Half-Height Video card help!

BrewCrew

I have a Dell Dimension 4600C...which much to my recent surprise can only accept half-height video cards (unlike the one I just bought...). Anyways, can someone suggest a half-height video card for me for under $50 that can run MVP 2005 to it's full capabilities, and possibly tell me where I can buy one as well? Thanks!!!

EDIT: would this card work well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-NVidia-MX440-64MB...1QQcmdZViewItem

brew, i live down here in St louis and i travled about 50 miles one day, hitting 6 stores looking for a half high card.......they are just not out there anymore ( with a few exceptions ) so i bought a ati radeon 9250 for $78 on sale and just took the riser/bracket off and used it that way. If you do this, just be careful no to knock your machine around, because if the card slips out while in use, it could fry your unit.....and knobody wants a fried unit...........but a guy a comp usa told me that trick and it has worked great for me

I can let you know right off the bat that the MX440 will not run MVP on High, let alone medium. I had that card when I first bought MVP and had to use 3D Analzye to get it to run on high.

To know what kind of video card you can get we need to know what kind of slot is on your motherboard. It's either PCI-E or AGP. Most likely its PCI-E because the 4600C is a newer model.

To figure this out (whether or have an AGP slot or PCI-E) - check this website: http://www.crucial.com/library/pcie_agp.asp

brew,

I had an mx440 for a while and it ran this game horribly the players looked like cubes and the graphics were just downright horrible. I recently got a Nvida 6200 and it runs this game extremely well. Hell it can run Battlefield 2 which take a lot of power. I got my card for about 54 with a rebate. I also believe it is half height at least the one i purchased which was xfx brand. I would check newegg and tigerdirect to see what they have. Good luck and definately do not get an mx440 it is a bad card for this game.

brew,

I had an mx440 for a while and it ran this game horribly the players looked like cubes and the graphics were just downright horrible. I recently got a Nvida 6200 and it runs this game extremely well. Hell it can run Battlefield 2 which take a lot of power. I got my card for about 54 with a rebate. I also believe it is half height at least the one i purchased which was xfx brand. I would check newegg and tigerdirect to see what they have. Good luck and definately do not get an mx440 it is a bad card for this game.

BF2 is a hog on everything when it comes to your system. I have a 7800GT and it runs everything on high...but still...EA, I mean come on!

Ok, I know this card just barely meets the minimum system requirements on the game...but does this mean it should be able to run the game on the highest settings? That's all I'm really looking for here. Or is it just going to run bare-bones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-7500-32MB-3...1QQcmdZViewItem

Any input would be GREAT!

A video card is worth its weight in gold. Look around for a ATi 9200 or so, also try to pm some people and see what kind of cards they have. I have a 7800GT, but its a little out of your price range of $50.

But, would the card I put in my previous message be good enough to run MVP on max settings? MVP is really the only game I play, so I'm not overly concerned with having enough power to run other games or anything. An answer that question would be super, thanks!

like i said previously i would seriously look into the nvida GeForce 6200 i bought it around 50 bucks and it is a great card that can play mvp great at the highest settings. This card is like a very good card for gamers who don't want to shell out the money for the very top end card but still have a quality card. Like i said previously look on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com they have pretty good deals.

Just be careful to check what your power supply is. I'm pretty sure the 4600c has a sub 200watt supply. The video card you linked to recommends at least 350 watts. That system, unfortunately, is not really designed to be upgradeable.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you really want to play MVP at decent settings, you're probably better off putting the money for a new video card towards a new system. Just don't get another slim model and look for something with more expandability.

When you're looking for a "half-height" card, I think the more appropriate term to use is "low profile". I think you'll find a lot more hits on that than "half-height". But yeah, newegg is a good place to shop and just search for "low profile" cards and get what meets your price range...with the limited amount of cards that fit the criteria you'll pretty much get what you pay for.

And as edm says, your power supply might be a problem--as far as I know (at least with older models I've dealt with), Dell has a proprietary power supply (connectors) that is not easily replaceable as going to a store and buying a new one.

Archived