New York, New York: The Yankees look for No. 27

D-Unit

these are the screenies that come with Trues' YES network overlay download:

truesyes16qh.th.jpg

truesyes20wa.th.jpg

truesyes37va.th.jpg

sorry but I couldn't seem to find the Yes layout does anyone know where to find it thanks.. Oh yeah by the way keep the games coming its great..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just go to downloads, mvp baseball 2005, click overlays. there should be one that is an update of trues' YES overlay. i like it better, no offense to trues.

Once again, I lost my information regarding the game. I usually put it together on word documents and paste, but the document for this game was deleted so I had to reload all the pictures and everything again. Sorry for the lack of info.

The Royals won a slugfest by the score of 14-11, as they scored all of them in the first three innings, tearing apart the pitching of Chien-Ming Wang and Tanyon Sturtze. After the Yankees scored 11 unanswered runs between the fourth and the seventh, the heroes seemed to be Kyle Farnsworth, throwing nearly 5 complete shutout innings, and Alex Rodrgiguez, who when down three runs launched a grand slam deep over the wall to cut their deficit in half. But after the bullpen seemed to shut down, Buddy Bell went to Jeremy Affeldt who closed out the game and the series in the ninth for a save. Wang obviously took the loss, and is now at a record of 1-1. The winning pitcher was the Royals’ Joe Mays (1-0) who allowed one run in three innings. And Affeldt’s save was his second of the year.

yankeestadium1vv.jpg

Overhead shot of Yankee Stadium, at the end of warm-up tosses.

markteahen8ew.jpg

Mark Teahen beats Posada’s tag home for Mike Sweeney’s second RBI to give Kansas City a 4-0 lead.

robinsoncano8pp.jpg

Robinson leads off the fourth with an upper decker to put the Yankees on the board.

johnbuck5sq.jpg

Derek Jeter takes John Buck for a ride, but he holds on to make the first out.

angelberroa2wf.jpg

Angel Berroa makes the second out with his second amazing play of the inning as well.

alexrodriguez57kt.jpg

A Rod comes through in the clutch, cutting in half the deficit that was 14 with a grand slam.

kylefarnsworth0as.jpg

Kyle Farnsworth strikes out the side in the fifth, finishing off Mark Teahen with a splitter.

hidekimatsui41os.jpg

Hideki Matsui launches a fastball deep to right field for his second home run of the year.

daviddejesus26wd.jpg

David DeJesus robs Gary Sheffield’s home run in the eighth.

berniecano5ap.jpg

Two big contributors to the Yankee offense (Bernie and Cano) look on as Damon makes the final out of the best of three series which the Royals won 2-1.

scoreboardapr138bw.jpg

scoreboardapr1326ih.jpg

scoreboardapr1337mt.jpg

scoreboardapr1342po.jpg

scoreboardapr1352su.jpg

Sorry about not posting this last night guys, I kinda blanked out. Today's game will be posted during the pre-game show at the latest.

April 14th, 2006

Yankee’s skid continues, Rookie makes it hard for offense

The New York Yankees dropped their third consecutive game, to the Minnesota Twins by a score of 7-5. Twin prospect Francisco Liriano pitched tremendous, going seven strong innings of two run ball, allowing seven hits and striking out a pair for his first win of the season. Leading the home team’s offense was Luis Castillo, who went 1 for 3 with 4 RBI, thanks to a bases loaded triple. Justin Morneau also added a solo shot and 2 RBI. The short end of the stick was New York’s Jaret Wright, who got torched for seven runs over three innings, allowing nine hits. Scott Proctor and Tanyon Sturtze held the Twins scoreless for the remaining innings. The Minnesota bullpen was shaky, as Jesse Crain allowed two runs and Joe Nathan one, but it wasn’t good enough as the closer earned his second save of the year.

Liriano put down New York in the first with two strikeouts, his only of the game, and Shannon Stewart started the bottom of the frame with a triple, scoring on a Castillo sac fly. Justin Morneau drilled a pitch to deep left field to give Minnesota a 2-0 lead. A Torii Hunter single was erased by a 3-4-3 twin killing to end the misery.

New York got a single in the second from Jason Giambi, but was picked off to kill any hopes. But the Twins offense added five more runs, one from a Lew Ford single, and the other three from a bases clearing triple by Luis Castillo. Justin Morneau then hit a sac fly for a 7-0 lead.

The Yankees couldn’t get any offense off of the promising rookie until Jorge Posada took him deep in the fifth to cut the deficit to six.

jorgeposada24qi.jpg

Jorge Posada goes deep off Francisco Liriano, his second homer of the season.

Gary Sheffield added an RBI double in the sixth, showing maybe the Yankees could get a comeback in progress. But with two out and a runner on third, Jason Giambi hit a bloop into right that might have driven in another run, but Shannon Stewart made a nice catch to end the inning.

shannonstewart5hr.jpg

Shannon Stewart makes a great sliding catch off the bat of Jason Giambi.

At this point, Scott Proctor was in the middle of four great shutout innings, holding the Twins to just a few singles.

franciscoliriano7rs.jpg

Rookie Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano is going strong into the seventh with a five run lead.

In the top of the eighth, manager Ron Gardenhire decided his promising pitcher needed some relief, and signaled for Jesse Crain to come in. He allowed an Alex Rodriguez two out RBI single to trail by four.

derekjeter100zz.jpg

Derek Jeter steals his fifth bag of the year.

Tanyon Sturtze shut down the Twins in the eighth on seven pitches, and Hideki Matsui started the top of the ninth with a boom, taking Crain’s first pitch over 400 feet to right field, cutting the deficit to only three. The fun was over for the Twins as closer Joe Nathan entered the game. Bernie Williams singled, and was pinch run for by Bubba Crosby, who took a risk by stealing second but was successful. Jorge Posada moved him over with a grounder to first, and Robinson Cano brought him in with an RBI grounder to short. Johnny Damon flied out to end the game.

hidekimatsui54bz.jpg

Joe Mauer realizes that the ball didn’t hit his glove, but rather the bat of Hideki Matsui, and the Yankees cut their deficit to three in the ninth.

joenathan9el.jpg

Joe Nathan pumps his fist after retiring Johnny Damon to record a save.

scoreboardapr142vu.jpg

scoreboardapr1428nc.jpg

scoreboardapr1438dp.jpg

scoreboardapr1448tr.jpg

scoreboardapr1453mc.jpg

Tomorrow’s action will feature Aaron Small’s 2006 debut against former Cy Young Award Johan Santana (2-0, 4.50) at 7:05 pm on YES.

As of today, the Yankees have a 2nd place record of 6-4, behind Boston’s 7-3.

standingsapr141ic.jpg

Baseball’s current best record belongs to three teams: The San Francisco Giants, the Houston Astros, and the Texas Rangers all have a 8-3 record.

Here are the league leaders for AVG, HR, and RBI:

Average:

Carlos Lee – MIL - .535

Chris Shelton – DET - .488

Mark Teahen – KC - .457

Trot Nixon – BOS - .432

Vlad Guerrero – LAA - .432

Home Runs:

Carlos Lee – MIL – 8

Jason Bay – PIT – 7

Jermaine Dye – CHW – 5

Paul Konerko – CHW – 5

Jorge Cantu – CHW – 5

Runs Batted In:

Alex Rodriguez – NYY – 16

Manny Ramirez – BOS – 16

Carlos Lee – MIL – 15

Mike Sweeney – KC – 13

Frank Thomas – OAK – 12

Note: Frank Thomas (OAK), Benny Santiago (TEX), and Cliff Floyd (NYM) all have 5 homers as well. Jorge Cantu (TB), Tony Clark (ARI), Jermaine Dye (CWS), nd Jose Guillen (WAS) all have 12 RBI as well.

Over 30 people had 2 wins, so I didn’t post them on the leaderboard, as well as the 500 people with an ERA of 0.00.

Here are the league leaders for Saves and Strikeouts:

Saves:

Jason Isringhausen – STL – 5

Jose Mesa – COL – 4

Brad Lidge – HOU – 4

Chad Cordero – WAS – 4

Chris Reitsma – ATL – 4

Strikeouts:

Tim Hudson – ATL – 24

Scott Kazmir – TB – 22

Jason Schmidt – SF – 18

Rodrigo Lopez – BAL – 18

C.C. Sabathia – CLE - 17

Note: Adam Eaton (TEX) also had 17 strikeouts. C.C. Sabathia (CLE) also has just one walk to go with his 17 K’s.

not only that, but he will be better at a younger age. santana started relatively late. the twins should have a great rotation in a few years when both baker and liriano in it. i dont like how liriano is in the bullpen though. he and baker should alternate starts, give them a legitimate chance instead of some meaningless spring games to decide the rotation.

April 15th, 2006

Small’s gem, Cairo’s ribbie squeaks by Minnesota to even series

This game went fast, as it became a pitcher’s duel, between journeyman Aaron Small and former Cy Young winner Johan Santana. In the end, Santana’s inconsistency in the fifth inning (three walks, six in the game) doomed him as second baseman Miguel Cairo’s one out single drove in the only run of the ballgame, and the Yankees held on for a 1-0 win.

Not much happened, but I got some good screenshots during the game. Aaron Small went 7.1 innings, allowing six hits and striking out four. Farnsworth pitched two thirds, and Mariano pitched a scoreless ninth with two K’s for save number four. Santana went eight innings and allowed one run. He struck out four but walked six, and his record is now 2-1.

aaronsmall2xl.jpg

Aaron Small’s fastball is way ahead of Torii Hunter in the second inning.

luiscastillo6fb.jpg

Second baseman Luis Castillo robs Miguel Cairo of a base hit in the third.

lewford2me.jpg

Lew Ford gurantees that Gary Sheffield’s drive will not open up the game.

marianorivera48yy.jpg

Mariano Rivera enters the game with a 1-0 lead to work with.

marianorivera51fk.jpg

Mariano Rivera notches a K on Justin Morneau.

marianorivera66sq.jpg

Mariano Rivera notches a K on Torii Hunter.

garysheffield52ou.jpg

Gary Sheffield makes the final out, ending a three game skid.

scoreboardapr156qd.jpg

scoreboardapr1527gb.jpg

scoreboardapr1538lm.jpg

scoreboardapr1546ld.jpg

scoreboardapr1550al.jpg

Tomorrow’s rubber game pits the reliable Mike Mussina (0-0, 3.75) against long-time Twin Brad Radke (1-1, 4.91) on YES.

SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT FORMAT

April 16th, 2006

Andy Phillips, A Rod lead offense in series win

Hitting just above .300 in the game he had played this year, Andy Phillips finally got a hit that brought in a run, in fact a towering two run shot that paced the Yankee offense that scored six runs in a 6-4 win over the Minnesota Twins. Alex Rodriguez also added his fourth homer of the season. Mike Mussina (1-0) won his first decision of the year, although getting hit hard (12 hits), he allowed three runs in 5.1 innings after some shoulder stiffness. Joe Torre told reporters after the game that there is no damage, it was “just precautionary.â€

The combination of relievers (Sturtze, Proctor, Farnsworth, Rivera) allowed just one more run to preserve the victory. Mariano Rivera earned his fifth save of the year with a scoreless ninth. Minnesota starter Brad Radke got tagged for five runs on seven hits, over 7.1 innings.

The Twins did have offensive bright spots, as Shannon Stewart added three hits, and Torii Hunter hit for the cycle, with 5 hits and a stolen base to add. He later said “This is a career day for me. Better than getting my (fifth) gold glove.â€

New York scored a run in the first on a Gary Sheffield single, but Minnesota countered with home runs by Justin Morneau and Torii Hunter to take a 2-0 lead. But in the fourth, the Yankees plated four men to take the lead they would never relinquish.

Minnesota added two run in the six and seventh but was no good in the long run as Mariano Rivera closed out the Twins for the second day in a row.

Reporters talking to Mariano took note that “It’s a big difference when you have a two run lead instead of a one run lead. When it’s one run, one mistake will cost you. There’s a little more breathing room.â€

And of course, the media was all over Johnny Damon after going 0-4 in the game. Jeter took to his defense and said, “he doesn’t need to hit every day. If you care about stats, fine. It’s not the most important thing but he’s still hitting .300,†He then pointed to Andy Phillips and said, “There’s the hero. Make a positive story out of the day.†Reporters agreed and flocked to the career minor leaguer’s locker. He told them “It’s good to know every day you’re gonna stay in the bigs. And not just for any team, but for the Yankees. And being able to deliver a big hit when needed is amazing, I love this game.â€

justinmorneau7ea.jpg

First baseman Justin Morneau goes deep for the third time this year, against Mike Mussina.

robinsoncano21sw.jpg

Robinson Cano turns the second double play of the game in 6-4-3 fashion.

alexrodriguez61mh.jpg

Alex Rodriguez sends a fastball over the left field seats to extend the lead to 6-4.

scoreboardapr160tz.jpg

scoreboardapr1626ys.jpg

scoreboardapr1631nd.jpg

scoreboardapr1648up.jpg

scoreboardapr1655fu.jpg

The Yankees get a day off, then will continue their road trip with a two game series against the Toronto Blue Jays. Shawn Chacon (1-0, 7.15) will face Josh Towers (0-0, 4.50) at 7:05 on YES.

April 18th, 2006

Low scoring game send Yanks home happy

The Toronto Blue Jays started the scoring with a run in the first, and thanks to starter Josh Towers, New York only managed one hit over the first seven innings of play. Towers walked seven throughout his outing, but worked out of jams and retired five New Yorkers on strikeouts. But it was his relievers that blew the lead, and eventually the game that the Yankees won 2-1.

In the bottom of the first, Frank Catalanotto took a 1-1 Shawn Chacon offering just over the right field wall to stake Toronto to a 1-0 lead. That would be Chacon’s only blemish on the night, despite allowing eight more hits throughout his seven innings of work, adding a strikeout.

The game got interesting in the third, when the Jays had two on with one out. Vernon Wells hit a sharp grounder down the third base line, but Alex Rodriguez was set up there and turned a 5-53 double play to end the threat.

alexrodriguez77vp.jpg

Alex Rodriguez turns two to end the inning.

The top of the fifth would have been the turning point of the game, if the Jays had won it. After Robinson Cano laced a 3-1 pitch into left and reserve Kelly Stinnett walked on four pitches, it looked like Josh Tower’s shutout was over. But then with Andy Phillips at the plate, he jumped on an 0-1 fastball that soon made history. Third baseman Troy Glaus picked up the ball while simultaneously touching third, gunning the ball to second, followed by a relay to first just in time to record a triple play! A picture perfect scenario to save the ballgame! Towers jumped in the air and pumped his fist, and it seemed to get him going as he held the visitors scoreless.

troyglaus8bq.jpg

Troy Glaus turns a rare triple play, ending a chance of the Yankees rallying.

The sixth seemed troublesome again for Towers when with one out Derek Jeter took a walk and stole second, which was useless as A Rod walked to put two on. Towers settled down as he struck out Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi to hold the Jays lead.

alexrodriguez88ok.jpg

Alex Rodriguez applies a tag on Aaron Hill, a result of a strong Johnny Damon throw in the seventh.

When Jays manager thought that Towers had enough, he signaled for the reliever Rosario. A hero emerged for the Yankees, as Bubba Crosby pinch-hit for Phillips, the DH. Bubba drag bunted the first pitch he saw and beat out the throw easily as the ball was mixed up between the pitcher and first baseman. He then proceeded to steal second and third, leaving catcher Bengie Molina in shock. Johnny Damon worked a 2-2 count before he singled in Bubba Crosby to tie it up. Three straight outs came along to end the threat.

The top of the eighth brought more Yankee surprise. After Mike Myers did his job in retiring the lefty Catalanotto, Joe Torre brought in Matt Smith to make his major league debut. He looked good, striking out Alexis Rios. But then Vernon Wells and Troy Glaus both singled off the rookie, perhaps instilling fear into him. But he came through, striking out Shea Hillenbrand to end the inning.

mattsmith4bl.jpg

Matt Smith makes Alex Rios his first career strikeout victim, looking at a 92 mph heater.

The top of the ninth was make or break, as Toronto closer BJ Ryan came in to hold the game until the Jays could put one across the board. At least that was what he planned to do. He quickly put Jason Giambi in the hole with two quick strikes, but that just made Giambi more dangerous, being the best two strike hitter in the game. All it took was a high fastball that wasn’t high enough, and Giambi put a swing on it so terrifying that it struck the seats 430 feet away from home plate to give New York a 2-1 lead in the ninth. Ryan would allow two more singles from Matsui and Stinnett before ending his nightmare.

jasongiambi120um.jpg

Jason Giambi hold true to his claim as the best two-strike hitter in baseball, drilling an 0-2 BJ Ryan fastball over the center field wall, giving New York a one run lead in the ninth.

The bottom of the ninth seemed like a rough night as Mariano Rivera scared his Yankees, allowing a Bengie Molina double and an Aaron Hill single. The problem was, Hill hit a slow grounder to second base. Cano immediately noticed the slow Molina was going for third. He gunned it and the replay showed he might have been out, but the third base umpire called him safe to put two on. Several Yankees, including Torre, argued the call but nothing emerged, including ejections.

It was smooth sailing for Mariano afterwards though, as the next 11 pitches, all 96 mph cutters, were more than enough to strike out the side and continue the Yankees’ winning streak.

marianorivera78vt.jpg

Mariano Rivera facing Frank Catalanatto. And Trues’ awesome YES overlay is on display.

scoreboardapr185ag.jpg

^^^What isn’t in this^^^: Bubba Crosby 1-2, 3 SB (5)

scoreboardapr1826xy.jpg

^^^What isn’t in this^^^: Lyle Overbay 0-1

scoreboardapr1834cq.jpg

scoreboardapr1840am.jpg

scoreboardapr1857yt.jpg

In tomorrow’s game, Chien-Ming Wang will try to get his record over .500 (1-1, 10.39) against former Yankee Ted Lily (0-1, 9.00) at noon on YES.

The DL on the DL:

The Yankees pitching will be strengthening over the next week. Randy Johnson has fully recovered from a small sprain in his ankle, but he has five days of service left on the DL. He will miss one more expected start before he makes his return.

In other news from the DL, Carl Pavano is rearing to go. He has just a few days before he will be reactivated from the 15-Day DL. "I'm all set. No pain, I wanna make an impact." Pavano said. The move will be official on April 21st, when he will make his 2006 debut against the Baltimore Orioles. He will be in Randy Johnson's rotation spot that was occupied by Aaron Small, who pitched well in his only spot start of the year, pitching seven shutout innings. Matt Smith is the man likely to be sent back down.

He has already shown good stuff in the majors. In his debut, he struck out the only two batters he faced, showing Joe Torre his extensive arsenal of pitches that featured a 92 mph fastball. "When the news was brought to Smith, he answered, "It really doesn't affect me. I'm happy to have made it. I've done my job, if Carl [Pavano] wasn't hurt in the first place, i wouldn't be here."

OPTIONS CHANGE: I have played a few exhibitions and messed around with sliders. Due to lack of realism on my dynasty options, this is my new set of sliders, i will only list what i change:

Pitch Meter Difficulty - 50

Pitch Speed - 20

User Pitcher Fatigue - (25)*

Use Pitch Control - 50

User Contact - (10)*

User Power - (10)*

CPU Swing Frequency - (50)

User Steal Delay - (10)

CPU Steal Delay - (10)

CPU Steal Rate - 50

() means negative

*indicated newest sliders

April 19th, 2006

Long ball helps New York apply Canadian Sweep

The Yankees ended their five game road trip in positive shape, following their defeat of the Toronto Blue Jays at the Rogers Centre, by a score of 4-1. The Yankees got yet another consistent start, this time, by Chien-Ming Wang (2-1) who went seven strong and only allowed a run despite giving up nine hits, two which were for two bases. Tanyon Sturtze worked a scoreless eighth followed by Mariano Rivera slamming the door shut for his seventh save of the season.

The short end of the stick was handed to Ted Lily (0-2), who only lasted 4.1 innings, surrendering all four Yankee runs on six hits, walking three and striking out four. A suprising relief came from Josh Towers, yesterday’s starter, but was nonetheless great in his four innings of one hit ball and three strikeouts, raising this year’s totals against the Yankees to 11 innings, four hits, no runs, and nine strikeouts. When asked about this, the Blue Jays manager said, “Well, he’s very durable. He didn’t throw many pitches the night before, neither did he today. So these two consecutive outings are like a total nine innings’ worth of pitches. And you gotta admit the kid was great.â€

Toronto had a one out double in the second off the bat of Shea Hillenbrand, and with two out, Aaron Hill singled to right. Shea tested Bernie’s not so strong arm but a good throw and good plate protection by Jorge Posada nailed Hillenbrand with ease to end the threat.

The home team finally got on the board in the third after a single and a ground rule double set up Frank Catalanotto’s RBI grounder to second. It wouldn’t last long.

troyglaus26mp.jpg

Troy Glaus fields a liner off of Ted Lily (literally) and makes a strong throw to record an out.

After Lily got two quick grounders to third, Bernie Williams worked into a hitter’s count of 3-1 before getting the high fastball he wanted so bad and drilled it deep into the right field stands to knot the game at one.

berniewilliams7sb.jpg

Bernie Williams may be old, but he can still swing the bat, launching his second homer of the season off ex-Yankee Ted Lily.

The Yankees roughed up Lily once more, as the fifth began with a Robbie Cano single and Johnny Damon walk, which made Cano’s first stolen base useless. With a 1-0 ordeal, Gary Sheffield showed what he was cooking, the Ted Lily special, to the tune of 450 feet over the left center wall for a three run blast that would give the Yankees the lead of 4-1, which stood over the course of the next four and a half innings, as superior pitching took over from both teams.

garysheffield63gg.jpg

Gary Sheffield continues his torrent, blasting a 3 run homer in the fifth, number 5 on the season to break a 1-1 tie.

damoncanojeter8lo.jpg

Johnny Damon, Robinson Cano, and Derek Jeter meet up at the end of the Yankees’ 4-1 victory.

scoreboardapr196vo.jpg

scoreboardapr1920iu.jpg

scoreboardapr1930cw.jpg

scoreboardapr1946qg.jpg

scoreboardapr1950kg.jpg

Notables:

Sheffield - 2-3, HR (5), 3RBI (13), BB

Williams - 1-3, HR (2), RBI (2), BB

Wang – W (2-1), 7 IP, 9 H, ER

Hillenbrand - 3-4

Hill - 3-4

Towers – ND, 4 IP, H, 3K

The Yankees are off tomorrow, then will start a 9 game homestand, starting with the Baltimore Orioles. Scott Proctor (1-1, 3.38) will toe the rubber for the Yankees, and he will be countered by Baltimore’s Erik Bedard (0-1, 6.88) on YES.

April 21st, 2006

Cano’s career night helps Yanks slam Birds

The Yankees have shown flashes of Murderer’s Row, as they have half of their lineup capable of bringing in 100 runs and four men capable of hitting 30 homers. They showed it once again, as the Yankees bats went on fire in the demolition of the Baltimore Orioles, 17-2. The key hitter was Robinson Cano, as he went on a torrent to the tune of three home runs and seven runs batted in! This was more than enough support for starter Scott Proctor (2-1), who was tagged for 12 hits over seven innings but only allowed two runs, striking out five and walking one. Matt Smith relieved him, adding double K’s in two innings.

The Oriole pitching was suspect, as all pitchers were tattooed for at least four runs. Starter Erik Bedard pitched three shutout innings, before he was tagged for five runs over the next two innings to chase him from the game. Tyler Yates did anything but relieve him, as he allowed eight runs over the next inning and two thirds. Sadly, the best performance from their pitching came from prospect Hayden Penn, who gave up four runs on five hits in an inning and a third. The only long ball for Baltimore was David Newhan’s solo shot in the third off of Proctor.

Now, for the Yankees’ hitting. Here were the best lines:

Damon: 4-5, 2R, RBI (5)

Sheffield: 2-5, HR (6), 4 RBI (17)

A Rod: 3-5, HR (5), 2 RBI (19), SB (4)

Cano: 3-4, 3HR (5), 7 RBI (14)

scottproctor6ji.jpg

Scott Proctor’s 97 mph fastball barely edges the corner of the plate, sending David Newhan back to the dugout in the first inning.

No scoring came until the third, when David Newhan took Proctor deep for a 1-0 Baltimore lead, their only lead of the game.

robinsoncano33ri.jpg

Robinson Cano watches David Newhan’s screaming line drive silence as it soars into the right field seats.

New York tied it up in the fourth, when Alex Rodriguez hit a homer deep to right center , and then went ahead on a Robinson Cano three run homer for a 4-1 lead.

alexrodriguez93pd.jpg

A Rod goes deep, showing why he is MVP by tying the game at 1 in the fourth.

robinsoncano47xu.jpg

Robinson Cano drills his third homer of the year, a three run shot, into Monumental Park.

jorgeposada39cf.jpg

Jeff Conine makes a hook slide in the wrong direction, and Jorge Posada effortlessly applies the tag to end the top of the fifth.

Hideki Matsui went deep in the sixth, a solo shot to spark a five run rally that inning, ending six innings with a 9-1 advantage.

hidekimatsui63fe.jpg

Hideki Matsui never shows off, but he has to watch this ball as he puts his trademark swing on a fastball headed over the bullpen to give the home crowd something to cheer about.

The Orioles plated their second and final run of the game following two consecutive bad calls, including a play at the plate. Joe Torre was ejected for arguing the play at home in which Kevin Millar was tagged way before touching home. It was later revealed that Torre accused the umpire of being paid off.

jorgeposada41lj.jpg

Jorge Posada obviously tagged Kevin Millar a mile away from the plate, but the ump called him safe. This led to Joe Torre’s ejection, he let the ump have it.

jasongiambi130nj.jpg

My god, these umpires are blind as [dirty expletive]. This, combined with the other bad call should have ended the inning.

The Yankees brought in five more runs in the seventh, on the second Cano homer, for two runs, and Gary Sheffield’s sixth homer of the season was a 3 run bomb for a commanding 14-2 lead.

robinsoncano53yc.jpg

Jay Gibbons is leaping for nothing as Robinson Cano’s second homer lands in the stands, giving the Yanks a commanding lead of 11-2.

garysheffield71gg.jpg

The Yankees won’t stop putting souvenirs in the stands, this time Gary Sheffield goes deep to drive in three. The Yanks go up 14-2.

The Yankees finally quieted, but after Robinson Cano drilled a three run shot to right field for the final score of 17-2.

robinsoncano65ya.jpg

Robinson Cano continues his career night, drilling his third homer of the night.

mattsmith27tc.jpg

Rookie Matt Smith ends the game, catching Jon Gibbons looking.

scoreboardapr211gs.jpg

scoreboardapr2125on.jpg

What you didn’t see: Bubba Crosby 2-2, 2B, SB

scoreboardapr2137lp.jpg

scoreboardapr2144kb.jpg

scoreboardapr2157to.jpg

Tomorrow, Carl Pavano (0-0, 0.00) makes his season debut against Kris Benson (1-2, 5.00). The game will start at 1:05pm, only on YES.

April 22nd, 2005

Bubba sparks New York offense to take first place

The Yankees got to first place after tonight’s victory over the Baltimore Orioles, and reserve outfielder Bubba Crosby led the charge. He would go 4 for 4 with 4 RBI, including a mammoth shot to right field. This was a key performance in the 8-3 victory. Another good performance came from Carl Pavano. In his 2006 debut, he went six innings, pitching strong in allowing six hits and two runs. He walked one and struck out three to earn his first win of the season. Aaron Small pitched two innings and Farnsworth pitched the last inning while allowing a Miguel Tejada homer.

Jason Giambi was strong, going 2-3 with yet another home run, number six on the season, and two RBI.

The Orioles had some bright spots, as David Newhan went 1 for 3 with his second homer as in many days, and 2 RBI, Miguel Tejada’s only hit in four at-bats was a solo shot in the ninth.

jaygibbons3kv.jpg

Jay Gibbons robs Derek Jeter of a leadoff single in the fifth inning.

jasongiambi140el.jpg

Jason Giambi gives the Yankees a three run cushion, with a solo shot in the sixth.

bubbacrosby6cr.jpg

Bubba Crosby follows through on his solo shot, his first of the year for his third RBI of the game. This was Kris Benson’s final pitch.

aaronsmall22to.jpg

Aaron Small deals to Jay Gibbons in the eighth. He got him to fly to center on the pitch.

kylefarnsworth25ax.jpg

Kyle Farnsworth looks solid, getting David Newhan to go down looking to start the ninth.

scoreboardapr227kq.jpg

David Newhan also committed two consecutive errors in the eighth.

scoreboardapr2225im.jpg

scoreboardapr2232cv.jpg

scoreboardapr2241db.jpg

scoreboardapr2250wc.jpg

The series finale will feature Mike Mussina (1-0, 4.15) versus Bruce Chen (1-2, 3.20) who is trying to get his record at .500 on YES.

April 23rd, 2006

Today’s game was called due to rain. The game will be rescheduled for an unknown date as of now.

Good news for the Yankees, Randy Johnson has returned from the disabled list. He was off to a good start (1-0, 0.73). On opening day, he pitched a five hit shutout against Oakland with nine strikeouts. He only lasted 3.1 innings against Anaheim, as he pulled his groin to land on the disabled list. Since the rain delay will skip Mussina’s start, Randy Johnson’s return will be tomorrow, as he will face Bruce Chen (1-2, 3.20) who will not miss his start. The first pitch will be 7:05 on YES.

Archived