Event Log Experts ...

Laloosh

So I've been having some serious crashing issues since I got my new video card (GeForce FX5500). I've gotten the IRQL_DRIVER_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and "infinite loop" BSODs. I checked my Event Log and came across this:

fault address 0x00018fea

The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C918FEA (ntdll!RtlpWaitForCriticalSection)

I Googled it and it's definitely a video card issue (there was a post about this same crash when someone was using Movie Maker).

I also saw this error:

fault address 0x003b55c6

The exception generated was c0000005 at address 007B55C6

And I got one regarding the nView control panel. Can anyone help me? Is there something I can do besides getting a new video card?

Just some things to check, since it is a new card:

Bios: has a page for PCI or AGP, it also has settings for 4X, 8X, make sure it is set right.

Control panel: check your (display setting), it might say something like, plug and play monitor on such and such display driver. Make sure it is correct.

Control panel: check your system, device manager, (display adapter) make sure that it is correct. if your did not delete the old display driver it will still be there.

just somethings to check, hope you get it fixed.

Yeah I have no idea about this kind of stuff...but I do know that when you have older drivers (especially from different brand cards) it can cause a lot of problems. Maybe try the route of "driver cleaners"...I've never used them but I know they're out there.

I think to pinpoint the issue, what is it you're doing when your PC crashes? I used to have an ATi Radeon 9000 that worked like a champ except for when I played Halo. I always got the BSOD when I was about 10 minutes into a game.

EDIT

======

I just saw your other post. :oops: I noticed you said this is happening when you try to play MVP but not necessarily any other time. That makes me thing it could be a Power Issue. Do you know how much power you have? Unfortunately, the only real way to figure this out is to get on your hands and knees. :( But, if you can get to that, (since you sound like you know your way around a PC), could you also jot down the name/model?

Also, what Operating System are you running? Any service packs?

Oh, and what you were saying in the other post about the memory bus is correct: your 2700 will "retard" to 2100.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem like you don't have enough power. :?

So, to address the issue - assuming it's software related - please refer to the attached Zip file. It contains a text file that addresses pretty much everything that could be wrong - barring something really odd like needing .NET Framework just to run an ATi Utility :evil: Sorry, that stills irks me!

If you delete the web addresses in the text file, it should print to a 1 page wide by 2 pages. But, be certain you delect the web addresses because if you don't and then you print it, it'll be a 2 x 2.

Also, I noted that as a general installation overview, check out eVGA's PDF file.

After you've done everything, (approximately 20 - 30 solid minutes), post back with the results.

Good Luck man!

EDIT

========

Crap, I forgot two things real quick. If you do receive an error after doing all this, go into your system's BIOS and set your AGP to 4x. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's the max your Mobo can do anyway. Also, if it's selectable, (migh be grayed out), in BIOS, choose 64MB for Graphic RAM. If it's grayed out, no worries.

And lastly, to try and see what your card can and can't do, go to the START Menu, type in DXDIAG and hit RUN. Under the Adapter Tab, run the tests. They literally take about 1 minute apiece.

Sorry so wordy and good luck! :D

I'm not too crazy about updating the BIOS, as I've heard nothing but horror stories when things don't go perfectly. And beside that, I don't have a floppy drive, so I can't create the flash disk.

I'll try everything else, though, and I'll post the results. Probably not until late tonight, though.

I understand about the BIOS. A lot of people are always saying about updating it and how things won't function properly, yadda, yadda. I've noticed if systems need to recognize something, Windows will have some sort of thing for it. In this case, perhaps the drivers will take care of everything.

Oh, and unless you're big on installing NVIDIA's utility, you might want to try the other driver installation directions from that PDF file. That way you know you're only installing the required files - not unessential files that can cause for errors - .NET Framework! :evil: Unbelievable. And you need 1.1 and 2.0 because 2.0 isn't backwards compatible. What? Aargh!

Sorry, I just really hate that Framework thing. And you'd think if it was required, they'd give it to you or clearly print it in the install instructions. Stupid AIi. But alas, I like their stuff so I vent on this thread and then deal with it. Such is PolishJoe. :roll:

One thing I noticed this morning is that in the Device Mangler, it shows my ATI TV Wonder capture card with the warning exclamation point. I had installed it (physically) but didn't install drivers. So I'm wondering if that was causing some sort of conflict. I removed the card but didn't get a chance to try the game. I'll check it out tonight ... and pray all day that my problems will be solved!

Oh, and I think the nVidia control panel might be a contributing factor, too, so I'm definitely going to try the "bare bones" installation. Thanks for all your help, PolishJoe.

Archived