Random Thoughts On A Sunday Morning Updated To 11-19

Yankee4Life

With 53 players on the Vikings roster, Brett Favre is only 1.88% of the total team. By hoping that Favre doesn't make the Super Bowl, it means that you are unfairly penalizing the other 98.12% of the team. When you look at the numbers that way, it doesn't seem right, does it?

Yea, I know, I'm grasping at straws (as I sit here wearing my Fran Tarkenton Vikings jersey). I just really want the Vikings to win..... :sad:

With 53 players on the Vikings roster, Brett Favre is only 1.88% of the total team. By hoping that Favre doesn't make the Super Bowl, it means that you are unfairly penalizing the other 98.12% of the team. When you look at the numbers that way, it doesn't seem right, does it?

Yea, I know, I'm grasping at straws. I just really want the Vikings to win..... :sad:

Yeah, well if you put it that way. :unsure:

But the Vikings are 0 - 4 in Super Bowls. If they couldn't get it done with great players like Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Foreman, Jim Gilliam, Brent McClanahan, Alan Page and Carl Eller, how can they do it now?

Updated to 1-31

... Today is a big day for those of us unlucky enough to live in the Northeast part of the U.S. in the winter months. Because today's the last day of January and we have just rid ourselves of another month of winter.

...You don't think this is such a big deal? Consider that while I am writing this up right now it is three (3) degrees outside. I think that says it all.

...Last month when I got my blu-ray player I asked in here what kind of movies would look really nice in it. SeanO recommended a movie called Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I never heard of it. But then I saw the movie for sale in the bargain area of a wholesale club and I picked it up. It was really a nice movie and yes it did look great on blu-ray. I'm just wondering why I was not familiar with this movie before. It only came out six years ago.

...There is even a website for this game located right here where you can even download a game based on the movie.

...On the 27th my laptop that I got for Christmas came back to me on the day they promised to deliver it to me. Amazing, just amazing. And as an added bonus, everything works well on it too.

...Vikings coach Brad Childress is playing smart with rent-a-year quarterback Brett Favre. He is not putting a deadline on Favre to decide if he wants to play again next year therefore allowing Favre all the time he needs to hem and haw about this. And as soon as enough time goes by with enough attention given to him once again, Favre will return.

...Just how I see it but whatever is going on right now with Tiger Woods and his wife with their marriage counseling is strictly between them and should stay out of the media.

...I think I will only believe that Johnny Damon is not coming back to the Yankees is only when he signs with someone else. But before that happens I won't.

...No, I will not be getting an iPad. The latest over priced (from $499 up to $829 -the model with 64 GB of storage with a 3G wireless data connection through AT&T) product was introduced to the public this past Wednesday and there is nothing about it that makes you want to even consider buying it.

...And it would figure that Major League Baseball got on board with the iPad to try and entice their fans to get the iPad so they can watch baseball on it this upcoming season. It's a perfect marriage. One of America's most user-unfriendly companies joining forces with Apple, a company that makes products that you can easily do without.

Updated to 2-7

...You have good days and bad days on your way to recovering from major surgery. So far today's not a good one. It's almost 3 pm and I am just now getting up on my feet.

...Lately I have been getting back into playing a table top baseball game that I used to play when I was in school. It's called Superstar Baseball and it is a very exciting and addictive game to play. I'd tell you all to give it a shot but this game has not been printed since 1978. You can get this game on ebay, but of course you pay more for it. There are updated cards for it on the Internet though because this game still gets a big following. And I also used to play in leagues with this game but I will not let you know the team name I had to use because it's a long story.

...Thank God it is Super Bowl Sunday. That means on Monday morning the NFL will have gone away and our great sport will soon be opening its doors in Florida and Arizona.

...At least right now you can follow the Caribbean series to get a quick baseball fix before Spring Training opens.

...On Animal Planet today there is "Puppy Bowl VI" and that is funny as hell. They bring these little pups out on a rug that looks like a football field with dog toys and they have a guy in the booth giving a play-by-play of what these dogs are doing. It's hilarious.

...Where are you going to be when it starts up again Johnny Damon? I bet you are pretty happy with Scott Boras right now. But keep the faith Johnny. Hold out for that five year contract at 20 million a year.

...I keep on reading about a new contract for Joe Mauer from the Twins. I'll believe it when I see it. Minnesota has a history of being a cheap ass organization.

...I went go and see Sherlock Holmes recently but I don't know if it was a good movie or not. I was so tired I kept falling asleep in the movie and my wife had to keep waking me up. Before long I lost track of what was going on.

...And one week from today is Valentine's Day. My contempt for this holiday is long and deep. I don't like "holidays" invented by American retail salesman with the sole intent of taking your money once again with the excuse of buying something special for your wife or girlfriend. They conveniently forget that Christmas was seven weeks in the past and there are some people still paying for it. And yes, if I don't buy something for her next week I will be hit with the sad face and hurtful look. I know when I'm beat.

...Remember for those of you who are going to be ordering out for pizza for the game, order early. Enjoy!

...And one week from today is Valentine's Day. My contempt for this holiday is long and deep. I don't like "holidays" invented by American retail salesman with the sole intent of taking your money once again with the excuse of buying something special for your wife or girlfriend. They conveniently forget that Christmas was seven weeks in the past and there are some people still paying for it. And yes, if I don't buy something for her next week I will be hit with the sad face and hurtful look. I know when I'm beat.

...Remember for those of you who are going to be ordering out for pizza for the game, order early. Enjoy!

On the pizza part... I learned that the hard way 2 weeks ago... And that was just the NFC/AFC championship weekend.

As for Valentines day. We usually keep it simple. Maybe dinner. Maybe some flowers. I have always known my wife isn't huge on Valentines day, but she flat out told me last night that she doesn't like gifts (giving or receiving), and that I don't have to bother this year. Thank God. I feel the same way as you do Y4L, and thankfully, so does my lady.

Updated to 2-14

...Well, this is it! Spring training opens this week as the pitchers and catchers report on the 17th!

...MLB TV is going to have the 30 teams preview for 30 days the same as they did last year. And every other day they will be going back to cover the Red Sox because the people at MLB love to give extra coverage to that team. With Peter Gammons in the mix now I would not be surprised if every day this spring the Red Sox camp is featured.

...Hating that team for me is a year round occupation.

...Frank Thomas retired last week. Good. Now go away.

...And I can not wait for the day until I say the same thing to Jorge Posada.

...Had a nice coupon for Barnes and Noble bookstores that I used up the other day and I got seasons 3 and 4 of The Wild, Wild West. No one that I know in real life likes that show and my wife refuses to watch it with me because she thinks it's stupid, but I like it and that's all that counts.

...I am considering buying MLB TV for my computer this year but I'm still on the fence about it.

...The PS3 purchase for me is probably a thing of the past since basically I would be buying a new console system to play only one game (The Show) and if -and this is a huge IF- I do buy a baseball game this year it will be 2K10 but I won't be buying it the day it comes out. I am waiting to read reviews from the people in here before I get this because I have no faith in 2K Sports at all to release a game that is even remotely playable.

...Article in the NY Daily News this morning: "Yanks return to Tampa looking to repeat" No kidding? I thought they were coming back to Tampa looking to finish in fifth place. :huh:

...Don't forget now, today is Valentine's Day. Buy something even though you don't want to. :blink:

...Had a nice coupon for Barnes and Noble bookstores that I used up the other day and I got seasons 3 and 4 of The Wild, Wild West. No one that I know in real life likes that show and my wife refuses to watch it with me because she thinks it's stupid, but I like it and that's all that counts.

Y4L - If it makes you feel better, I've always liked the Wild Wild West. I remember watching it as a kid when when CBS broadcast it in prime time and then later watching it college when the re-runs were broadcast late at night.

With the imminent release of this year;s games, I remembered while reading Y4L's post about the PS3 that I totally forgot about buying The Show '09 for the PS2. I had thought about it last year and decided I'd give 2K9 a chance. I didn't expect The Show '10 to be released on PS2 as well, but it looks like it will be. Looks like this will be a good year for baseball gaming - 2K10 looks much better than last year (and the My Pitcher feature looks awesome, time will tell if it is or not), and as a backup, Sony are releasing The Show '10 on PS2 as well. Props to Sony for that one, not forgetting their old customers.

This winter seems to have went awfully quickly. Usually, by December I'm fiending for some baseball, and by February I can't wait, but it seems like I'm saying "already?" to the news that pitchers and Molina's report this week. Of course, it's not a bad thing. I guess I've had too much other stuff going on.

The above notwithstanding, I still haven't got my Yankees game collection from last season organised yet. Looks like I'll be needing another 1GB drive to put it off for another year!

You can keep your iPhones, your Droids, all the rest of it. The Nokia E71 does everything you need a smartphone to do.

Don't even get me started on the iPad.

Sadly, I think the GPU on my laptop may be dying, it's been intermittently struggling with playing video. I really hope a clean out with compressed air will sort it when I get home, but I'm doubtful.

I really need to get back into sports this year. With spring training fast approaching, what better time to start? Just wish the weather would hurry up and heat up. There's a reason they hold spring training in Florida and not in Glasgow, Scotland.

With the imminent release of this year;s games, I remembered while reading Y4L's post about the PS3 that I totally forgot about buying The Show '09 for the PS2. I had thought about it last year and decided I'd give 2K9 a chance. I didn't expect The Show '10 to be released on PS2 as well, but it looks like it will be. Looks like this will be a good year for baseball gaming - 2K10 looks much better than last year (and the My Pitcher feature looks awesome, time will tell if it is or not), and as a backup, Sony are releasing The Show '10 on PS2 as well. Props to Sony for that one, not forgetting their old customers.

We have mlb08 and mlb09 on PS2. IMO, it's not worth playing on that console. We did just trade in the 360 and maybe 10 games for $200, and the PS3 and MLB10 cost us $300 (plus some PS2 games for my son). For me, I'm just tired of fooling around with 2k. If 2k10 is great, then it also plays on the PS3. I don;t play too many other video games, so it's an easy choice for me.

This winter seems to have went awfully quickly. Usually, by December I'm fiending for some baseball, and by February I can't wait, but it seems like I'm saying "already?" to the news that pitchers and Molina's report this week. Of course, it's not a bad thing. I guess I've had too much other stuff going on.

I've missed baseball since about the 2nd day after the WS. Baseball has become a year-round sport for me. In the off-season, it's all about projections and stats analysis, as well as, player moves. All other sports have become just casual viewing for me. Illinois might be the best team in the Big 10, and I just noticed last week.

I really need to get back into sports this year. With spring training fast approaching, what better time to start? Just wish the weather would hurry up and heat up. There's a reason they hold spring training in Florida and not in Glasgow, Scotland.

This is going to be a fun spring for me. The team that my buddy and I coached to a Junior High state title are now HS sophs. We were able to get back into coaching (Administrators had been forbidden from coaching before this year), and it looks like our team is a legit contender for the state title (and should be for the next few years). As a pitching coach I'm just thrilled with our 7 (yes, 7 guys) 6'2 and taller. They pick up on tips quickly and all have very good command and movement for HS pitchers. One of our guys (get this) shows up out of nowhere (did not play his 1st 3 years). He's 6'2 205, left-handed and throws 80-83. His brother will be a pro pitcher after this season and his other brother was all-conference college player now working for the FBI. This kid, as of now, is our "6th starter". Sometimes you just hit the jackpot.

Anyway, enough about me, I'm just too excited to keep it in.

I'm really looking forward to this year's season. The NYY have the potential to have one of the best regular seasons of baseball history ... and there's a fair chance that I may get to see a NYY-StL WS sometime. BOS screwed it up in '04. StL did it to themselves in '08.

SEA will be an interesting team to watch. King and Lee as 1 and 2, as probably the best defensive team in MLB. As a fan of the 80s Cardinals, SEA could be the modern version of the "All pitching, defense, and speed team". You don't often see that combo these days, but it's interesting to follow.

We have mlb08 and mlb09 on PS2. IMO, it's not worth playing on that console. We did just trade in the 360 and maybe 10 games for $200, and the PS3 and MLB10 cost us $300 (plus some PS2 games for my son). For me, I'm just tired of fooling around with 2k. If 2k10 is great, then it also plays on the PS3. I don;t play too many other video games, so it's an easy choice for me.

I enjoyed 09 on the PS2, and it's fairly cheap compared to, not only current Gen games, but what you would have paid 5 years ago for the same thing.

Y4L - If it makes you feel better, I've always liked the Wild Wild West. I remember watching it as a kid when when CBS broadcast it in prime time and then later watching it college when the re-runs were broadcast late at night.

Yes it does. It is nice to learn that I finally ran into someone that liked this show. I liked the show because it was entertaining and there was always a lot of action in it.

Updated to 2-21

...It happens every year. When Spring Training opens up in Florida and Arizona and when I see the first film clips of it on NESPN it always gets me depressed. It's because I am watching people in other parts of the country not freezing and I have to be stuck in the one of the worst parts of the U.S. to live during the winter.

...Nice to see the Yanks having a quiet and productive spring so far and there hasn't been a Selena Roberts sighting yet.

...Had to take my wife to a movie last night. It was her choice. She wanted to see something called Dear John. It sucked. It was a typical women's movie with romance and other stuff in it. Avoid this at all costs.

...I need to see a good action movie soon before I lose it. The Rock needs to make one in the near future and he also needs to stay away from making those stupid Disney movies. Previews for The Wolfman look promising though.

...Understand one thing before I go on. I'm neither a fan or a detractor of Tiger Woods. I spend no time thinking of him or what he did. It's his business and he didn't hurt anyone but himself and his family. So he comes out and makes a statement this week and apologizes for what he did. Some people thought it was just fine and some thought it was staged. I guess the point I am trying to make is that you can't tell someone how to act when they are making a statement like that because it's already uncomfortable enough as it is for the person.

...Heck, I don't even play Tiger Woods golf on the PC. I'm still a Links 2003 player and I own all the courses that they have and have a few CD's full of courses made by other Links fans including some by a guy named Mike Jones, who has made some beautiful courses. For those of you who have never heard of Mike Jones, think of him as the PaulW of golf course design. He is that good.

...This week we bought a program at BJ's Wholesale club (very nice place by the way) from Roxio called VHS to DVD. And this program works like a charm. I had two VHS tapes that I bought twenty years ago called "The Golden Decade of Baseball, 1947-1957" which was narrated by Brent Musberger. Now that I have those converted to DVD I am going to convert a lot more.

...So Johnny Damon is a Tiger? Well, that's his fault. But I have to admit I am anxious to see how Bora$ spins this to make it sound like Damon made out in the end.

...Anyone else notice the heavy emphasis on Boston from the MLB Network so far? Or is it just me?

...Censorship is alive and well. Fair warning friends. Don't say anything bad about that team or else someone will cry about it. Just sayin'

...Damn I can't wait to drive again, but as long as I am still taking percocet that's out of the question.

...Did my taxes yesterday morning. I like to do them as early as possible only because I want to get them out of the way.

...There's going to be a lot of new threads in the coming weeks with the return of people to the site from the winter break and with the release of the two new games in early March. But don't lose track of this one right here by emath because this mod sounds like it is going to be fun to play. And of course you can't forget about Homer, who has been steadily plugging away on his mod for a long time now. Who says MVP is dead? Not by a long shot.

Thanks for the plug Y4L. I basically took a week off, and did very little during that stretch. I was getting a little burnt out on modding. Felt like playing it more than finishing it. Got back on track last night though. Wife's birthday is today, and mine on Tuesday, so I am not sure how much time I will have to spend on it (especially today).

Oh, and you can say bad things about the Red Sox, you just can't be a Yankee fan, and say bad things about the Red Sox. Look at things from the outside, and you will see, it goes both ways though ;)

Thanks for the plug Y4L. I basically took a week off, and did very little during that stretch. I was getting a little burnt out on modding. Felt like playing it more than finishing it. Got back on track last night though. Wife's birthday is today, and mine on Tuesday, so I am not sure how much time I will have to spend on it (especially today).

Before I forget and post this in this thread I want to say Happy Birthday today to your wife and also to you, even though it is two days too early. You are the kind of person that joins our site and is a pleasure to have around. You're knowledgeable about many things,helpful and are always a pleasure to have around. (And you can't say that about everyone who joins.) My only regret is that you have not been with us since the site started up six years back.

As far as working on your mod, you got to take a break from it every so often. Jim825 has often said this in the forums and in the shoutbox. Sometimes you need a few days away just to get yourself wanting to go back in there again. I always bring up the example of what Hory did when he created his 1994 mod. It took him 18 months to do because he took his time and he made sure everything was just to his liking. And if you've ever played the 1994 season mod you'll see that he was successful in making one of the best season mods out there. So, take your time.

Oh, and you can say bad things about the Red Sox, you just can't be a Yankee fan, and say bad things about the Red Sox. Look at things from the outside, and you will see, it goes both ways though ;)

Exactly right. It all depends on how you look at things. And I'll be the first to admit there is too much Yankee-Red Sox crap talked about in here and that it gets overblown at times. Also those two teams are covered way too much in the National media too, but that's how it always has been.

Before I forget and post this in this thread I want to say Happy Birthday today to your wife and also to you, even though it is two days too early. You are the kind of person that joins our site and is a pleasure to have around. You're knowledgeable about many things,helpful and are always a pleasure to have around. (And you can't say that about everyone who joins.) My only regret is that you have not been with us since the site started up six years back.

As far as working on your mod, you got to take a break from it every so often. Jim825 has often said this in the forums and in the shoutbox. Sometimes you need a few days away just to get yourself wanting to go back in there again. I always bring up the example of what Hory did when he created his 1994 mod. It took him 18 months to do because he took his time and he made sure everything was just to his liking. And if you've ever played the 1994 season mod you'll see that he was successful in making one of the best season mods out there. So, take your time.

Exactly right. It all depends on how you look at things. And I'll be the first to admit there is too much Yankee-Red Sox crap talked about in here and that it gets overblown at times. Also those two teams are covered way too much in the National media too, but that's how it always has been.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, and kind words. It's greatly appreciated.

As far as the mod goes, some of it is very fun, and I can keep on going. Some of it gets old real fast. I want to keep doing the fun stuff, but I know from experience that:

A ) If I do all the fun stuff first, then I have to deal with all of the boring stuff at the same time, towards the end, and that ends up meaning cutting corners.

B ) There is an order to some of the stuff that needs done, and to really do it right, it helps to do it in that order. Otherwise, you may end up going back and having to redo some things later.

And last, at least you know there is a reason for all of the Red Sox/Yankees coverage, and the rivalry... When you have two top notch franchises, with so much great tradition, and so many great players (plus the most money to spend)... Your bound to have them be the most popular teams, and most covered..

Add to that the fact they are both in the same division, and you get the hated rivalry. As much as I don't care much for either team, and get tired of the coverage, you have to appreciate it all.

And last, at least you know there is a reason for all of the Red Sox/Yankees coverage, and the rivalry... When you have two top notch franchises, with so much great tradition, and so many great players (plus the most money to spend)... Your bound to have them be the most popular teams, and most covered..

Add to that the fact they are both in the same division, and you get the hated rivalry. As much as I don't care much for either team, and get tired of the coverage, you have to appreciate it all.

Everything you said here is true. Now look at this from my perspective for a second. Ever since Boston won their championships, their fans have become more and more intolerable. They act like they are better than everyone else and if you dare disagree with them they'll act all offended and they'll run off and tell on you. It's almost like since they finally saw their team win a championship it gave them the right to push people around and find fault in them when you don't agree with them.

Everything you said here is true. Now look at this from my perspective for a second. Ever since Boston won their championships, their fans have become more and more intolerable. They act like they are better than everyone else and if you dare disagree with them they'll act all offended and they'll run off and tell on you. It's almost like since they finally saw their team win a championship it gave them the right to push people around and find fault in them when you don't agree with them.

Prove it.

Man, wait til our Cubbies win.... You don't like Boston fans, you're really gonna hate us. :D lol I mean, according to most fans of other teams on the MLB site, we are already intolerable.

I mean, we suck, and we still think our history is probably better than any other teams history, other than the Yankees.

Man, wait til our Cubbies win.... You don't like Boston fans, you're really gonna hate us. :D lol I mean, according to most fans of other teams on the MLB site, we are already intolerable.

I mean, we suck, and we still think our history is probably better than any other teams history, other than the Yankees.

No, I don't think so. I think the Chicago fan would just be happy that their team won. I mean look at the White Sox five years ago. They won after such a long time and they were happy about it without throwing it in everyone's face. My guess is the Cub fans will do the same when the time comes.

Y4L:Everything you said here is true. Now look at this from my perspective for a second. Ever since Boston won their championships, their fans have become more and more intolerable. They act like they are better than everyone else and if you dare disagree with them they'll act all offended and they'll run off and tell on you. It's almost like since they finally saw their team win a championship it gave them the right to push people around and find fault in them when you don't agree with them.

This is not a personal jab at anyone, but it amazes me how Yankees and Red Sox fans are so similar, yet constantly ***** about each other. The Yankees have some of the MOST obnoxious, self-entitled fans in ALL of sports, yet think that the Sox fans are worse.

I'll tell you right now, obviously I am a fan of neither team, and there are days I dread coming in here, because of the crap that takes place between certain members, and their teams. Both sets of fans have some obnoxious, sometimes rude fans, and then there are some fans that are a treat to talk with. What cracks me up is, if it wasn't for their almost, obsessive, cult-like following of their teams, they would be a treat to converse with all the time.

So please, before any of you comment on how horrible the other teams fans are, remember, you could be rooting for the Jays, Royals, Reds, or any other team that has no hope in Hell.

Updated to 2-28

...Condolences to the people of Chile, who on Saturday experienced an earthquake that registered 8.8 on the Richter scale. Just ask any of our users on this site that live in Southern California, an 8.8 earthquake is off the charts. Not even the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco registered that high.

...Thank God we've made it to the last day of February. We're not done with winter yet, but we are getting close.

...Minor miracle: early this morning around 2 am my snow plow guy came to do the driveway without me having to call him.

...Just wondering, but where's Kraw been lately?

...It still makes me wonder how the Reds signed that Cuban pitcher Adrolis Chapman and someone like the Yankees didn't. Either the Yankees noticed something or they just made a big mistake.

...And good luck to all you fantasy draft guys who should be busy in the coming weeks with your leagues. I've never been in one myself. I just don't have the time to devote to being in one and I also refuse to be in a position to draft any Red Sox SOB's on my team, so that takes care of that.

...It took awhile for it to happen, but the NCAA mod is finally starting to shape up to be a good one. It just took the right kind of people to get involved in it instead of NYM.

...There's a lot of frustrating things in this world and among them are being outbid on ebay by one dollar for something that you really wanted.

...Anyone here ever hear of the Avalon Hill game company? These days they make a lot of war based games but years ago they did make a lot of sports games.

...Well, Tuesday is the big day. That's when we'll start to learn if 2k10 is a hit or not. I'm hoping that it's a good one.