MVP 2006 Cover-Player Poll ROUND 1

SwinginSoriano

Who should be on our 'cover' for MVP 2006?  

127 members have voted

1. 1.

• Mark Buehrle
    • Derek Lee
    • Roger Clemens
    • Dontrelle Willis
    • Andruw Jones
    • Chicago White Sox Rotation/Team
    • Alex Rodriguez
    • Lance Berkman (Possibly in his Wall Mart outfit :P)
    • Chris Carptenter
    • Write-In Ballot (Other, please indicate, I will count them)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since neither of them won the MVP and Cy Young in the same year, yeah...I would feel differently.

With all due respect, I personally think it's ludicrous to suggest two players from a team that didn't even with the league championship take the cover together. If it was a once in a lifetime World Series win (which the Cardinals pretty much can't achieve), or if Pujols hit .400 and Carpenter had a sub-2.00 ERA with 25 wins it would be one thing. But neither situation occurred, and so there's no reason to put two players from the same team on a cover.

It would take a monumental, once-in-a-lifetime situation for that to happen, so I guess Schilling / Ortiz for 2005 would've kinda made sense, since each was instrumental in such a long-sought victory. Apart from that, I'm not sure.

With all due respect, I personally think it's ludicrous to suggest two players from a team that didn't even with the league championship take the cover together. If it was a once in a lifetime World Series win (which the Cardinals pretty much can't achieve), or if Pujols hit .400 and Carpenter had a sub-2.00 ERA with 25 wins it would be one thing. But neither situation occurred, and so there's no reason to put two players from the same team on a cover.

Brilliant Straw Man arguement. Since neither Carpenter nor Pujols met the criteria you deemed fit, neither should be on the cover, let alone together.

'Once in a lifetime World Series win' only is credited to teams that are traditionally losers (Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Astros, Padres) not a team that has won the second most pennants in baseball history.

Of course, I guess with a game named 'MVP' it's equally silly to have the actual MVP on the cover.

Brilliant Straw Man arguement. Since neither Carpenter nor Pujols met the criteria you deemed fit, neither should be on the cover, let alone together.

'Once in a lifetime World Series win' only is credited to teams that are traditionally losers (Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Astros, Padres) not a team that has won the second most pennants in baseball history.

Of course, I guess with a game named 'MVP' it's equally silly to have the actual MVP on the cover.

Jesus christ man, you're asking to put someone on the cover who was on the cover 2 YEARS AGO. Why not just put Manny Ramirez on the cover again, or Tejada?

1). No one gives a damn about Chris Carpenter outside of St. Louis, and most casual fans don't care who he is.

2). Is Albert Pujols the best player in the NL? Yes. Is he the best player in the MLB? Yes. Should he be on the cover every other season? Of course not.

3). The bottom line is, no one will care about the Cardinals the next time they win, and only a Cardinals fan could support what you're requesting. Any other reasonably intelligent, objective fan would see it as ludicrous. So Pujols unfairly grabbed the MVP from Lee, and Carpenter won the Cy Young because voters only care about wins, it doesn't mean they magically become super-important to the league.

4). EA doesn't typically put the previous year's MVP on the cover, so why should we abide by that now?

I'm done with this argument, flame me all you want, but you should know that your request was just another in a ridiculous number of biased, shortsighted, illogical requests made in this thread. I wish we'd never even bothered with the voting, because seeing how people refuse to look at any objective reasoning other than self-serving means is really frustrating. Some of these write-ins show such stupidity it's just plain shocking.

You've made it very clear Sean O that you wish you had, or you plan to now, take your ball and go home. It's good to see that you're so open minded. You are a true statesmen.

You continue to act like it was an unreasonable request. Chris Carpenter WAS IN THE ORIGINAL VOTING LIST. You seem to ignore that. It's not like I pulled his name out of a hat.

Both people had merit, and since they are the first duo to win the MVP and CY Young in the same year, they were the winningest team in the MLB for the second straight year, I figured it would be a creative and interesting suggestion. Obviously, the top two award winners in their league aren't up to snuff for Sean O.

Archived