Ben Roethlisberger motorcycle accident

Man, my heart goes out to the guy and his family. Image if your a family member... one day he is throwing TD passes and winning SuperBowls and whatever else a normal NFL QB does. The next WHAM he is an invalid on a hospital bed. Well maybe not quite an invalid but close. I cannot image what went through his head when he got on the cycle without a helmet.

As an inividual who rides a motorcycle (Harley), I can understand where he comes from about riding helmetless. When in states that don't require helmets I will not wear one, and even in the states that do, I wear a novelty helmet. This is not a bravado issue, to show my manhood, its just terribly uncomfortable to real a DOT helmet. Riding without a helmet enhances to ride dramatically.

The unfortunate thing is that most of the time, crashes on motorcycles are cause by impatient or distracted motorists who just don't see the motorcycle. To use a football term, you must always have your head on swivel when riding.

What I am glad to see, is that people on this site regardless of what team they root for still show sympathy and concern for a fellow human, I've been a Steeler fan all my life and when Ben crashed, I didn't even think about how it would affect the team until he was going to be ok, its just a sport.

My uncle crashed in South Carolina (no helmets required) last year April 15th and he passed away, after seeing my uncle crash and attending to him on the highway, Bens crash brought up some very vivid memories.

And for that gentleman who said he was a stupid person, thats completely unfair, he was doing what made him happy, his job isn't to ensure that we are happy, and I am sure all of us have made some bad judgment calls in our life. Sometimes things happen to teach us lessons, I just see this situation as an example of that.

Larry

My gosh, you'd think the guy died or something.

Broken jaw -- Out 7 weeks.

He'll be back in time for the pre-season opener! Ben's a tough guy, he won't even miss a beat. But unfortunetly the media and fans aren't as tough, so I'm sure we'll be hearing about this accident all year long.

My impression of the media after every Steelers game:

"Ben, are you still feeling the effects of the crash? Are you really really ok? Really? How were you able to throw 3 touchdown passes after being in that horrific accident in the off-season? Ben, are you the second coming of Superman?"

As an inividual who rides a motorcycle (Harley), I can understand where he comes from about riding helmetless. When in states that don't require helmets I will not wear one, and even in the states that do, I wear a novelty helmet. This is not a bravado issue, to show my manhood, its just terribly uncomfortable to real a DOT helmet. Riding without a helmet enhances to ride dramatically.

The unfortunate thing is that most of the time, crashes on motorcycles are cause by impatient or distracted motorists who just don't see the motorcycle. To use a football term, you must always have your head on swivel when riding.

What I am glad to see, is that people on this site regardless of what team they root for still show sympathy and concern for a fellow human, I've been a Steeler fan all my life and when Ben crashed, I didn't even think about how it would affect the team until he was going to be ok, its just a sport.

My uncle crashed in South Carolina (no helmets required) last year April 15th and he passed away, after seeing my uncle crash and attending to him on the highway, Bens crash brought up some very vivid memories.

And for that gentleman who said he was a stupid person, thats completely unfair, he was doing what made him happy, his job isn't to ensure that we are happy, and I am sure all of us have made some bad judgment calls in our life. Sometimes things happen to teach us lessons, I just see this situation as an example of that.

Larry

nice post and all great points. and yes i agree calling someone stupid for doing something that they believe in is totally uncalled for. we all take chances and do reckless things... think about that the next time you quaff down a few beers and hop behind the steering wheel.

i also agree with the above post about the media. it's just gotten so ridiculous and more to do with sissy rumour mongering and gossip than anything else. i blame ESPN for the most part. especially since they sold out to disney and are now showing disney preview trailers before certain show segments- they've lost all integrity IMO. it's getting harder to tell the difference between sportscenter and the view any more...

Just to add another note, I have read an article claiming that Bengals, Ravens and Browns fans have enjoyed the fact that Ben was hurt. Some even stating that they wished he would have not been able to return. Are sports teams more important than life itself? I am a diehard Pirates, Steelers, Pens fan, but when Palmer was injured in the playoffs last year, I felt terribly for him. Its sick to hear ignorant sports fans say such insensitive things. One of the most important things about sports is sportsmanship, I guess with the TO's and the Chad Johnsons of the sports world, teach children about sportsmanship is a dying art. Thank God for guys like Albert Pujols.

Sorry guys... just had to rant a little

Larry

Just to add another note, I have read an article claiming that Bengals, Ravens and Browns fans have enjoyed the fact that Ben was hurt. Some even stating that they wished he would have not been able to return. Are sports teams more important than life itself? I am a diehard Pirates, Steelers, Pens fan, but when Palmer was injured in the playoffs last year, I felt terribly for him. Its sick to hear ignorant sports fans say such insensitive things. One of the most important things about sports is sportsmanship, I guess with the TO's and the Chad Johnsons of the sports world, teach children about sportsmanship is a dying art. Thank God for guys like Albert Pujols.

Sorry guys... just had to rant a little

Larry

yeah your right ... but hey nice to meet another Penguins fan :p !!!!!!! GO PENS!!!!!!!!!1

Archived