DH - Designated Hitter

Astroholic

"A designated hitter (often shortened to "DH"), is an official position adopted by Major League Baseball's American League in 1973 that allowed teams to boost sagging offensive performances by designating a player to bat in place of the pitcher. It should be noted that no team is required to use a DH."

First off, I'd like to say I don't like the AL only DH rule. In my opinion a pitcher is a pro athlete and should have to hit. He's been hitting his whole life; T-Ball, High School, College, Minor Leagues, and now the Pro's...Why stop now?

Another point I'd like to make is why is it only American League? If there is a DH, why not have it for the entire league?

Not bashing the people who do support the DH rule, just want to hear everyones view of the matter.

as much as i love to watch pitchers hitting, you cant change it now. and it could help some great players extend their careers or give them careers like david ortiz. a lot of people would take his bat despite his glove, but still, i like seeing more offense.

i prefer it this way. it distinguishes the leagues even more, especially during the world series.

and think of this...

some players like the AL better, like pedro. he hit like 30 batters as a red sox pitcher (was known for great control) and then with the mets he only hit one batter all year. maybe he realized that if he hits someone hes getting up next inning...

My only problem with it is I feel bad for AL pitchers in the World Series. Some of the pitchers just look plain sick at the plate. Some long time AL pitchers have trouble making the transition to NL, for example Randy Johnson. He threw the bat half way to first every time he swung the bat, not having the success that Roger & Andy have had. In my opinion a pitcher is a Professional Athlete. He should have to hit just like everyone else. Pitchers have been hitting in T-Ball, High School, College, Minor leagues..why stop now? I'm fine that they voted, fine there is difference in the two leagues...but I do wish both had no DH's.

I like the DH rule, and I think it should be used in both leagues. It allows the pitchers to be more comfortable in their position, and allows them to pitch as long as they can, instead of being taken out after five or six innings because the team needs some more offense. The DH allows a bullpen to function more logically, instead of the cut and paste process in the NL.

It also allows some players who may be excellent hitters who have either had injuries or are just bad fielders to remain in the game and keep it more competitive. It would give some of the older stars in the league a chance to extend their careers by a feew years, and still be able to hit at a high level.

And having the A pitchers bat in interleague play is even more ridiculous. The advantage the NL has is huge. The AL pitchers have to spend loads of time taking BP when they shuold be throwing bullpen sessions or looking through scouting reports.

Let the pitchers pitch and the batters bat. To me, its the equivalent of making every starting fielder pitch one inning a game.

I love pitching, and my ideal game is both pitchers throwing no hitters. I'm fine with the DH rule for the AL. If I had to pick, I'd want the DH in both leagues, because most of the time a pitcher is an automatic out and a wasted at-bat.

"It also allows some players who may be excellent hitters who have either had injuries or are just bad fielders to remain in the game and keep it more competitive. It would give some of the older stars in the league a chance to extend their careers by a feew years, and still be able to hit at a high level."

Agreed. Player gets hurt, move to AL and DH. Let them play a few more years, not instantly end their career.

Nice post khinske9311.

and think of this...

some players like the AL better, like pedro. he hit like 30 batters as a red sox pitcher (was known for great control) and then with the mets he only hit one batter all year. maybe he realized that if he hits someone hes getting up next inning...

this is a big part of why i'm against the DH. maybe i'm just old school in this way but, if a pitcher wants to throw at guys, that's fine - just let him stand up there after he does it.

pedro is a perfect example. the guy will throw at hitters all day long in the AL because he knows that he doesn't have to stand in there later. his days in the NL however show that he rethinks that situation:

7 years in AL - 77 HBP

6 years in NL - 42 HBP (not including this year)

some pitchers, such as Clemens, will brush off batters anywhere - they have the old school mentality of "it's my plate". but for the most part, AL pitchers use the DH to protect them from the repercussions of their actions.

Uh, the NL is the only league to NOT use a DH.......

High School, College, Minors and Japan, ALL use a DH (In High School not as much because there are better hitters there, but there is the option....)

Get your facts straight buddy... :)

(I do like National League Rules better though :p)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived