Astros Cyberfaces from a Face-Making Rookie

AstroEric

This is a sort of carry-over from the request board, where, since no one had anything more constructive to do than make fun of poor Esequiel Astacio, I decided to give making cyberfaces another try after having totally sucked at it when trying before.

I still totally suck at it, but I'm getting a little better. I'd like opinions on the following:

wandy31vl.th.jpg

Wandy Rodriguez

palmeiro30rq.th.jpg

Orlando Palmeiro

backe47av.th.jpg

Brandon Backe

mikelamb7xv.th.jpg

Mike Lamb

taveras1hx.th.jpg

Willy Taveras

My video card, as I noted in the other thread, is crappy. I'm not sure how this affects the crappiness of these faces though.

--Eric

So far so good. Please keep it coming. Do ones of guys not done already by EA. There are Astros fans out there that care. Don't worry about whether or not someone gives feedback. As you can see from my Create A Player mod, you almost get NO feedback. Keep them coming. Thank you for your work.

BTW, The Mike Lamb look great. Did EA do one of him already?

I'm using the hi-res, but probably over-using the soften tool for blending things. And I've already fixed Backe's eyes...didn't realize they'd turn out that crazy looking!

I also didn't realize how bad my graphics really were until I was trying to take decent screenshots of these faces. I need to run out and buy a new card when I get money (read: perhaps in the next lifetime).

I'll keep tweaking these -- one of the problems I've run into is that when I apply the textures in oedit, the darker coloring around the sides of the bottom of the nose never matches up unless I widen the nose to near-ridiculous proportions. And when I try to use the UV map editor, things get too wacky. Any advice on solving this?

--Eric

--Eric

There are Astros fans out there that care.

Yes there are, and I am one of them! The ones you've got screenshots for look pretty good; I like the Lamb and Wandy ones quite a bit. How about a Brad Ausmus or Jose Vizcaino face? Just a thought b/c those guys have generic faces in the game and actually get some playing time for the Astros in real life.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to start over with all the OEditing on Viz because of the empty eye socket thing. But I can keep the texture.

It's going to have to wait though...I'm in the middle of moving. My apartment looks like a bomb went off inside of it and I have to be out by Sunday. My new apartment secretly had cats inside of it, which I'm allergic to, and I'm having issues with the new landlord about it. But my current apartment has someone moving in on Sunday. I feel like cutting off one of my own legs and beating people to death with it.

:help:

But the other news is that I made a 2x cyberface of my Dad last night that turned out pretty okay, so I'm going to try that with the remainder of the faces.

Also, expect an Astros CTS/License/Loading pack and a complete set of Houston-themed menu music in the next few weeks, or, at least, when I get internet at my new place, which may or may not be my new place. :wall:

--Eric

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to start over with all the OEditing on Viz because of the empty eye socket thing. But I can keep the texture.

It's going to have to wait though...I'm in the middle of moving. My apartment looks like a bomb went off inside of it and I have to be out by Sunday. My new apartment secretly had cats inside of it, which I'm allergic to, and I'm having issues with the new landlord about it. But my current apartment has someone moving in on Sunday. I feel like cutting off one of my own legs and beating people to death with it.

:help:

But the other news is that I made a 2x cyberface of my Dad last night that turned out pretty okay, so I'm going to try that with the remainder of the faces.

Also, expect an Astros CTS/License/Loading pack and a complete set of Houston-themed menu music in the next few weeks, or, at least, when I get internet at my new place, which may or may not be my new place. :wall:

--Eric

good luck with this, i think your work is getting better and better.

I'm a scaredy-cat. I'm here at the new place and allergies haven't bothered me once. But there have been more disasters from the factory floor. This time the attempted design was Brad Ausmus, Astros team capitan.

The first picture, I think, kinda resembles Brad. At least you could tell what I was going for:

crapmus7fw.jpg

The second picture is the same face, same game, in the batter walkup screen. It looks like Roger Clemens with diarrhea. I dunno what went wrong here, but obviously I'm messing up somewhere (probably everywhere).

crapmus29na.jpg

Here, for critique's sake, is the bitmap I used for the fsh file:

secondtry9zx.th.jpg

I laid this over a barely edited Mike Mussina o-file.

Jog and the gang...give me advice. What am I doin' wrong?

--Eric

I'm thinking about posting the ones I'm happy with temporarily to my website. I can't offer a target date because I'm working 50 hours a week right now, going to school and planning my wedding. I don't own much of my life.

Anyway, I'm complaining too much in this thread. None more. When I get a group I'm happy with, I'll release a pack here on MVP.

Thanks for the compliments!

--Eric

Archived