NHL Playoffs

I am a hardcore Flames fan. Was at the first ever Calgary Flames game. (5-5 tie with the Nordiques 1980) So is Iginla the best player in the league? No. Is he an elite player in the league? absolutely!

Miika Kiprusoff is the leagues MVP without question (he wont win it. congrats Joe Thorton) and the Flames have one of if not the best D cores in the league. Scoring is an issue but this team got hot at the right time, and should have a decent playoff run in them, but I wouldn't call them the favorites by any stretch with teams like Detroit, Dallas, and Ottawa (even with Emery in net) floating around.

The beauty of the NHL playoffs is if a team can get some solid goaltending and timely scoring they can go for a long run. As for the Flames the best thing you can say about them is they are a team that no one really wants to run into in the playoffs.

Go Flames Go!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok here are my first round picks (with any luck I can beat TSN's maggie the monkey :D)

Detroit vs Edmonton - Detroit in 6

Comes down to goaltending in this one. I dont think the Oilers have enough as much as I like Roloson. giving up a 1st round pick for him could be GM Kevin Lowe's undoing. Combine that with a high powered offense in Detroit and a Steve Yzerman who is playing like he is ten years younger adds up to trouble for Edmonton.

Dallas vs Colorado - Dallas in 5

The Av's did nothing short of throwing their last game of the season. (they wanted to play Dallas instead of Calgary??) Jose Theodore while I think was an excellent pickup by the Av's just isn't back ready to face a very well balanced Stars squad. This one won't be pretty for Av's fans.

Calgary vs Anaheim - Calgary in 6

Will the Red Mile have the magic of 03-04? We will wait and see. The Ducks have a good squad but too much youth to rely on, and when it comes down to it I dont believe they can match up with Calgary physically. Expect a close series but Kiprusoff is the difference in this matchup.

Nashville vs San Jose - San Jose in 7

Predator fans around the world were seen jumping off of bridges when all world goaltender Tomas Vokoun went down for the season (get well soon TV) with a serious blood circulation disorder. While Chris Mason has played well in Vokoun's absense (not to mention scoring a goal!) I think San Jose lead by Joe Thorton and Jonathon Cheechoo, should be able to squeeze this series out, but Nashville will put up one hell of a fight.

Ottawa vs Tampa Bay - Ottawa in 6

The Senators took a big risk when they signed aging 40 something goaltender Dominik Hasek, figuring he was the missing piece in the Ottawa Stanley Cup puzzle. Since hurting his groin in the Olympics Ray Emery has done a fine job in replacing Hasek. Tampa Bay has a big problem in net but this team will have enough heart to at least make the series interesting. But Ottawa is the far better team.

Carolina vs Montreal - Carolina in 5

David Aebischer will likely be the starting netminder for Les Habitants which I cannot understand dont be suprised to see Christobel Huet in the Montreal net around game 3 or 4. While playing in a fairly soft division the Hurricanes have a lot of balance and Martin Gerber has given them steady goaltending, I dont feel they have enough to win a cup. But they should roll the Canadiens fairly easily.

New Jersey vs New York Rangers - Devils in 6

Other than the Hurricanes the biggest shock of the year is the stellar play of the Rangers and the ressurgence of Jaromir Jagr, who is a worthy Hart trophy candidate. I think the Rangers got the one matchup that really hurts this team. The Devils are grittier and Martin Brodeur appears to have found his form in the last two months. Lundquist will steal a game in this series but it probably wont be enough.

Buffalo vs Philadephia - Buffalo in 5

The Flyers D is slow. The Sabres forwards are fast. I think the Referee's will be making a point in the first round to say that they will still be calling the playoffs tight. If that happens the Sabres will get 6-9 powerplays a game which is too much for any team to deal with. Peter Forsberg is still the best player on the planet and will probably be able to keep the Flyers looking respectable. Also the goaltending matchup has to favor the Sabres.

Ya I know only one 'upset' picked. I'm a little dissapointed in that myself. however if you are looking for a darkhorse that could suprise everyone I'd keep my eye on Montreal if they can get Huet in fast enough and he can continue his hot play (assuming the Canadiens coaching staff hasn't crushed the kids confidence.)

With any luck I beat that stupid monkey!

There is always doubt in hockey, it's not an easy predictable sport like basketball. Any team in the playoffs has a chance to win it all... Detroit was supposed to win 3 years ago and was sweeped in the first round by Anaheim....

Curses , Hoop , you didn't predict the rounds after the first round! I was interested in seing 2nd round , conference championship , and stanley cup predictions. :( Maybe that will come later.

Well since its a virtual guarentee that I wont be 8 for 8 I figured I'll wait to pick round 2 till we know who is playing ;)

I'm praying for the Flames but I would have to guess Dallas over Ottawa if I had to make the prediciton right now.

Come on, we all know the Sharks are going to rip everyone apart. Between the Thornton/Cheechoo show, the league's most unheralded scoring line (Michalek-Marleau-Bernier) and the emergence of Vesa Toskala, San Jose is not a weak team...

JOE THORNTON FOR MVP!!!

That plus Nabarkov isn't a bad goalie at all. I remember the season before the strike he had a great playoffs but was bested by Kiprusoff. Nabarkov also was amazing in the Olympics. He is one of the good goalies out there in addition to Brodeur and Kiprusoff.

I think New Jersey and Detroit will meet in the Stanley cup finals.

That plus Nabarkov isn't a bad goalie at all. I remember the season before the strike he had a great playoffs but was bested by Kiprusoff. Nabarkov also was amazing in the Olympics. He is one of the good goalies out there in addition to Brodeur and Kiprusoff.

I think New Jersey and Detroit will meet in the Stanley cup finals.

Nabokov (no "r") isn't the starter this year. He had a terrible year (outside of a few olympic contests), and Vesa Toskala overtook him for the starting job.

If only San Jose shipped him to Calgary instead of Kiprusoff...

Tonight teh Sharks played a sloppy first game against Nashville, but I'm confident they can pull it off if they stay out of the freakin' box...

Dallas vs Colorado - Dallas in 5

The Av's did nothing short of throwing their last game of the season. (they wanted to play Dallas instead of Calgary??) Jose Theodore while I think was an excellent pickup by the Av's just isn't back ready to face a very well balanced Stars squad. This one won't be pretty for Av's fans.

Boy this was a nice call on my part LMAO

Habs are good but Carolina should win that series.

Looks like Brodeur is back to his old self. He's only given up 2 goals in 3 games. Devils should sweep Rangers.

And if Detroit doesn't win tonight , they can kiss the Stanley cup goodbye. Legace has angered me since the season before the strike when the Wings lost to Calgary. If Detroit wants to win another Stanley Cup they should release Legace or something , he's no Hasek.

edit : Turco is 1-7 or something against the Avs in his career. Maybe someone else should start next game? :lol:

LET'S GO PENGUINS LET'S GO.... wait we are last on the ladder overall and didnt make it .. wrong thread lol

AT LEAST WE HAVE SIDNEY CROSBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont forget Evgeni Malkin, and Marc Andre Fleury. plus a top 5 pick in this years draft. The Pens will be very good in about 2 seasons. Hopefully they are still in Pittsburgh then.

Archived