Desktop power supply (want to upgrade graphics card)

NCMALEN

Ok, I've been reading many threads about different graphic cards, etc. as I have an Intel 82865G Integrated in a Gateway 510X desktop. All in all, I'd like to upgrade my graphics card.

My major issue is that I discovered that despite enough of a processor and RAM, that I only have a 250W power supply. Buying a new computer is not an option. Opinions wanted:

1- Do I buy a better power supply?

2- The FX5500 requires a min. 250W power supply. Being that I have 250W, is that enough?

3- Any other suggestions on graphic card models?

System specs:

Intel Pentium 4- 3.00ghz

1GB Ram

17 inch flat panel (DVI ties into this)

Thanks.

I had this same problem - Luckily I am somewhat smart on the insides of a comp so I bought a new power supply and went at it. I had a 250W supply and bought a Radeon 9800 pro so I bought a 500W (price was great). I got the same exact one sold in best buy for 100$ on ebay for like 20$. Heres the link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1108126220085

So look on ebay I saved tons of money and nothing is wrong with it or anything - And it was new and sealed.

Anyway as long as it fits into your computer (the screws line up) it is pretty easy to install. I had to drill into my computer case and make screw holes, but it fits fine now. Most likely you won't have to do that. Anyway it just screws in and then you connect the power cord to your HD, Graphics Card, Disk drives and motherboard - Or basically make a list of what you disconnect with your old one and make sure you just plug them all backm in - Its actually pretty easy. I never messed with anything like that before and I just did it fine with no problems.

the best thing to do if you're buying a new power supply- and don't know a lot about them is to compare them in person. you generaly want to pick the one that is heaviest and gives the most power outlets to connect everything.

if you skimp out and go for a cheapo lightweight power supply mark the day you bought it on your calendar. because almost without fail it'll probably last one year then crap out when you're doing something important and that can cause even bigger problems.

i use and recommend to my clients antec power supplies. look into a true blue- it will probably cost a bit more but, will definitely last a very long time.

installation is easy.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Ended up with a 480W Antec true blue power supply and Chaintech GeForce 6600 card!

excellent choice...

i like modular supplies sometimes too but, most of my customers i deal with don't have clear side cases or care about clutter. they just want something beefy that will last a long time for their money.

Follow up question (not a bump): I opted for the 500W Smartpower Antec power supply, and the Chaintech Geforce 6600. I'm noticing my computer really running "hot" and the fans are almost always running. It kinda sounds like the computer might overheat? Any input?

ps- Game is unbelievable from a graphics standpoint!

I'm noticing my computer really running "hot" and the fans are almost always running. It kinda sounds like the computer might overheat? Any input?

ps- Game is unbelievable from a graphics standpoint!

Do you have a temperature sensor programs so that you know how hot your computer is?

Also, whatever temperature's "safe" from overheating depends on your hardware, especially the CPU. You'd have to find that information via a search engine.

Do you have a temperature sensor programs so that you know how hot your computer is?

Also, whatever temperature's "safe" from overheating depends on your hardware, especially the CPU. You'd have to find that information via a search engine.

Klon, thanks for the reply, unfortunately, that's about where my computer knowledge ends. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm pretty sure I don't have a temperature sensor (that I'm aware of).

Klon, I installed "Motherboard Monitor."

Case- 122 degrees

Chipset- 109 degrees

CPU- 129 degrees

Does that qualify as too hot?

Please note that I'm no expert on Intel CPUs as I own AMD CPUs. I'm going to assume these temps are at Farenheit scale, otherwise your CPU would be melting if those readings were in Celsius :o .

Personally, that would seem a bit too hot and I would recommend checking out the airflow in your case. However, reading this report by finding it through Google search indicates that for your CPU, the temps are normal (129 degrees F == 54 degress C). Like I stated in an earlier post, you can find info on temperatures on your CPU and hardware through a handy Web search and determine what you should do from there.

For temperature readings it is usually handy to measure temperature in Celsius as many people who evaluate cooling and overheating issues use the Celsius scale. I think Motherboard Monitor can do that conversion for you. Celsius scale is readily understood because most of the world uses it.

Archived