Random Thoughts On A Sunday Morning Updated To 11-19

Yankee4Life

I know the Yanks never would have won in '77 and '78 without Reggie. I was a big fan of the team at the time-except for Reggie-I always thought he was too arrogant for my taste. Munson was the true heart and soul of those teams.

Anyone that was around at that time and saw what was going on would not argue with you and I am certianly not going to. Munson was exactly what you said - the heart and soul of those great Yankee teams. I count myself lucky that I saw him play.

But you must see we are talking about two different things here. I brought up what Jackson said about Rodriguez recently and it really had nothing to do with how he was during his Yankee years. Like him or not, Jackson said things about A-Rod that everyone must have been silently thinking to themselves but for one reason or another did not say it out loud.

He just spoke his mind. I happen to agree with him. He keeps saying he's good friends with A-Rod, so he probably told him all of this before. If that's true none of this should be a surprise to nobody.

And yeah, A-Rod chokes again.

Updated to 7-22

...The arrest last week of Denver Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil for aggravated assault with a firearm means only one thing for football fans and that is that the NFL training camps are getting ready to open.

...Sarah Palin was not invited to next month's Republican Convention in Tampa, which only goes to show you how much the GOP wants to win in November.

...The Boy Scouts of America recently reaffirmed its policy to excluding gays from joining or being leaders in their organization which of course brought on the expected backlash from the politically correct watchdogs. Agree with it or not, the BSA is a privately owned group and they can run it how they see fit.

...Although at the same time the BSA has to realize that after this the chance of Elton John and Ricky Martin performing for them at their annual convention has now slipped from slim to none.

...I had to laugh at the confessions that a Utah man owned up to after he died a few weeks back, admitting to a few things that he had done that no one knew about when he was alive and it got me to thinking what I'd write to my wife when it was my time. It might be something like this:

1. Honey, all the times you misplaced your phone and I said I was looking for it I really wasn't.

2. Remember that time that crystal vase broke upstairs and I said the dog did it? It was me.

3. Every single time you tried to make burgers on the grill and you burned them I said I didn't mind. I did.

4. Now I can tell you where I hid your Christmas presents all these years. I put them in the garage next to the garbage pail because I am aware that you know where everything in the house is except for that.

5. No, I never met John Bon Jovi.

6. When we were driving home from Cooperstown that time and I said I was taking a shortcut home and you said we were lost, well we were lost.

7. Every time I said I loved you I meant it.

...A woman from Massachusetts was arrested for stalking Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein and the reason she gave to the police was that she just wanted to invite him to go to church. At least one Cub has a fan even if it is the team president.

...Wait a minute. Now Pete Rose is going to have his own reality show? How exciting is this going to be watching a guy who spends his days at racetracks and playing poker? Oh yeah, I forgot. He also does card shows where he'll sign anything for a buck. Set your DVR's for this one.

...Cleveland pitcher Roberto Hernandez, better known to baseball fans as Fausto Carmona was suspended for three weeks by Major League Baseball for age and identity fraud. Back in January the Indians found out that Carmona wasn't actually Carmona and that he aged three years overnight. Doesn't matter because whether he calls himself Carmona or Hernandez or Santiago he's the same when he's out there pitching because he still can't get anybody out.

...When the subject of advertising possibly being placed on major league uniforms because the NBA will be allowing it was asked to Bud Selig, the king of doubletalk, he said that baseball was in no hurry to do this because baseball's uniforms are really important. But before he changed the subject and started talking about instant replay he said that you can "never say never" about having ads on the uniforms which just leads you to believe that if McDonalds gives this guy a check with a lot of zeros on it in a few years every team will have something from the dollar menu on their backs.

...It's that time of year Yankee fans as we wonder what stupid move they'll make at the trade deadline that costs us some of our good minor league players.

...There's an amusement park in China that is giving half price admission to women wearing short skirts and as an added attraction the patrons are encouraged to splash water on them. Makes you want to go there and join in on the fun, doesn't it?

...I saw a video of Justin Verlander pitching against Chicago's Gordon Beckham where he sawed off his bat after Beckham tried to check his swing on an 100 mile-per-hour pitch. The pitch that this occurred on was Verlander's 116th of the evening and for most pitchers at that time they are either out of gas or already out of the game. So much for Kate Upton distracting him.

...No one ever understands why it happens or what makes a person go into a movie theater to start shooting people that they don't even know but it does and it did happen and now all that is left is grieving families, lucky but terrified survivors and a bunch of answered questions about this starting with this one. Why?

...You can't help but wonder if there are going to be any permanent changes for movie goers after this. I won't even try to wager a guess but I can't help but think we are going to have something else besides high ticket prices and six dollar boxes of candy to deal with the next time we see a movie.

What's up with crazy women and stalking GM's ? Last year it was Cashman, this year Epstein. I thought you had to play to be eligible to be stalked.

Wife burning burgers...check!

Being lost on the road and not admitting to the Mrs... Check!

Never met Bon Jovi either, but that's fine.

And yes, I'm always terrified of what the Yankees might do at this time of the year.

What's up with crazy women and stalking GM's ? Last year it was Cashman, this year Epstein. I thought you had to play to be eligible to be stalked.

I don't know. But it sure is kind of odd isn't it?

Never met Bon Jovi either, but that's fine.

She's a big Bon Jovi fan and once I told her I met him and she fell for it. I wouldn't mind fessing up but either it will break her heart or else she'd break something on me. :lol:

And I was terrified of what the Yankees might do, and then they go and get Ichiro for virtually nothing. Nice!

Ibanez and Jones have been spending way too much time in the outfield. Better put them back in the DH spot before they get hurt. And Ichiro can still play defense.

Besides, the marketing aspect of this trade will be huge.

And I was terrified of what the Yankees might do, and then they go and get Ichiro for virtually nothing. Nice!

Ibanez and Jones have been spending way too much time in the outfield. Better put them back in the DH spot before they get hurt. And Ichiro can still play defense.

Besides, the marketing aspect of this trade will be huge.

Agreed 100%

The Yankee Stadium should also hide some of his offensive decline. Let's just hope it doesn't hide it too much so that we don't do anything stupid in the offseason like re-signing him.

Also, I was a little puzzled by this: "A couple years ago, we acquired Lance Berkman . He was huge for us down the stretch and the end of the year. He just got on a roll and I think Ichiro can do the same thing."

As I remember it, Berkman wasn't so huge. But I get why Girardi said it.

The Yankee Stadium should also hide some of his offensive decline. Let's just hope it doesn't hide it too much so that we don't do anything stupid in the offseason like re-signing him.

Also, I was a little puzzled by this: "A couple years ago, we acquired Lance Berkman . He was huge for us down the stretch and the end of the year. He just got on a roll and I think Ichiro can do the same thing."

As I remember it, Berkman wasn't so huge. But I get why Girardi said it.

You're right. In 37 games with the Yankees in 2010 Berkman hit .255 with one home run and nine RBI. I don't know why Girardi thought with numbers like that that Berkman was "on a roll" during his time in New York. Sometimes baseball managers have to be politicians too.

Hanley Ramirez traded to the Dodgers, where he will play SS at least until Dee Gordon comes back. Hanley at 3B... well, that crashed and burned fast...

Wandy Rodriguez to the Pirates. Smart of them. Anything to prevent a repeat of last season's 2nd half collapse. Wandy should come in handy.

A-Rod breaks hand. Seems the more I talk trash about him, the better he plays. Then when he's finally getting some hits, making his existence in the Yankees lineup almost tolerable, King Felix breaks his hand... I just hope Eric Chavez can handle all that time in the field until 'The Alex' returns.

wandy is good news for pirates fans just hope he delivers, just wonder which is the odd man out bedard or corriea,my guess is bedard since corriea has a few good games in a row but both can be keys if they both can get it all together,both can be a major help in long relief if any of the other starters are having a rough game

Posting this here because I wouldn't know where else to put it. And before I go on, what happened in Aurora was one of the the worst things that could have happened. This is getting some news and I just wanted to see what people thought.

For those who don't know, rapper Lil Wayne's new music video for this song, My Homies Still, came out three days before the shootings in Aurora. The video is very strange and has a buch of crazy parts that make no sense to anyone. At the end, around the 3:38 mark, there is scene with the group in a movie theater and 12 skeletons in the theater. The same number as the number killed in the shooting. It later shows more to about 24. The video came out before the shooting and is a horrible coincidence. Lil Wayne has yet to comment. The video is here (warning for language, the movie theater part is around 3:38):

To me, this is just strange. There are a bunch of conspiracies, like Illuminati, that people are coming up with and blowing this story up. I think the video will be edited and changed in the next few days. What happened is terrible. Stuff like that should never happen. But I don't think a music video had to do with anything. I think people are looking too much into it. However, the video needs to be chnaged. They should understand, even though the video came out before the shootings.

Well I just watched this video and I did not understand one word this guy was saying, but I still stuck it out until the end. I did see the scene with the skeletons in the movie theater but I didn't understand why they were there or what it was supposed to mean and I do not think for one second that this should be associated with the movie theater incident in any way and if anyone tries doing that they are just grasping at straws.

Police believe this James Holmes guy had this planned long in advance and he didn't get his idea from watching this.

I'm always amazed when some terrorist attack of this sort happens because they're generally perpetrated by complete screw-ups in life, who somehow were able to plan and execute complex plans, involving a lot of variables. They always lack the self-awareness to tell themselves: 'Dude, look at the complexity of what you planned. You could actually do something with your life. Go on and invent a better wheel, a five legged table or whatever'.

I don't think A-Rod is brittle, he's just aging...And he will be for the next 5 or 6 years the Yankees have him signed for.