"Classic" Yankee Stadium - W.I.P.

paulw

The deepest part of this Yankee is around 450 ft. to left center. Dead center is more like 420. Lots of problems to try and get the actual dimensions but wanted to keep the signs on the wall the same to at least get the feel.

So, for people who want the ultra-hardcore information about the MVP version and the actual classic Yankee Stadium, here it is. The field you're playing in for our version is more or less the the 1976 revision. I removed the inner wall in the original EA edition of the park, and just pushed it back in Death Valley to the 430' left center alley distance. The real Yankee Stadium during this time period had a dead-center distance of 461' (cheap plug: same as my fantasy New Yankee Stadium), with a left-center distance of 457'. Now, the reason we didn't put the actual dimensions for that time period into the game is because the field itself was moved forward 30' and down 7' in the 70s, and so in order to properly recreate this situation I would have to move every single vertex in Yankee Stadium up 7' and backwards 30', and I think I'd rather kill myself than do that. I just finished moving a very large set of stands for a Project to be Named Later, and so to move an entire park would be miserable. This is because home plate must absolutely be set at vertex 0,0 or everything will be messed up, so instead of moving just the infield, instead you have to move everything else surrounding it. Thanks EA.

So in reality, dead center in our version is not that different from the original EA version, and right field is exactly the same. The difference, however, is in left-center, where the walls have been moved back 31'.

Now, as for the collision details. EA decided that the walls to the park itself are in the wall.dat file, a file which in spite of countless projects is still pretty mystifying. However, you may notice in some of my previous projects that anything outside of the field has weird collision detection, and that's because this is controlled in a seperate file named coll.dat which has no bearing on home runs at all. Now logically, you'd think these would be in the same format, but you'd be wrong. so things like collision detection for the foul pole and monuments become quite a difficult task, at least until I get a bearing on the coll.dat file. This might be remedied in a future version, but I can't make any promises.

As for the scoreboard, the Yankee Stadium scoreboard was installed at Shibe Park in Philadelphia in time for the 1956 season. I'm afraid I've seen so many freaking pictures of Yankee Stadium over the past few months I honestly don't know the old one from the new one.

As Paul said, please let us know of any collision bugs. theoretically there shouldn't be any crashes since the wall.dat changes were very minor, and I've not had problems, but when you're dealing with that mistakes are really easy to make.

Hope everyone enjoys.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like in Y2K's implementation of the modern Yankee stadium, he used a new and larger frieze texture, which is a definite improvement over EA's original version. bleachers) I guess the sloping down outfield wall is impossible to do right?

Actually, all we did was cut the repititions of the facade image in half by stretching half of the existing ones out twice the original length.

This stadium looks just absolutely brilliant. This is going in my game right away.

2. The latice wasn't made transparent so you could see thru the fencing.

I just added the transparency and it's a big improvement. There was at one time a reason I had to take this out and I'm not sure why. My guru - Hyman - also suggested I do this. Thanks guys!

Over the next week or so I'm going to gradually make other improvements like this. I want to scan a picture I have of the Longines clock - the current one I never even noticed said Longtimes - and also add the speakers on top of the scoreboard. I've noticed a couple other bugs of mine that I need to fix so stay tuned if you're interested.

From my side alone there will be a number of changes. Sean may have some things also he may want to add???

I tried to mess with the coll.dat file, and right now it's still too confusing for me to figure out how to make it work. But in the future it may be possible to create our own Duffy's Cliff or Tal's Hill sort of things, or even an accurate Crosley with the sloped outfield, if I can get simple collision points inside the field.

There are always a few things I could mess with, so i'm sure I can make a change or two somewhere.

great work on the stadium, looks superb, just with the scoreboard, i noticed it didnt work after the 7th inning, nothing major

keep up the great work

I was waiting for someone to notice that :-) The OEdit work on this is particulary gruesome. I stopped in the top of the 7th to keep my sanity. In a next release I'll have this working all the way to the end. Thanks for noticing this detail. I always have fun just watching the balls and strikes change while I'm batting.

Just to let you know - and thanks for the interest you've shown in classic Yankee - there will be an updated version released sometime towards the end of the week. Hopefully it will address many of the issues mentioned in this thread. Here's what I've done so far:

Redid some of my *hideous* apartment buildings in right field in front of right of the Bronx county building. Added some cool signs also.

Made some adjustments with the light standards

Changed the ramp exits in the stands

Did a bit of work on the scoreboard including adding the speakers on top

Made an adjustment with the left field auxiliary scoreboard – there was a slight collision problem there.

Added some of the exit signs and doors in the outfield wall

Added a transparency to the façade – this looks a lot better and much more 3d.

Fixed 2 roof collapse I found that I probably did when expanding the size of the façade.

Fixed *my* spelling errors ;-)

If there is anything else you'd like to see changed (within reason) please let me know. We're pretty much set on the walls being where they are - they're basically impossibe to move.

Just so folks know, the wall heights are as accurate as we're going to get them right now, starting at 3' in the "bullpen" area (directly after the seating area in left and right field), rising to 14' in center field. Since the screen in center field was only there sometimes, I've omitted it in this version.

It's kind of difficult to test out wall heights as opposed to wall location, so hopefully everything is as it should be. I'm sending it back off to paul so he can fix up any last minute things now.

Just to let you know - and thanks for the interest you've shown in classic Yankee - there will be an updated version released sometime towards the end of the week. Hopefully it will address many of the issues mentioned in this thread. Here's what I've done so far:

Redid some of my *hideous* apartment buildings in right field in front of right of the Bronx county building. Added some cool signs also.

Made some adjustments with the light standards

Changed the ramp exits in the stands

Did a bit of work on the scoreboard including adding the speakers on top

Made an adjustment with the left field auxiliary scoreboard – there was a slight collision problem there.

Added some of the exit signs and doors in the outfield wall

Added a transparency to the façade – this looks a lot better and much more 3d.

Fixed 2 roof collapse I found that I probably did when expanding the size of the façade.

Fixed *my* spelling errors ;-)

If there is anything else you'd like to see changed (within reason) please let me know. We're pretty much set on the walls being where they are - they're basically impossibe to move.

thanks for the good work! were you able to expand the size of the Facade even more?

http://www.digitalballparks.com/Yanks8.html

for example, there are portions of the facade that are twice in width comparing to other portions, but i don't know if that's doable. The facade is easily one of the most unique features of the original ballpark, and it would be great if you guys could give it the full glorious treatment.

Another thing, i noticed that the pressbox section is still in the stadium. Is it possible to remove it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone-

Paul is working hard on Classic Yankee as we speak. As I've posted before, the entire park has been sunken down, and now he's adding fans to the bleachers, touching up the graphics, and dealing with some roof issues. I tried moving the entire park forward 30', but it just ended up being a mess, so that's not included. But as far as we can manage, Classic Yankee Stadium will be as good as it gets.

Oh, and paul also added a railing at least to the bleachers, and it's possible we can stretch that out all the way. It's looking pretty damn good.

Actually, the park has been updated with one more thing since Paul posted that shot. Here are the pictures:

yankee13gf.th.jpg

yankee20sm.th.jpg

yankee38yp.th.jpg

Comparison shots:

yankee46pl.th.jpg

yankee78wo.th.jpg

yankee56dr.th.jpg

yankee84lo.th.jpg

yankee61iu.th.jpg

yankee90bx.th.jpg

So you can see all the changes that have happened. I'm not sure if it's completely done, as Paul mentioned, since there are a number of other things I would like to add, like the posts, the bullpens, truly correct walls, and some other elements. If not, this is unbelievably accurate. A short list of changes from the original Yankee Stadium:

- Completely updated graphics for the era

- Accurate dimensions and wall heights

- entire stadium lowered 8'

- Accurate crowd location

- completely rebuilt bleachers and outfield crowds

- monument park removed

- original monument park and flagpole added to center field

- accurate scoreboards, including auxiliary ones in the alleys

- updated batter's box

- updated crowd images

- removed jumbotron and animated logo in right field

In short, nearly every single part of the park has been modified, in fact I'm hard-pressed to think of any graphic or vertex that wasn't changed.

Hope everyone enjoys the work when it is completed.

The foul pole was lowered 8' along with the rest of the stadium. I think the only vertices not actually moved are in the mfield files, other than that everything has been changed. I am really astonished when I see the difference from the original, and I'm grateful that hyman and paul gave such a good basis for whatever work I've added to it. Just by myself Yankee Stadium would've looked like a mess, but having their higher standards to live up to made the park that much better.

Archived