DVD software

MarkB

I'm in need of a good piece of software that can author DVDs. It has to have a menu facility, preferably a decent one, and subtitle support. Preferably, it could control the burning of the disc as well, but that's not a massive deal as I've got Nero for that. I've been using NeroVison Express, but the fact that it can't deal with subtitles and isn't particularly good at adjusting the quality of large files is putting me off rather seriously.

Anyone have any recommendations?

mark if you know what you're doing and trying to totally reauthor a dvd or make your own movie -try dvd reauthor pro or professional.

if you're just trying to copy a movie and want to keep subtitles and certain things intact and working correctly use clonedvd2 version 2.8.5.1. it will also allow you to compress certain areas of the dvd more than others. for example you can keep extra features but compress them really low which will allow more disc space (higher quality) for the main movie etc. it will also allow you to remove certain things (like trailers) on the dvd and keep everything functional.

for burning the disc images (iso or img files etc.) themselves- i use imgburn it's free and is a really small simple program. much better than nero. i avoid using nero when i can.

and of course if you're trying to fit a full dvd9 (dual layer) on a dvd5 (single layer +/- 4.7 gb disc) you could use dvd shrink (free). but, the above mentioned clonedvd2 can compress it just as well - plus you can remove extra features etc and keep menus and everything else working and intact much better and easier than dvd shrink.

this has all become a big time hobby for me since i've moved out here to L.A. as there is big money in legit dvd reauthoring jobs for studios here. so in my spare time i'm teaching myself the ropes...

hit me up if you need more info etc...

quick question

i dont understand why clonedvd and other programs wont allow me to create movie on dvd-rw, and i can create movie on cd-rw

if anyone knows about that and needs to know what my computer requires or another way to solve this problem

let me know about that!

thanks

i'm getting confused-do you have a burner installed? what type?

can you give a few examples of burner type? or can you show me how to find idenfity of the burner type?

because i open the clonedvd and i target it as cd-rw...there is no any dvd-rw or dvd-r

then you must not have a dvd burner (look in my computer) it'll tell you - the brand name and burner type (cdrw or dvdrw). just double click on my computer icon and it should list ALL your drives. you must not have one.

and yeah nero sucks- it's just bloatware- it's not good for much more than cd burning and maybe converting divx or avi to dvd. try using imgburn to burn to burn the dvd image file. i burn at 4x takes and it takes about 15 minutes.

it's kind of an extensive process to backup a dvd to a dvd-r.

1- run through dvd decrypter (freeware)

2-remove unwanted stuff (trailers, foreign audio, foreign subtitles, bonus features etc.) and compress (to fit on 4.7 gb dvd) in either clonedvd2 or dvd shrink(freeware). save compressed file as .iso or .img.

3- burn file wih imgburn (freeware) at 4x. don't do anything else on your pc until the burn is finished. just let it do it's thing.

dvddecrypter, clonedvd2/ dvdshrink and imgburn are the smallest lightest programs out there (IMO) to get the job done.

the more "unneeded" stuff you remove the better quality your main movie file will be. or you can also compress unnecessary stuff really low. the problem with a lot of the 1 click programs is that they do compress everything to fit on a standard dvd-r but, the main movie quality isn't that hot. in most case you may not notice it but if you have a 32 inch or larger screen then you'll start to see the image degradation. i always try to shoot at 70% or higher quality on the main movie. of course if you're burning to a dual layer disc you don't have to compress or remove anything. just decrypt it as an .iso or .img file and burn it to the blank dvd9 (dual layer) disc.

all right i am screwed up right now...

i want to understand how to solve this problem...

first things i do:

i check "my computer":

Devices with removable storages shows only 3 1/2 flobby (A:), CD-RW drive (D:), DVD drive (E:)

then i check its properties:

Name Type

WDC WD800JB-00JJC0 Disk drives

Flobby disk drive Flobby disk drives

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B DVD/CD ROM drives

HL-DL-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B DVD/CD ROM drives

that's all i have

note: i will not be here this night... i will check back tomorrow to see what's up with this situation!

holy rising from the ashes Batman! Great to have you back RAM! I give you a year to be a Dodger convert - lol. Another prog you can use to strip a dvd is AnyDVD. I use either DVD Shrink or AnyDVD

NOPE never a dodgers fan. but think of me sunday when you're watching me in my 6th row field box seats as the phils lay the wood to those trolleydodgers!!! i told you you need to come and visit!!

all right i am screwed up right now...

i want to understand how to solve this problem...

first things i do:

i check "my computer":

Devices with removable storages shows only 3 1/2 flobby (A:), CD-RW drive (D:), DVD drive (E:)

then i check its properties:

Name Type

WDC WD800JB-00JJC0 Disk drives

Flobby disk drive Flobby disk drives

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B DVD/CD ROM drives

HL-DL-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B DVD/CD ROM drives

that's all i have

note: i will not be here this night... i will check back tomorrow to see what's up with this situation!

You don't have a DVD Burner.

Archived