I saw a pro at my work last week

LudeBoy

I saw Chad Pennington (first round draft pick of the A's a year or two ago) at my work place one day. It was the day after he got drafted...so maybe he was in to just spend some of that new signing bonus...haha. He's from my hometown of Corpus Christi, TX, but I did not expect to see him the day after he became a professional ball player.

Back in 1974 I was eating lunch at a Herfy's in San Jose and at the table next to me and my buddy was Ben Davidson of the Raiders and his kids. If I remember right, I was staring at the moustache with my mouth open, unable to breath or say anything... luckily, my friend finally had enough moisture in his mouth to ask him if he was Ben Davidson.. boy is that embarassing 32 years later.... i should have at least been able to say something like 'Len Dawson is a punk' but I froze

I just graduated from school in Boston (Northeastern University), and in a small, buzzing city like that, it's inevitable you'll bump into ball players because they LOVE going to the college bars or shopping on Newbury and Boylston Street. I've several Sox guys and some of the Yanks going into Capital Grille, but the only pro I've really had a chance to talk to was Vernon Wells. I was like "hey, you're Vernon Wells..." He was like "yeah?" and gave me the look of death. Scared the **** out of me. Prolly thought I was some Sox fan (even though I'm a Yanks guy). So I just was like "well, good luck tonight...peace"

last december, mariano rivera came to my school because he is good friends with my HS's softball coach and it was for some charity event. he was so cool, he seemed so oblivious to people calling him a "superstar" and "phenom", because he kept saying he was no different from us, which was great to me because he was genuine about it. he came from literally nothing and he takes nothing for granted. i wish all players were like him, no ego or self centeredness at all.

• 3 months later...

Andrew Miller (Detriot pitching prospect) went to the same High School as me (He was a senior when I was a sophmore). I've also gotten to meet David Eckstien, Brad Wilkerson, and a lot of other players (Including football and basketball players) from when they played for the University of Florida.

My mom went to high school with a LOT of celebrities (Hialeah High). I can't think of them all at the moment, but I know Bucky Dent was one of them.

I saw Jerome Williams (Junk Yard Dog) at Gretzkys restauraunt about 4 years ago. I would have gone up and asked him for an autograph, but being the polite kid I am, I thought it would be better to leave him and his wife alone in peace, so they could eat their semi-decent food. I've also met Wendel Clark, Shayne Corson, Darcy Tucker, Tie Domi, and every member of the Vancouver Canadians baseball team. I accually got 7 NW League balls from the Canadians this summer at a game. Also I have Matt Manship's email address, and I'm not telling you what it is. :)

I grew up with Arthur Gatti in Jersey City, well I was growing up he was already grown and just starting to fight. Also the first time I went to Vegas I ate dinner right next to Mike Tyson. I wanted to go get an autograph but my mother said no because she said he's crazy. Probably thought he was gonna eat me or something, lol.

Well I've seen many players and celebs but I'll just list some main ones.

Back in '99 My friends and I had an "incident" involving Joey Hamilton outside the SkyDome after a game one time. I ended up writting to Gord Ash (Jays GM at the time) and told him about the incident and also how I thought it was a waste of money getting Hamilton. He replied back with a personally signed letter and gave me an autographed photo of some kid pitcher named Roy Halladay.

Another encounter was during the offseason in Decemeber of maybe '97 or '98 and I was in the Dome for an event and I was walking by the locker room and Roger Clemens and a couple of other people (not players) were walking by, I just walked by and gave the head nod hello, he gave it back.

After a game one time my friends and I were waiting by where the Jays drive out from under the Dome and we saw Carlos Delgado riding his bicycle home (we were told he sometimes rode his bike so I was looking out for it) so we ran after him and I caught up to him on and got his autograph.

I could go on forever with stories of meeting players and such, esp. since now I park right beside the Jays when I go to the games.

i saw curt schilling getting food at the sunoco right behind my house back when he was on the phillies

jim thome lived in my school district when he was on the phillies

my brother has delivered pizza's to Garo Yepremian a couple times (dolphins place kicker when they had a perfect season)

and i've had hitting lessons from milt thompson

I've only met Red Sox players so far.

When I was 9, Mo Vaughn had a hitting clinic at Bryant College. It was a 3 day event, and when I was hitting, Vaughn walked up to me and helped me grip the bat better, and position my legs the right way. A reporter was nearby and took the picture, the next day I was on the front page of the sports section. What would have made that picture better is if I got his autograph. John Valentin was a guest the last day.

I attended a Nomar Garciaparra camp back in 2002, I got to meet Nomar and shake his hand. Before I got to the camp, my aunt gave me a picture of him signed with a personal note on it. To this day my aunt still won't tell me how she got that note. Trot Nixon and Lou Merloni made guest appearences.

Lastly, back in 2003, Todd Walker and Kevin Millar came down to Mulligan's Island for autographs and whatnot. Me and my friend woke up for 7 AM to get down there first. I ended up getting Walker's autograph, and before I left I told him good luck in his game that night. He ended up going 0-5. Oops.

well, i've seen alot of baseball players, like... oh 40 at least. I went to a Yankee game not too long ago - there where alot of baseball players there!

actually, i got close to meeting robinson cano when he was playing for the clippers, but i didn't...

Archived