Pitchers: What do you throw?

fundusglobus

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up on TBS and I'm still a huge Braves fan. That won't happen unless I get ungodly lucky...but since I haven't thrown a [real] inning in years, I have no idea.

MiLB have these tryout combines, of sorts, with scouts and other people from each franchise watching, so it's a like a 7-11 - a one-stop shop.

I'm actually getting way ahead of myself and creating a new dynasty in MVP, signing myself to (gulp) the Royals, and seeing what happens.

Of course, my "contract" will be in the millions .. that's just how it goes in-game, I guess.

I made myself a left fielder, signed for 4 years @ 700k.

When I re-edit myself as a pitcher, I'll say I'll be a 3 year @ 4.2 million kinda guy .. we'll see.

• 2 months later...

I play HS as a freshman going to be sophmore but i can throw

4-seam fastball- 80-91 mph (this last so the look on their face is priceless)

changeup- 50-55 mph (throw this first)

12-6 curve with sharp break- 60-65 mph (freshmens get scared of this)

2-seamer 70-77 mph (i dunno i throw it on 1-2 count)

i was a reliever in HS cuz the pitchers were seniors but the coach told me i could be starter or closer next year. i was messing which pitching style until i threw like tim lincecum and it felt natural to me.

40 mph off the change up? and 20 off the 2 seamer, 35 off the curve? are you sure? you must be slowing your arm speed down when you throw those, you shouldnt do that, your arm speed should almost be the exact same for all pitches.

i havent developed the pitches than my fastball i kept throwing fastball since i was 4

you're gonna get killed if you throw your pitches like that man, no matter how fast you throw. trust me, i did that my freshman year, i only had a euphes? fastball and cutter and a regular 2 seamer and 4 seamer, got killed first half of the season.

kinda more like a slider? do you have a pitching coach on your team? if so, have him teach you how to throw a curve. or get it touch with a pitching coach in your area. and you will dominate this spring. i only throw about 70-75, and have little movement on my curve, but a great change-up. they cant touch my change, and i had a 1.20 era this past hs season. im a seinor this year. if you can throw your change and fastball for strikes, and drop that knuckle-slider pitch in there every once in a while, mainly using it for strike out pitch, you will do very good.

Update:

Lefty, 5'11", 180 lbs.

Four Seam Fastball - 75 mph, decent downward movement, great control.

Two Seam Fastball - 70 mph, nice down and in movement, solid control.

Circle Changeup - 55 mph, extremely good dropping action, good control. I can now throw it in any count, even freezing them on 3-2 counts.

Splitter - 65 mph, drops a hell of a lot, bad control. I mix it up as often as I use my four seamer and two seamer, since my signals are 1 (Fastball) 2 (Circle Change) and 3 (Knucklecurve).

Knuckle Curve - 60 mph - Nice 11-5 action, no control at all. I started throwing it a week ago. I don't even twist or snap or anything, I just have the grip so it moves by the spin made when I'm letting go. Only for 0-1 or 0-2 counts, just to waste a pitch.

I had a good year, posted a 2.50 ERA with as many strikeouts as innings, maybe 5 walks the whole season.

But I think something's wrong with my arm. I normally throw six or so innings, I get cut off around 90 pitches. Even on days I pitch, my arm always hurts until I loosen up for about 10 minutes. But then it feels good until the day after I pitch, I ice it but it feels like my arm's gonna fall off until the 4th or 5th day after I pitch.

Thats not a good sign d-unit.

I agree. D-Unit, you need to stop throwing for a month or more. Because, (I know from personal experience), you probably have strained a muscle in your pitching arm. You are probably trying to throw too hard. Lay off pitching and if possible throwing completely for the next few weeks, then see if your arm feels any better.

im 5'7" 14 years old 126 pounds

i dont work out by the way

4 seam at around 70 mph

2 seam at around the same speed, some movement

a circle change that moves like 10-4

and somehow when i grip a slider and throw it like a fastball, it drops like a sharp, sharp curve