WIP - Hadlock Field: v.1 released 12/31

MarlinsMY

For the newest screenshots from the December update, please scroll down my 12/27 post.

Hello,

This is just my second post at MVPMods. I've been modifying EA's baseball games since the Triple Play days, first for my brother (he's DYosua), and now for myself in MVP. I've always wanted to see Hadlock Field in the game, as I was a huge Sea Dog fan until they switched affiliations after the 2002 season. With stadium editing starting to really advance, I was able to finally bring my idea into reality. This project is trying to recreate the stadium as it appeared during the last year as a Marlins affiliate.

First and foremost, thank you very much to Sean O for granting me permission to eventually release it, as it was based off his version of the current Hadlock in the downloads section. For screenshots, please visit http://yosuamedia.com/misc/MVP/hadlock.html .

Since there is a lot still to do, there is no timetable for its release. I'm excited that parts of the stadium are starting to look authentic, and that other minor league stadiums are also being worked on (like Waterfront Park).

Any feedback is welcome and would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Matthew/MarlinsMY

hey good work MarlinsMY...hey would u be willing to try Rosenblatt stadium in omaha ne??? several people have been wanting to try it and then never did...it would be another great stadium to have in the NCAA mod that is being worked on...if u want to try it I will get some pictures for ya...hope you decide on trying it

Thanks for the comments so far. I've been able to work on Hadlock a little, and a few new updated screenshots can be found at http://yosuamedia.com/misc/MVP/hadlock.html .

The picnic area is getting there- it no longer looks like a giant tent.

The flag has been placed in its place. The EA flags are below ground so they can't be seen. The flagpole disappears in a lot of places, though.

The MLB logos are out of view. Also, the 330 sign and foul pole have moved to a more accurate spot.

fush12: Unfortunately, I only have enough time right now for one major project, and that's Hadlock. Sorry I can't help; if I do have some time, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the comments.

--Matthew

Another update:

I don't think this has been done before... but I've added an external .o file to the miscmod.big file. I duplicated bli2.o, and hex edited it and its texture file to rename it to phl1.o. The result: I've been able to modify the blimp to look like the lighthouse that comes up when a Sea Dog hits a home run. Here's what it looks like in OEdit:

stad12.jpg

Actually, the yellow parts are transparent, and there's a bulb in there. To get it to actually come up with a HR, I copied and renamed sheanite.txt in the datafile.big. It does do this. However, doing this has created a couple of problems I can't solve, since I'm not good at modifying those .txt files. Since I moved the lighthouse to its proper place in CF, it is no longer in the camera that is supposed to show it, and I don't know how to move it. Additionally, the players in the dugout and bullpen have moved to their positions in Shea. If anybody knows where in the file I could change them back to the old positions and could move the HR cam to focus on the lighthouse, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! It is interesting in that this technique could serve as a get-round for the limits on stadium modding polygon-wise...

I have to say what you are doing is amazing. It goes way beyond what I would attempt, and I could never remotely succeed. I a sorry I don't have an answer, but I am loving this field.

I visited once while my sister and her husband lived in Scarborough, ME. Beuatiful place Maine is.

After further experimentation, it seems that the game will only allow one Apple/Bernie/train/Lighthouse type object in a stadium at a given time. Unfortunately, this severely limits what I thought would be possible - using this object to add onto stadiums. Currently, changing the shape of one of the miscmod.big objects and inserting it as a new object is the only thing possible. I'm still trying to locate other .o files that have more parts that would work in this role and therefore provide more adaptability. That's not going so well...

At any rate, at least the addition of the HR lighthouse, that I previously didn't think would have been possible to add, is a good feature in Hadlock (providing I can get the camera to work and the dugouts restored).

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an update on Hadlock. For the moment, I've re-instated the original aa03nite.txt file, because I have absolutely no clue how to change Shea's. (See above posts for information on that.) This deactivates the light house when a home run is hit, but hopefully somebody knows how to successfully change the file.

Most notably, I've added the press boxes and sky boxes. There's still some tweaking to do (there's 3D shading on the different parts that cause differences in color).

The picnic area was retextured,although it may not look too different from here. Also visible is the sign on the fence that says who is responsible for the field's maintenance.

One of the ads I previously had no reference pictures for is now there. This means only the Delta ad is not authentic from 2002.

STILL TO DO:

• Fix graphical glitches (There are quite a few)
    Tweak sky/press boxes
    Improve chain link fence texture
    Improve the picnic area (hopefully)
    Remove section(s) from the first base side
    Add overflow section in left (behind visitor's bullpen); with removed section(s) from above?
    Add the giant mitt in RF?
    Change wall.dat (well, first find a way to edit it, because every time I've tried to modify it the game has crashed!)
    Change aa03nite.txt: this includes dugout and bullpen positions (need to switch) and cameras (between innings, and the home run camera used for the light house)

• 3 months later...

DECEMBER 27, 2005 UPDATE

Finally, there is an update on the Hadlock Field 2002 Project. While there are still things to be added, it is close to a beta release. The wall.dat file needs to be changed. (Most notably, the game still thinks there's a 37-foot wall in left field!) I have no experience editing these, and haven't been successful yet, so if there is somebody who is willing to change it, I would appreciate it very much! Now, the newest pictures:

stad16.jpg

A wide view of Hadlock. Notice the lightpoles and light fixtures have changed. In all, three new lightpoles have been added by using polygons from the others. The light on the left is new, and is unfortunately tinted slightly yellow, done by the game for some reason.

stad17.jpg

The largest update to the picnic area. The wall juts out now, and the Expo has been repositioned slightly. The wood railing has also been included (near the Coke structure).

stad18.jpg

Another view of the picnic area, which shows the wall jutting out, the new lightpole, and the secondary scoreboard (which doesn't work here).

stad19.jpg

The original picnic tables have been restored, and the grill stand has been added next to the Expo. The green fence running from the edge of the RF wall and behind the Expo is new and keeps people from entering without a ticket.

stad20.jpg

The third base/left field side. The luxury boxes now have a side, so they look 3D. The lights have also been changed to be more authentic to the real Hadlock.

stad21.jpg

The ads on the lightpole and above the wall have been added in left. (The yellow line means even if the ball hits those, it should be a home run anyway.)

stad22.jpg

The scoreboard numbers have been re-done and made the correct size. The linescore is weird (done in Scenario Mode), but it shows off a feature that may be a first in MVP 2005: the left and right columns of the runs and hits are mapped to a different spot in the numbers file in cram32.fsh, and so the left will not be lit up until it is needed (see the "10" as compared to the "(0)7").

STILL TO DO:

1. Change wall.dat

2. Fix graphical glitches (There are still a couple)

3. Improve the picnic area a little more?

4. Add overflow section in left (behind visitor's bullpen)

5. Add the giant mitt in RF (if possible)

6. Add police storage building/lights of Fitzpatrick Stadium beyond the outfield walls (if possible)

7. Change aa03nite.txt: this includes dugout and bullpen positions (need to switch) and cameras (between innings, and the home run camera used for the light house)

for wall.dat, change the value 444 in the center column to whatever height you want it to be at. It's in inches, so if the wall is 8', change 444 to 96. Open it up in office, then change the value and pack wall.dat back up.

Great work.

Thank you very much everyone for all of your comments. I really appreciate them. It's very rewarding to see everything finally come together. While I still have a lot of things to do (I'm a perfectionist), I have just submitted Hadlock 2002 for download, so it should appear soon. Thanks again! This thread will continue to be updated as I add more and more to the stadium.

Guest JWClubbie

Great Ballpark. Setting a standard for stadium mods. Hopefull this will keep the minor league parks coming..... Great Work!

It looks great man, I'm honestly embarassed to still have my original up there since it was such a fustercluck test-bed type thing. Wish I had more time and energy to really spruce up all the wall.dat stuff on this version (my dimensions were... rough to say the least, I think cf is like 420'), but for now, this is an excellent addition.

Please tell me you're going to work on some other project now. It's rare that we get modders who are both exacting and know oedit. With my schedule absolutely going hell, I don't know if I'm ever going to get a chance to work on parks, so I would love to know other people are out there.

It's funny how great a difference just that foot or so of depth makes in the outfield ads. it's incredible.

Archived