Andrew Miller Cyberface Preview (6th pick of 2006 draft)

Zach

Here is some information on Miller.

TOP PITCHER: Andrew Miller, lhp, North Carolina

With the position-player crop looking scarce, power pitchers have commanded nearly all the attention to the halfway point. And no one has generated more buzz than Miller, who is meeting the massive hype with which he entered the season. The highest-drafted unsigned player from 2003 (third round) and twice the Cape Cod League's top prospect, Miller was 6-0, 1.34 with a 61-10 strikeout-walk ratio in 47 innings. His four-seam fastball reaches the mid 90s, but Miller has found success locating his 89-91 mph two-seamer and cutter while using his hard-biting slider as a strikeout pitch. The 6-foot-6 junior might have cemented his status as the top pick in June's draft over his last two starts. He held Georgia Tech and Florida State each to four hits over seven scoreless innings. He punctuated the Tech start with a career-best 13 strikeouts and one walk, and then punched out nine FSU hitters against one walk while permitting only one Florida State batter to hit a ball in the air.

Height / Weight:

6-6 / 210

Position:

LHP

B/T:

R/L

From scout.com:

Prospect Profile: Andrew Miller Premium Story

With their top pick in the 2006 draft, the Tigers selected North Carolina lefty Andrew Miller. Almost immediately following last year's draft, Miller was considered the top talent heading into this year. Check inside to see what Miller brings to the table, why he slipped to the Tigers, and how quickly he may be pitching in Detroit.

Andrew Miller

Position: Left-Handed Pitcher Height: 6-6 Weight: 210

Born: 5/21/1985 Bats: Right Throws: Left

Background

The 2003 draft saw Miller go in the 3rd round to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. In the end, he was the top unsigned pick in the draft. Miller has been a premium prospect since high school, and has only enhanced his stock since joining the Tar Heels. Miller was the Gatorade National Player of the Year as a high school senior, and was also a pre-season and post season high school All American. As a freshman at UNC, Andrew was named 2nd team All-ACC, as well as to the Freshman All-American Team, while posting a 6-3 record and 2.93 ERA in 89 innings. Miller’s sophomore campaign saw him become the UNC ace, while also garnering significant attention on post season watch lists. He was named to the watch lists for the Brooks Wallace, Roger Clemens (top pitcher), and Golden Spikes (top player) Awards. During the summer, Miller pitched for the Chatham A’s of the Cape Cod League, ending the season as the league’s top prospect. He was granted the Robert A. McNeece Outstanding Prospect Award, while also bringing home the B.F.C. Whitehouse Outstanding Pitcher Award. As a junior this season, Miller garnered numerous pre-season honors, and has thus far taken home end-of-season awards that include Louisville Slugger First Team All American, ACC Pitcher of the Year, First Team All-ACC, and is again a finalist for the Golden Spikes Award as the nation’s top player. Thus far, Miller’s junior campaign has been electric, as he sports a 2.26 ERA in 15 starts, with at least a few games still to go in the Super Regionals.

Scouting Report

Miller brings exceptional size, poise, and intelligence to the mound. His four-seam fastball sits consistently in the 93-95 range, and can touch 97 when he reaches back for more. His two-seamer has a little less velocity, but adds significant movement. Andrew gets plenty of natural sinking action on his secondary fastball, and can command it to both sides of the plate, low in the zone. Miller’s breaking ball is a late-breaking slurve that he can place on both corners, or bury in the dirt as a swing-and-miss out pitch. The slurve is currently an above-average pitch, but has shown plus potential at times. He has flashed a change-up at times, but the pitch is little more than a show-me pitch at this time. Miller will have to become more consistent with the pitch for it to be truly reliable. Andrew is a very good athlete, who fields his position well and repeats his low-3/4s delivery very well. He projects as a top of the rotation starter who could see an additional bump in velocity as he continues to mature.

Health Record

Miller has clean mechanics that he repeats very well, and has had no injury issues to this point in his career.

The Future

The Tigers have not been afraid of tricky negotiations over the last several seasons, and that appears to be the case again this year. Miller’s bonus demands have reportedly crept upwards of $10 million, and he may not be under contract until sometime this fall. It’s unlikely the Tigers would have made this pick if they were unwilling to pay a steep price for his services, but that doesn’t mean there will a quick resolution. Once signed, Miller should move very quickly, with the potential to reach Detroit for a cup of coffee by the close of the 2007 season. Expect to see him get significant Major League time during the 2008 season, and barring any significant injuries, he should join Justin Verlander at the top of the Detroit rotation in very short order.

Bottom line: Having Boras is good and bad for him. Good because he'll get more money than a 6th pick would normally get, plus, he's with the best up and coming team (mainly pitching-wise) in the AL. The bad = Scott Boras. :)

the tigers are shaping up to be great in the coming years. especially with the emergence of verlander and the drafting of miller, you guys got a lucky choice. i bet teams with the later picks in the first round would be dying to pay 10 million for miller.

and for the marlins, can they really sign anyone expensive, because a few million bucks would be the highest team salary lol. i dont get why college kids/HS kids get such high bonuses for signing when those levels are completely different from professional baseball.

scout.com probably has detailed scouting reports on a lot of the draft picks, and almost definitely the first 30. If you want to add them to UR, let me know, and I'll send you the reports.

Yeah, that'd be sweet bro'. Send them to totte@mvpmods.com

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Did this cyberface come out yet?

I decided to add Andrew Miller to my Tiger team.

O.T.

I was seated just a few rows behind home plate when Pudge hit the game winning homer Sat. night. It was incredible!!

It really was amazing, a couple of my friends went too... they went crazy.

Archived