Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Yankee4Life

Random Thoughts On A Sunday Morning Updated To 12-22

Updated to 2-15

...Thanks to all that started this thread today. I was out of town for the weekend and I just got home about 90 minutes ago. I went for a short visit to my wife's hometown.

...The best part about the entire weekend is when I get to say my goodbyes. :lol:

...Highway robbery is alive and well in the state I live in. Each time I drive on the New York State Thruway, the tolls are increased.

...Same for the rest stops on the Thruway. McDonalds conveniently does not have a dollar menu at the Thruway rest stops.

...I survived another Valentine's Day.

...This is going to be a great week no matter how you look at it. We're going to see the players at spring training. Finally, it's here.

...If you don't do anything today on this website, at least say Happy Birthday to Pirate. Every one of us has one or more (probably ALL) of his stadiums on your hard drive. Give him a happy birthday greeting, he deserves it.

...Someone on this website told me on Friday that they read that four players went up to the reporters and said that A-Rod's name was on that list of 104 names. Why would players do that to a fellow union member?

...With the reporters obsessed about this A-Rod stuff, this should give people like CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett and Mark Teixeira an easier time in their first Yankee spring camp.

...Spring Training reports begin on February 25th on the MLB Network. They're starting with the Red Sox. WHY?? Why does it have to be them? Here's a wild and crazy suggestion: how about if they start with the team that won the World Series? Don't you think the Phils deserve that?

...Spring Training reports begin on February 25th on the MLB Network. They're starting with the Red Sox. WHY?? Why does it have to be them? Here's a wild and crazy suggestion: how about if they start with the team that won the World Series? Don't you think the Phils deserve that?

Nah. They aren't located quite near enough a coast in order to be relevant to network programming execs. They're like 5 miles too far inland.

Updated to 2-22

...Don't look now but Spring training games start this week! And then of course we have next week when the World Who-Gives-A-SH** tournament starts. That's when we all hope that our players don't get hurt while this is going on.

...Other countries may look forward to this and I can understand why, because they don't have major league baseball there, but the risk of injury is there. The Yankees got lucky in 2006 in this thing and I just hope they do it again.

...I took a look at ESPN's home page right before I made this post and was shocked to see that no where on the front page Alex Rodriguez was mentioned. That could change when you go and check that page because they constantly update it and as soon as they find out that they don't have a picture or an article about him, they'll throw one up there in a hurry.

...One more thing about him: why are people (the media and the people in here) trying to analyze every single word the guy said? He admitted he did it. He's taking his lumps for this. But because people that have too much time on their hands want to play conspiracy theorists, this has to happen.

...I don't know how the hell this happened, but suddenly I developed a head cold and a sore throat that feels like I swallowed thumbtacks.

...Good luck to Ken Griffey Junior in Seattle. It will seem like old times. And as soon as he gets hurt again, it will really seem like old times.

...CC Sabathia's an Oakland Raider fan. I told you he was a good fit for the Yankees! ;)

...Any movie Morgan Freeman is in, I'll watch.

...Why is Sarah Palin still in the news three months after the election?

...For anyone that watches Psych on the USA Network, wasn't Friday's show one of the best?

Thanks for the mention in last week's Random Thoughts!

I know why Palin is in the news, but let's not get into that...

From Bill Reynolds @ ProJo.com

The fallout from A-Rod’s mea culpa press conference continues.

Yesterday’s New York Daily News had the report that for years now A-Rod has had a relationship with a trainer who has been banned in Major League clubhouses, complete with that same trainer traveling with him during the 2007 season, staying in the same hotel room on the road with A-Rod’s cousin.

So if A-Rod and the Yankees believe this is going away anytime soon they are deluding themselves.

A-Rod is no longer a baseball player. He is a celebrity in a celebrity culture that both glorifies them and makes them pay for that glorification, too. It’s a dance with the devil, and now it’s the devil’s turn at bat.

---You have to be beyond naïve, Bunky, to believe that performance drugs are not a raging river through the NFL.

---There’s no truth to the rumor that blaming your cousin is forever known in sports as the Ty Law defense.

---Bud Selig said A-Rod shamed the game? Sorry, Bud. The Steroid Era happened on your watch, and you did nothing about it.

---Line of the Week comes from Joel Sherman of the New York Post on A-Rod: ``No one thinks about himself more and knows himself less, than Alex Rodriguez.’’

---Line of the Week II comes from agent Scott Boras on Manny not in spring training with any team yet: ``When you’re that good a cake, it takes little frosting.’’

---Which only begs the questions, does Manny know that spring training has started yet?

---Shaq has turned into a cartoon.

---Tom Brady finally speaks, and it’s like the seas part.

---But I’d rather hear A-Rod’s cousin speak.

---Even if ``it’s my cousin’s fault’’ has become the adult version of my dog ate my homework.

---If the Yankees can withstand this A-Rod onslaught and go on to have a great season, they’re a lot mentally tougher than I’m giving them credit for.

---You’ve got to love actor Mickey Roarke who, according to the New York Post, was asked he if was dating Courtney Love and said, ``I’d rather be on a desert island with a gorilla.’’

--Football players skate on the steroids issue, and baseball players get demonized. Is that about it?

---The Oscars are to celebrity what spring training is to baseball, an annual glorification.

---You know it’s bizarro world where Jose Canseco has turned out to be one of the oracles of truth.

---Zen Question of the Week: can a new movie about two guys sneaking into a cheerleading camp not do well?

---A-Rod’s ``young and dumb’’ defense doesn’t wash, not for someone as egocentric as he is.

---When’s Madonna show up to stand by her man?

---No sport sells itself better than baseball, turning weeks and weeks of spring training into an event, even if so much of it is really much ado about nothing.

...And then of course we have next week when the World Who-Gives-A-SH** tournament starts. That's when we all hope that our players don't get hurt while this is going on.

...Other countries may look forward to this and I can understand why, because they don't have major league baseball there, but the risk of injury is there. The Yankees got lucky in 2006 in this thing and I just hope they do it again...

But isn't there a higher risk of injury playing through 162+ games rather than playing baseball for a month? Really not sure why people automatically assign a "risk of injury" to WBC and that players would be better of not playing in that tournament, when a player could be just as injured by working out over the off-season or anytime during the season.

But one thing I will agree with is that a player is under contract with his team and he has an obligation to his team. I kinda understand why teams might be a little hesitant to send their players to the tournament. I guess any team would much rather have their players get injured playing for them rather for someone else, but it's not like they are playing a completely new sport. Besides, the exposure is always a good thing.

* Anyway, I finally sent in my order for a new computer and I am actually quite excited about building my very own. I should be getting all the parts in sometime next week. Will post a screen when I have assembled everything. Next Gen. here I come!

* The next thing would be to sell my 360 Elite and get a PS3. I just can't resist not playing The Show anymore. Besides, all the games I have now are available for PS3 as well.

* Has anyone played F.E.A.R. 2 yet? I played the prequel and it was one of the best games I had ever played. Scared the **** out of me at times, but an amazing game nonetheless. And now that I am going to have a better computer, these are the games that are on my wish list: Call of Duty 4, F.E.A.R. 2, NBA 2k9, Fallout 2, Age of Empires III, Crysis, World in Conflict, Warcraft III, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and Prince of Persia.

But isn't there a higher risk of injury playing through 162+ games rather than playing baseball for a month? Really not sure why people automatically assign a "risk of injury" to WBC and that players would be better of not playing in that tournament, when a player could be just as injured by working out over the off-season or anytime during the season.

But one thing I will agree with is that a player is under contract with his team and he has an obligation to his team. I kinda understand why teams might be a little hesitant to send their players to the tournament. I guess any team would much rather have their players get injured playing for them rather for someone else, but it's not like they are playing a completely new sport. Besides, the exposure is always a good thing.

* Anyway, I finally sent in my order for a new computer and I am actually quite excited about building my very own. I should be getting all the parts in sometime next week. Will post a screen when I have assembled everything. Next Gen. here I come!

* The next thing would be to sell my 360 Elite and get a PS3. I just can't resist not playing The Show anymore. Besides, all the games I have now are available for PS3 as well.

* Has anyone played F.E.A.R. 2 yet? I played the prequel and it was one of the best games I had ever played. Scared the **** out of me at times, but an amazing game nonetheless. And now that I am going to have a better computer, these are the games that are on my wish list: Call of Duty 4, F.E.A.R. 2, NBA 2k9, Fallout 2, Age of Empires III, Crysis, World in Conflict, Warcraft III, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and Prince of Persia.

Crysis runs incredible on my machine. It is really an awesome game, it really just depends how your rig runs it.

Updated to 3-1

...What a day! It's the first of March. Spring is officially around the corner and the calendar will verify that! And next month is opening day all around baseball.

...Tomorrow is the release of 2k9 for the PC. I've been reading good things and terrible things about this game. Keep in mind that all you are hearing about this game is from opinions of other people. There's nothing as fickle as public opinion. I'll find out how good or bad this is after I buy it and try it out because I'd rather trust myself instead of a fanboy's rants and reviews.

...I saw Gran Torino on Friday night and now I understand why everyone liked it so much.

...Want a great movie to rent? Go out and get Changling with Angelina Jolie. She plays the part of a mother who's son is kidnapped in Los Angeles in 1928 and the cops find the boy-the wrong one-and insist it is hers. A true story.

...R.I.P. to my original XBox. Born 2001, died, last night.

...Ok, really, when's Manny going to sign? I thought he would sign before spring training was going to start. This is beyond ridiculous now.

...Work is a funny thing. You may hate going to it, you may even loathe it. But when you can't go to it you see how much you really need it.

...A big welcome back to Carter, who just came back to the site a few days back.

...I just hope the Yankees do not trade Brett Gardner.

...Every time I read about these guys raving about the PS3 it makes me want one even more. I was at Gamestop the other day and I saw one on display. The graphics are unreal.

...I have to agree with Y4L about Manny, He is a first ballot HOFer. He may be a pain in the backside but he can turn any good team, great with his bat.

...I am anxiously waiting on my copy of MLB The Show 09. I preordered it on thursday and it could arrive between 1-14 days after it's release. I play on the demo at least 4 times whenever i go on PS3, i personally can't wait for this game because it looks great and the gameplay despite like all games has its flaws but they don't bother me at all because the great/good things far overshadow any bad things.

...It is great that Spring Training is back and i'm looking forward who makes it onto the 25 man roster for the Red Sox.

...I checked NFL.com and to my shock the Chiefs have acquired Cassel, i doubt it will make much difference and they will still probably lose 10+ games

I like to think about this Manny thing in MVP Terms.

...Manny Ramirez will have the same damn Pressbox he has had since 2005.

...R.I.P. to my original XBox. Born 2001, died, last night.

...and...

...Every time I read about these guys raving about the PS3 it makes me want one even more. I was at Gamestop the other day and I saw one on display. The graphics are unreal.

...come to the Dark Side!

Updated to 3-8

...What a change this website has taken on since 2k9 for the PC was released five days ago. Despite the fact if you like or dislike the game, we've all had an opinion on it.

...A huge thanks must go out to Pirate for his two stadiums in 2k9 and for rolie who uploaded Dodger Stadium last night and for Snash13 for making the latest rosters for this game. Like I've been telling people in the shoutbox all this week, if it can be modded in this game, these guys can do it and it will look good.

...Sure as hell didn't take long for us Yankee fans to start worrying about this year's team, didn't it?

...Bad luck seems to go up to Alex Rodriguez occasionally and lets him know that he's never that far from him.

...If Alex Rodriguez has to miss ten weeks, have the surgery done NOW so he can get it out of the way. Don't drag it on.

...Listening to people in here blame steroids for the reason A-Rod has as cyst is laughable. If that's so, explain the reason why many other people get cysts and never touch or touched steroids at all?

...I was gone for most of the afternoon yesterday because I had to take my wife to a Psychic Fair. It was kind of interesting, but I'd have rather not been there. The first thing that hit me when I walked in that large room was the smell of incense. It was like a requirement for every table there to have one of those burning.

...I may not be that interested in the WBC, but it was sure nice to see the Netherlands beat the Dominican Republic.

...Just to let everyone know, there's going to be a WBC update in the MVP Caribe 08 mod and that should be coming out this week!

...MarkB? Get back here, please?

- The WBC is cool, caught a game last night and when I woke up. Both were laughers, but... I guess I miss baseball.

- What to do with A-Rod. the Yankees need him to compete, a 30 HR 100 RBI version of him is better than nothing.

- Sadly we got 8 more years...

- Obama is doing everything like Bush, yet people think he isn't like Bush. cult of Personality.

- Sadly we got 8 more years...

- McCain wouldn't have been any different, these two parties are complete crap.

- Ron Paul still kicks ***.

- Tesla's (Remember the song "Love Song" of twenty years ago) new album "Forever More" is a great album, and not by 'some crappy 80 band reunited and made a new album' sorta standards. It really stands up to their classic material. It's better than "Bust a Nut" and is on par with "Psychotic Supper."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmT-aQ6EOz0

Updated to 3-15

...This here is my first random thought post on my new computer. It arrived on Friday and it really is a nice little setup. Of course, Vista is the operating system on here and since I didn't have this OS before, I am in a learning stage. I miss my XP Pro.

...If any of you can recommend any movies for me to watch on Blu Ray, I would be grateful. It came with a Blu Ray drive and I want to buy or rent a movie in that format to see how good Blu Ray really is.

...Good thing: new computer. Bad thing: re-installing everything.

...How about the great job the Caribe guys did on the WBC mod? And just as impressive to quickly release an update to that mod that fixed the minor issues with the 1.0 release. Doesn't shock me one bit, because I have admired those guys and what they do for many years now. They really know their stuff!

...It's kind of odd though. I really am not following the actual WBC except for bits and pieces. I was happy to hear about the success of the Netherlands team, but I haven't been keeping close tabs on this at all with the exception of scanning the MLB home page to see if any Yankees got hurt. Despite all that, this mod is a joy to play.

...What's up with Firefox 3.0? Is this worth using or should I go back and try to find a download for version 2.0?

...It seems that every time I actually want to read an article on ESPN it always seems to be an Insider one.

...Now comes the only time of the year that I pay attention to college basketball.

...Good to see Alex Rodriguez having that surgery now and getting it over with. It would not surprise me if he came back sooner than expected.

...Thank you one million times over KGBaseball for releasing a new roster set. At least five times a day someone comes in the shoutbox to ask or demand about this.

this is a cool idea.

...i like mlb 2k9

...i have been trying to mod the files following guides and stuff posted here and i am happy with the results

...i wish there was more that could be done to it but i guess we live with what we have

...3 weeks from monday until the season starts and i can't wait to see cc on that new mound in a beautiful stadium striking out the first batter he faces. mark it down it will happen

...i still cant believe the yankees open on the road

...i dont think not replacing arod will not be a mistake we can get by without him

- My douchebag neighbor busted my balls that I made too much noise 'the last two hours.' Problem was I was in Danbury...

- A.J. Burnett is a good pitcher, but that contract will be a stain on the Yankees when it is all said and done.

- Winter is finally over, pretty snowy and cold.

- The economy is cold and dead and Obama's Bush style inflation tactic won't work.

- "Fatherland" was a good 1994 HBO movie. Someone loaded it up on youtube.

- This: vince3.gif

Updated to 3-22

...Welcome to Spring! I love spring. For those of us who live on the east coast, you look forward to Springtime as much as you look forward to Christmas.

...Ok, I'm back. Just let the dogs out. Spring must have taken a detour around where I live because it's freezing out. :(

...I'm getting used to Vista now. Or maybe I should say that Vista is getting used to me.

...All I know is that my hi-res photos look even better now.

...I may be getting into selling some things I own on E-bay soon. Worth a shot, right?

...It seems that every day when I am in here I read about a new complaint about 2k9.

...Thank God this WBC is almost over.

...Three updates to Total Classics mods were released a couple days ago. Any bit of free time that I thought I'd have in the immediate future has disappeared. :lol:

...I think I am going to like watching Mark Teixeira play this year for the Yankees.

...Eventually I want to say the same thing about Robinson Cano and sidekick Melky, who both did nothing at all last year.

-My roommate took a shower this morning and forgot to bring his keys. I am in a tripled dorm room and had to get up early out of my lofted bed to let him in.

- John Maine has me very nervous since every outing he has had this spring has been atrocious.

-I'm feeling optimistic about Livan making the squad (most likely)

-I have work to do and all I want to do is browse this site.

-Y4L's sig is the best sig I've ever seen on the internet. You should make it link to a click-count site and see how many clicks it gets. Guaranteed most of them would be gamebase.

-I'm out.

- One week boyz, one more week and baseball will be back.

- You can always count on Fuzz to pop up this time of year.

- I am still in aww with MLB 09 "The Show".

- Cut back on drinking coffee to one cup a day and I normally drink (witch I am doing now) it first thing in the morning. I guess its good for me but I just hate the feeling I get as soon as I am done that cup... "I cant wait til the next morning just so I can have another".

- Been lifting weights and I have noticed a real difference, I mean it's only been over like a month now but check this out. Since I been going to the Gym, like the first day I signed up I started to do pushups and that first day and I am not going to lie to ya, I stuggled to get 10 pushups, so last night I wanted to see how many I could do in a row and this is what I did. I did 40 pushups, and while doing them I decide to do sets. I did 40, 30, 20 and 10 in a matter of a half hour. So that 100 pushups and since its Sunday I decide to go to the Gym this morning and do some leg and ab workouts.

- My 11 year old daughter did this NBA/WNBA skills challenge thing at our neighborhood playground, where they had different drills they ran and stuff like that. Well My daughter won first place in the fastest dribbling competition. Now I got a call last Friday from the people running this thing and that they want to invite my daughter to the next one they have and every kid who comes gets 2 tickets to the Sixers game that afternoon when they play the Pistons. Not only that, the kids who get first place in each competition will get to go on the Sixers court for a pregame ceremony.

Updated to 3-29

...Just watched my first movie on blu-ray last night. I could not believe the detail. There were some scenes where I was too busy looking around to watch what was going on. Im-press-ive!

...Can it be that Opening Day is a week away? Or I should say Opening Night, since there's no such thing as tradition anymore.

...Baseball in my opinion should start each year in Cincinnati with a day game.

...Maybe if Bud gets a little kickback, next year this can happen.

...I had a lot of fun playing those series of games in the Total Conversion thread a few days back.

...Derek Jeter hurt his pinkie in a game and it's big news. If Alex Rodriguez would have done the same thing they'd have said it was his fault and he was clumsy.

...I wonder who gets the center field job for the Yanks? After Melky's snooze job last year, should he get another chance? Glad I'm not deciding this.

...Like Thome said, you can always count on Fuzz popping up this time of year. Truth is, I wish he was here every day like he used to be.

...By the way, great job on your PS3 wallpapers Thome. I plan on saving the Yankee one you are going to make and I haven't even seen it yet. :)

...Did you ever notice that when you are in a hurry to get somewhere the person ahead of you that you can't get by seems to know this and drives even slower?

...Went to Barnes and Noble yesterday with the intent of using a gift card I got from Christmas. Wrong day to do it. It was packed and there was also a group of kids that were singing songs for some reason. They sang, I left. Maybe I'll just use the gift card online.

- Too bad YES doesn't have all the ST games on. The Mets may be a chickenshit team but they wound up with a better TV channel by far. (minus Yankeeographies of course)

- Regular baseball will be back on soon, even the Pirates are in first place for a day.

- Too many teams this year have too many holes. The Tigers lack a pitching staff, the Cubs did not improve a whole lot, the Phillies got worse, the Angels are already injured and Guerrero aged a year on top of it...

The only three teams I think are coming into this season looking good are the Devil Rays, Red Sox, and Yankees. They have well-rounded rosters with a hole here or there. Sadly they are all in the same division, something has to give.

- I have a really good feeling about the Cardinals this year, not saying they will be that good, but the Brewers and Cubs will probably be a whole lot worse.

- He's not a superstar or anything, but how's Mark Grudzielanek collecting unemployment checks while Angel Berroa or Cody "Incredibly Untalented" Ransom are going to play third base in the Bronx?

- Too bad YES doesn't have all the ST games on. The Mets may be a chickenshit team but they wound up with a better TV channel by far. (minus Yankeeographies of course)

- Regular baseball will be back on soon, even the Pirates are in first place for a day.

- Too many teams this year have too many holes. The Tigers lack a pitching staff, the Cubs did not improve a whole lot, the Phillies got worse, the Angels are already injured and Guerrero aged a year on top of it...

The only three teams I think are coming into this season looking good are the Devil Rays, Red Sox, and Yankees. They have well-rounded rosters with a hole here or there. Sadly they are all in the same division, something has to give.

- I have a really good feeling about the Cardinals this year, not saying they will be that good, but the Brewers and Cubs will probably be a whole lot worse.

- He's not a superstar or anything, but how's Mark Grudzielanek collecting unemployment checks while Angel Berroa or Cody "Incredibly Untalented" Ransom are going to play third base in the Bronx?

I don't understand why you are not liking the cubs this year. Milton Bradley is thrown into the mix, a huge much needed left handed bat (switch as well). Gregg looks good too, and we improved the pen. Looks good to me.

Haven't been here in a bit, please excuse this post while I shake the rust off...

-Now that Facebook has become basically Twitter with picture albums, I decided to get one of those too... twitter.com/ronm3xico if you wish to follow.

-I can't wait for opening day, key days till then.

4/2 Should buy a new Mets hat.

4/3 MLB At Bat for iPhone gets released, Mets vs Red Sox at Citi (which I should be going to).

4/5 Longest day of the year, God help me find something to do to get through it without thinking about the Mets too much.

4/6 Opening Day.

-Hopefully Maine, Perez and Pelfrey can show themselves this year, and Livan gives us at least a reasonable couple months out of that 5 spot. Our rotation may be the new pen :\

Around the Rest of the League

-On the other side of town, looks like Gardner is making a good run for legendary CF on the Yankees being bffls with Girardi.

-In the windy city, looks like Gregg's amazing spring has wrapped up the closers post for him, good job from Marmol though doing his best Ankiel imitation this spring hitting 5 batters.

-Curt Schilling calls it quits. Little tidbit I heard about him, if he goes into the hall of fame, he'd be the first pitcher elected to make his debut after 1968. It's amazing how long it's been.

-Still on the board, a lefty reliever with a 3.68 ERA last year, probably willing to pitch for crumbs of bread at this point, Will Ohman remains unsigned.

-Will Zumaya ever regain his pre-Guitar Hero form? Only time will tell, but keep him away from Rock Band in case he hasn't heard of it.

-Good for the Rays and Orioles, keep your best pitcher and player down for a couple months so you don't have to pay him, it's the smart baseball move for sure...

-The Phillies earlier this week acquired the most useless lefty reliever, Jack Taschner. Lefties hit .297 against him last year and .317 the year before.

My Final Thought

-I don't quite get the consistent negative press Reyes gets. When he said he would move to the 3rd position in the batting order if the team asked him, they called it a passive-aggressive approach. When Hanley was offered the same position he was considered to be warm and appealing because he said "That means I'm dangerous". Then Hanley comes in with "I'm Sick of This S**t" sharpied on his stomach demanding a trade because he didn't want to cut his hair and take off his jewlery. I get that Reyes has been immature in the past, but theres no reason to hold it against him now, there are 2 eras for him, pre-Manuel and post. The post has shown maturity and leadership (despite whatever you want to say about his dancing) while the pre was a child in a man's body. Either Florida needs more media or people need to be a little more forgiving and give a second chance to Reyes.

...It is disappointing going into this year thinking 81 wins will be a stretch. Last time I had this mindset about the Tigers was 2005. (I thought they would go .500 in '06, I had no idea what was in store)

...God, I hope Adam Dunn hits 40 HR's this year. He has already done it so many years in a row. If I didn't already have a Nationals jersey, I would pick up his.

...The Rays will have a tough time making the playoffs this year, they look darn good this year, but the Yankees and Sox look even better.

...I can't wait to go down to Cincy next weekend to see the Reds play. Jay Bruce's autograph couldn't hurt either.

...In regards to the first thing I said, the Tigers just don't have the pitching. It would take 2 diamonds in the rough. (ie. Porcello or Robertson) The bullpen could get ugly as well. I would rather have Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd out there instead of Willis.

...It's a shame the Oil Can never got an offer.

...I picked up a new set of Irons. Maxfli Black Max. They are pretty darn sweet. I was hitting them well at the store. Plus at $200 you can't beat the price.