleveland is only 4-5 games out for that..........your gonna be interested, theres 8 teams that could still make the playoffs, thats 8 cities where more people will be interested in what thir team does teh rest of the way, more fans at all those parks for regular season games, more fans talking about it. Its not only good for the Owners and Players pockets, its good for us, the everyday lifelong fan, to have more people interested, moer kids enjoying it, maybe some of those kiids in Cleveland will take a liking to the game, and start playing it in their backyard.............

Archived