"Classic" Yankee Stadium - W.I.P.

paulw

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Paul just did something ridiculous to Classic Yankee, like, so unbelievably excellent I can't fathom how he did it. It's stupendous, so I'm gonna try to make one other overkill change and this will be about a hundred times more accurate than Classic Fenway is, and freaking EA made that one.

Man, I'm excited.

dayum, nice work with the columns! One suggestion, I would like to see the facade on top widened. Right now, it seems like too many facade repeats are squeezed in when in reality there are as many facade repeats as the columns (some parts of the facade are wider than the others, but that's probably hard to do). See Y2K and Hyman's Yankee Stadium as an example. I think they expanded the facade 2X, and it looks much more realistic afterwards. Also, it can potentially free up vertices if you need more of it. Another thing, I think the fencing around the stadium should be greenish (like the color of the wall) and the fence in front of the dugout should be removed

facade6gm.jpg

Yanks_-_3rd_Base_Line_2_V2T.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Almost a year since the last update, but here goes:

yankeerightoq7.th.jpg

It's a subtle but important change. I removed the kinda ugly double wall that had been in right field and reshaped the entire right field corner. When EA built Yankee Stadium, they took a few shortcuts with the right field seating, which made the conversion to the '60's version very very difficult. By removing the walkway and everything in front of it and completely rebuilding the crowds, Classic Yankee is now far more realistic compared to previous versions.

Most importantly, because of this change, the right field line will now be at 296', nearly 40' closer than the 330' that EA had inaccurately placed as the right field line previously. You should be able to immediately feel the difference in play, as a 3' wall less than 300 feet away is a major obstacle for righty pitchers, and a great boon to Mantle and Maris.

• 6 months later...

It's not easy, but it is possible to create a more accurate version. Whether it will ever really be released is anyone's guess. I can't imagine anyone but EA really being able to create an accurate Classic Yankee Stadium.

I wrote that back in August of '05, never thinking we'd make a true Classic Yankee Stadium. Looking through this thread has been amazing for memories of the progress we've made, and how much fun it's been working on this project.

Anyway, I just sent out the newest version with a bunch of new features to paul to critique and mold into the best Classic Yankee yet. Just like the current version makes the '05 version look terrible, the newest is another big leap forward.

In short, it looks better than EA's parks.

will this be in two .big forms, instead of the txt and all that extra info, couldnt be packed into just the 2 files? or is it a specific reason you have to load txt files to?, other than that gr8 work, for a gr8 game!

The .txt file contains collision data, bullpen info, camera information, etc. A similiar file for every other stadium in the game is contained in the MVP Baseball 2005 data datafile datafile.big file.

Because classic Yankee Stadium, as well as the other classic stadiums created by modders, are not in the game by default, they do not have .txt files in the datafile.big file. New .txt files need to be created for each new stadium. Typically, this consists of starting with the .txt file for the stadium that the new stadium is based upon and tweaking it as necessary.

Does that make sense?

Sean has done some incredible work - especially on the railing along the top of the fence and with the crowd (No more disappearing crowd anymore!). I'm updating some more textures and I think we're getting real close. There's lots of subtle changes. I wish, I wish how someone in the PC world would see how hard *all* of us modders work on this stuff and maybe, just maybe think about putting a new PC game on the market.

yank5.jpg

Here's one other thing - I figured out the coll.dat file and am adding some more collision points. Here's my favorite - you can "be" Mickey Mantle and clunk one off the facade above the right field stands. You've got to get all of it but I've done it quite a few times. It's a major rush when it happens...

test.gif

Wow. You've done an awesome job. Those bleachers rising up like that seem really hard to do but you pulled it off. Keep up the great work.

I wish we could have the real Yogi see all of this! Maybe have him watch himself play a few innings.

Looking at this I'm sure would bring goose bumps to Yogi.

Archived