Did DMHN get shut down?

Could it? Yes. However, you could be run over by a bus when you step outside your home.

I don't know much about Double Minor, but from what I've read, it's pretty much the same situation as here. Company releases game with sports authority contract (NHL or, in our case, MLB), modders unpack game and release mods with sports authority logos free of charge, users of site donate to site to cover costs etc.

It's akin to the sports authority picking on a smaller organisation that can't defend themseves. If Trues was a multi-millionaire and the site was closed down by MLB because users were donating to the site to cover costs (yes, if Trues was a multi-millionaire it wouldn't be needed, but stick with me) and Trues decided to contest it in court, I'd bet that the decision would go in Trues' favour.

They may still be able to claim copyright infringement but that would drag EA Sports into it since it's technically EA's copyright that's being broken, not MLB's.

In short, if the site could afford to defend itself in court, it would probably win. But as with a lot of other things in the so-called Western World, money talks.

this site got nothing to worry about, dmhl was recieveing to much attention apperaing on much music and europeon mags

First of all, don't count your eggs before they hatch my friend. This site is 10 times bigger than DMD was. I would be worried.

As for CyberNHL, it was shut down because God told the man in charge to. I'm not joking.

First of all, don't count your eggs before they hatch my friend. This site is 10 times bigger than DMD was. I would be worried.

As for CyberNHL, it was shut down because God told the man in charge to. I'm not joking.

you didnt read what I said, it was on tv and in some europeon magasine about some of the addons that were done.

Could it? Yes. However, you could be run over by a bus when you step outside your home.

I don't know much about Double Minor, but from what I've read, it's pretty much the same situation as here. Company releases game with sports authority contract (NHL or, in our case, MLB), modders unpack game and release mods with sports authority logos free of charge, users of site donate to site to cover costs etc.

It's akin to the sports authority picking on a smaller organisation that can't defend themseves. If Trues was a multi-millionaire and the site was closed down by MLB because users were donating to the site to cover costs (yes, if Trues was a multi-millionaire it wouldn't be needed, but stick with me) and Trues decided to contest it in court, I'd bet that the decision would go in Trues' favour.

They may still be able to claim copyright infringement but that would drag EA Sports into it since it's technically EA's copyright that's being broken, not MLB's.

In short, if the site could afford to defend itself in court, it would probably win. But as with a lot of other things in the so-called Western World, money talks.

Not true, MLB copyright is being broken because virtually ( no pun!) every mod here uses MLB copyrighted logos or the MLBPA players images. EA could close the site down based on the EULA as I would imagine that states that we are not to modify the game code (I haven't checked this recently though), but most game companies realise a healthy modding community is good for a games longevity and hence sales. This is not an issue for the MLB as they have been paid for use of the licenses and this year it wasn't EA who paid.

A similar thing happen with PESWinning Eleven Soccer earlier in the year when the English Premier League asked (told!) the PESFan website to remove any files containing their teams logos (Chelsea, Man United etc) or risk legal action.

Could be that this is going to get worse, but IMO all would be required is a change of file distribution, as if the site doesn't hold the files, they can't be held responsible, much the same as the leagal actions around torrent sites?

Phew, here's hoping it dosen't come to this after all?

From DMHN

APRIL FOOLS (Canada)

Score : -/10

...but it was for the best. And it was SO worth it.

A large majority of you guys got PUNK'd. Seriously. This whole thing was an April Fools joke, and we couldn't just let it go for one day. And I think you guys have waited long enough for the answer.

We started thinking about it in early March, but didn't put the plan into effect until the last week. We had to start it early, since April Fools started on a Saturday, and if I really did get notice from the NHL it would have had to have been during the week.

Sure, there were a lot of holes in the story, but it did work - most of you were fooled, and when the site didn't go back up yesterday, I think panic set in to the guys who honestly believed it was an April Fools joke, then realized it didn't come back.

The fact is, we're transferring to a new server, and we were expecting to be online on Tuesday or so - but we couldn't let you guys hang like that for so long. So there you have it - we got you, and got you real good.

Depot wasn't in on the joke, and yeah I'll probably get hung for it, but we had to keep as few people in the loop as possible for it to work as well as it did. So the gratitude shown by Chase and Rico is totally genuine - and appreciated. But just because we're going back online doesn't mean you should flee from here. Expand your horizons and visit both communities - this place gets such a bad rap for old reasons - reasons that are older than some of you have been on the forums.

I knew it was a joke, but man, was it wayyyyy overdone.

Damn, that was pretty elaborate. There was a radio station in my area that did something like that, too. They announced that the station was bought out and was under new management and played really crappy music, etc. Pretty sweet.

Archived