Any hip-hop heads remember this track?

MarkB

I remember this track from...late '90's, I guess; maybe '98 or '99, that got massive airplay on the radio for a short time, then totally fell off and wasn't played again because it was saturated so much. The only part I can remember is the hook, that went something like "The P, the H, the I, the L, the L, the Y, the P, the A, it's Philly, it's Philly". Sounds generic as hell, but I remember the lyrics being pretty tight.

Anyway, I've spent most of the morning listing to another Philly rapper and remembered this track. Checked Google, checked OHHLA.com, checked all the resources I know, and can't find the damn track. Please tell me someone else around here knows which track I'm talking about! :oops:

I remember this track from...late '90's, I guess; maybe '98 or '99, that got massive airplay on the radio for a short time, then totally fell off and wasn't played again because it was saturated so much. The only part I can remember is the hook, that went something like "The P, the H, the I, the L, the L, the Y, the P, the A, it's Philly, it's Philly". Sounds generic as hell, but I remember the lyrics being pretty tight.

Anyway, I've spent most of the morning listing to another Philly rapper and remembered this track. Checked Google, checked OHHLA.com, checked all the resources I know, and can't find the damn track. Please tell me someone else around here knows which track I'm talking about! :oops:

Is this it? http://www.elyricsworld.com/go/E/Eve-lyric...lly-lyrics.html

• 1 month later...

Found it on an old cassette. Seems to be by Major Figgas and Beanie Sigel. Can't find lyrics for it anywhere, either. 8O

Played it on cassette, recorded with MP3 player, converted to MP3 file, final result is here. If you don't like hip-hop, don't bother listening to it.

Now if only I could find the name of the track, I could get a real MP3.

the only thing that comes to mind is Boogie Down Productions Jimmy. It's older than late 90's and doesnt have anything to do with Philly, but has a similar hook as you described. Great old school rap song too.

Archived