I just realized something

tebjr

Bless his soul, but Harry Carey really tested by patience when i had to listen to him. His voice bothered me, then he couldn't pronounce anybody's name correctly. But I will give it to him, he really loved the game.

I was watching a VHS tape of the 1967 World Series many years ago between the Cardinals and Red Sox and Harry Carey did the narraration on it. I had no idea who I was listening to until my father told me it was indeed Harry Carey. Carey sounded a lot better before he had his stroke in 1987.

There were lots of good announcers, but it seems like the great ones are becoming a thing of the past. Carey and Harwell are gone, Scully and Coleman are cutting back...most of the guys now are TV guys and it seems like the art of telling the game's story is fading fast. I hope some young kid comes along in the next decade and brings us back to the storytelling style that made Scully, Harwell, etc. so good.

Your right Friar. Baseball has become just like every other sport. It's to commercialized now. The game itself has become an afterthought . It's all about how commercials and ads that they can get in. I know they have to have the advertising to survive, but the game should always come first. It's just a sign of the times that we live in.

Archived