2006 Massachusetts Floods

Sean O

Thought people might be interested in pics of my (old) hometown of the Merrimack Valley, about 30 miles NE of Boston. These were taken last week when the area received 12-18 inches of rain in a 3 day span. It's eery seeing the places you drove by each day suddenly under several feet of water.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/dx8rR4fh

It's nothing compared to the disasters last year in New Orleans and Alabama, but it's different when it's home. The Guesthouse Inn is .9 miles from my house, the Spickett River 1.23 miles, and the Music Hall 1.37 miles. I used to drive past the Woodworth Motors dealership every day on my way to high school. Relatives of ours own Jackson's restaurant.

Surreal.

Wow Sean, I had no idea that the flooding was THAT bad. Sure, with Katrina still on our minds it's easy to dismiss a little water where it shouldn't be but I still can't imagine growing up there & knowing those places. We had a bad fllod where I live in Pa in 1972, Agnes it was called, but I wasn't alive to see it. Still, the pictures of places that are still around today completely covered by water was quite a shock. Floods have always left me with a really weird feeling. I used to like it when our basement flooded as a kid & we would play in the dirty water, or when my yard would flood after a really heavy rain. Needless to say, floods don't seem too cool anymore. Thanks for sharing.

Archived