WIP: Proposed Oakland Stadium

friar

OK guys, the first (VERY EARLY) screens of Contra Costa Park...shots are from my laptop, which has a crappy video card, so please ignore the poor quality...

screen1.jpg

Building in LF and rooftop bleachers. Still working on textures (obviously).

screen2.jpg

CF backdrop and scoreboard. Still need to fix texture a little bit (remove yellow HR line) and make the jumbotron work.

screen3.jpg

Another view of the LF corner including modded grandstand (note pieces popping out of upper deck; obviously not finished).

Definitely a work in progress, but it is coming along. A good chunk of the oediting is done, though. Still need to figure out what to do with the bullpens, how to do RF; I don't think I can do 2 decks because I don't have enough crowd, so I might have to take some creative license with it ;).

Feedback is more than welcome - please don't trash me like JPL!!! ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks promising if you work on textures, good start.

Yeah, the textures need some work. I have some shady graphics editor and I have to use Photoshop at work to clean everything up. That will take a while. A lot of the oediting is done, though, so that's good. Still need to work on the field/collision data.

Can you use Paint Shop Pro?

Tried to download a trial, but had problems with the install. And I already used my CS2 trial, so Photoshop is out. I just have to do it in my spare time at work.

Hey, while we're modding Oakland A's wish fulfillment fantasies someone should try and see if they can mod another 80 points onto Jay Payton's OBP, some plate discipline onto Chavey, and maybe for Kotsay a back that won't make him have to keep asking his 73 year old neighbor to carry his groceries in from the car for him.

Also, this stadium IS definitely getting built. Just maybe not in Oakland. You might want to leave in room for some slot machines.

Stadium is proposed for San Jose...not Oakland read buddy. Bradley is a career .350 OBP not too bad I will take about another 80 points though thats always welcome. Chavez also has a career .350 OBP which isnt too bad either. Not sure why you are trying to rip on the A's who always seem to be in the running besides a narrow pay roll. This year it has been expanded a bit and look for the A's to make another run. And Kotsay will sh!t on you.

Actually, "buddy", It IS proposed for Oakland. The proposal is to build the stadium in the parking lot of the present Coliseum and for Lew Wolf and his associates to buy out all the businesses that currently surround it to make condos and crap. If they can't get approval, all deals are off, although it is probable that they could try and move to San Jose if that happens, there is still the issue of the Giants territorial rights to the South Bay, which while not unovercomable still make it a possibility that the A's could end up anywhere and Sin City's always itching to get a team.

If you look at my post you'll notice I said Payton's OBP needs 80 points not Bradley. Which at around an even .300 at 4 million dollars a year, it does. Chavez struck out 30 more times last year than the year before, and walked about 40 times less, and if you watched every A's game last year you could literally see it happening as whenever he got into a tough count his batting approach would turn to garbage. And Kotsay can "sh!t" on me if he wants to, he'll just need someone to help him up after he gets back spasms from squatting. I guess since you're such a big A's fan that you remember that Kotsay at one point had to sit out about two weeks last year because he injured his back... sleeping on a plane. I love Kotsay, but love or no love the dude has got a seriously bad back.

I mean if you can't acknowledge or are unaware of the flaws or weaknesses that are hanging over the A's, sorry, but if you actually like the team and want them to win then that stuff should make you a little worried and hence feel like blowing off some steam now again, and maybe you'd do it on a thread that you'd assume is being read by a few A's fans.

Yeah, I've heard that mentioned too:

From Athletics Nation.

Blez: "You mentioned Fremont. Is that a realistic option right now?"

Wolff: "We're hoping it is. They have sent out welcoming signals. If we can't stay in Oakland, we want to stay in Alameda County and if we're going to stay in Alameda County, that area would be very good for us. It's close to our existing fan base, it has BART and it's close to San Jose as well as the freeways."

On AN, someone posted that Fremont's city council were voting to do a feasiblity study in order to lay ground for creating a stadium proposal for the A's.

I think San Jose truthfully might be more likely if they were to move from Oakland. There was an article a little while back whose crux was that Lew Wolff was making "positive" comments about San Jose along the lines of the ones he makes in the above interview toward Fremont. They all seem inspecific enough that it seemed to primarily be a tactic to put some pressure on Oakland's local government. It doesn't cost anything for Wolff to make those comments and in response he gets the benefit of a free feasiblity studies and more leverage with the Oakland city government.

I mean the Giants did the same thing in the early 90's by threatening to move to Santa Clara and then Tampa unless they got a stadium, I mean its a pretty well-worn tactic for a Bay Area team to threaten to move to one of the satellites of Silicon Valley.

Realistically, I think that even though there might be some economic benefit to moving to San Jose or Fremont over Oakland as far as tax breaks ability, free land and even possible tax-payer paid for stadium, there is a degree to which the cache that a certain town has that plays a lot into it. Even though, for example, the Warriors refuse to identify that they are in Oakland so as to not alienate San Franciscans, it still has got a more "big time" reputation than San Jose, which is to even a greater degree better known than Fremont, which is partly the reason San Jose, Fremont, and other cities with difficulty establishing a known identity nationally are so desperate to get a major sports teams and remove that association of being minor cities. San Jose's city government even recently spent 5.7 million dollars to buy an abandoned sausage factory downtown as possible land for a stadium "just in case" and are spending $700,000 a feasibility study. Although, as evidenced by the Angels, the Jets, and plenty others, where you are actually located and the location you claim can be entirely different things.

Also, there is the fact that if you move to San Jose, you'll probably be pissing off a lot of fans that are still in the geographic location you're trying to pull support from. And as far as logistics, Oakland is more centrally located as far as their greater Northern California fanbase is concerned and already has BART stop leading directly to their proposed site.

That said, I'd also like to say I'm very excited to see the new stadium model when Friar finishes it.

Looks like this isn't happening. :( Just too much to do on it, and with school and work I really don't have the time for it. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up, but this is going on the back burner for now. Might get back to it during the summer when I'm not as busy.

Archived