Arm Strength

slartibartfast

Some friends and I were having a homerun derby (with baseballs, not softballs) at the local softball fields, and after we got done and were retrieving all the balls, we thought we'd see how far we could throw from center field. We started touching the fence, and with a hop step, I could throw it over the 15-foot backstop at home plate. Most of my friends could only one-hop it to the mound, and no one else could even get to home in the air. Now, I've taken into consideration the athletic tendencies of my buddies (or lack thereof), and I was wondering if this was unusual.

Some friends and I were having a homerun derby (with baseballs, not softballs) at the local softball fields, and after we got done and were retrieving all the balls, we thought we'd see how far we could throw from center field. We started touching the fence, and with a hop step, I could throw it over the 15-foot backstop at home plate. Most of my friends could only one-hop it to the mound, and no one else could even get to home in the air. Now, I've taken into consideration the athletic tendencies of my buddies (or lack thereof), and I was wondering if this was unusual.

I've never tried it, so I couldn't say, but it might be your throwing technique that's more powerful or efficient rather than a much stronger arm.

I'd imagine it probably is the technique, as I'm not a particularly large guy (5'11", 155). The town I grew up in only had baseball through the 8th grade, so I don't really have anything to reference against. I was more curious how that would stack up against your average HS or collegiate baseball player.

It's my competitive nature.

Oh, I'm definitely not in shape . . . any time I go goof off with friends or play a game for a softball league, my arm feels like it'll never move right again. Especially after softball, my carney hands just don't grip those monstrous balls right.

As much as I hate it, I'll have to admit that I'm not enough of a baseball afficionado to know what the distance is between foul poles (or even the distance from a softball fence to home). Anybody who happens to know the dimensions for your standard softball and baseball fields and would like to share their knowledge . . . I would be grateful. Sorry, no monetary or sexual awards, I'm broke and male.

You'll have to live with the gratitude.

• 3 weeks later...

never measured how far i could throw...just played a lot of long toss to strengthen the pitching arm. we'd go right to left field pretty regularly. guess the biggest measure of my arm strength then without having the distance measure would be that my fastball was 87-90...think the highest i got was 92 and that involved a lot of grunting and such.

now though, with my "destroyed" (as my orthopedic surgeon diagnosed) right shoulder, i'd be lucky to throw it from here to the kitchen...and i live in a normal sized townhome :(

Sharpshooter wrote:

slartibartfast, that's awesome. I play CF for my softball team and I can't throw squat. I can barely hit the cutoff man near 2nd. And I'm in decent shape.

I can't throw softballs at all - every now and then it comes out of my hand right and I can get one to carry, but they have no zip and the odd tendency to tail away from wherever I'm throwing it. And I have to grip the balls with three fingers, 'cause of my tiny hands.

In high school, legion and the 1 year of college ball I played, I pitched a bit and had a decent arm. The highest I ever was clocked was 84mph. I never really threw for distance besides long toss and every once in a while we would get bored and throw balls over the centerfield fence from the pitchers mound.

Had to be about a 350ft. toss to clear so it was a pretty good heave. Softball fences are generally like 200ft. or so, right? So from center, if you were clearing a backstop, I imagine it had to be a 300ft. toss or better.

And a more technical question - how does one go about getting it to say "Sharpshooter wrote:" (like in the second post by MarkB), instead of my rather ghetto-looking

Sharpshooter wrote:

Quote:

Use the Quote feature in the upper right section of every post.

if my math is right (316 to left pole and 320 to right) the distance between the two is between 449 and 450 ft. I would subtract 20-30 ft for where we were standing. Plus factor in the fact that the wind blew from right to left on average 15 mph. I know thats a huge distance but I could do it. Maybe math is wrong, I havent taken any math courses since 2003 and feel stupid when it comes to math

Archived