[align=center]April 7th, 2006

Dolphins Stadium, Miami

Washington at Florida

Ramon Ortiz vs. Jason Vargas[/align]

Linescore

linescore8ux.png

Scoring Plays

scoringsummary9bt.png

Recap: Nats Reel In The Fish The Right Way.

MIAMI -- The Nats utilized solid baseball fundamentals on their way to a 5-3 win in the first of a 3 game set in Florida. 'We're not a power-packed lineup, so we've got to manufacture runs to win the tight games', said manager Frank Robinson. Washington did just that in the 1st inning. Stuggling LF Alfonso Soriano (.071 BA) worked a full-count walk off Florida starter Jason Vargas, (L, 0-1, 6.43) making his MLB debut, and stole second with No. 2 hitter Royce Clayton at bat. Clayton grounded to 2nd baseman Wilson Delgado, allowing Soriano to reach 3rd, and he scored on Jose Vidro's deep fly ball. Hitting coach Mitchell Page explained, 'that's what we've been instilling into our hitters. There's more than one way to get a run.' Another sac fly by Brian Schneider doubled the Nats lead in the 2nd inning.

-But Ramon Ortiz (W, 1-0, 4.00) relinquised that lead in the 2nd, allowing a 2 run single to Miguel Olivo with 2 outs. In the 4th Olivo also singled to almost an identical spot, scoring the Marlins 3rd run. Robinson was critical of Ortiz' approach to No. 8 hitter Olivo, 'with the pitcher on deck and runners on base he should be nibbling at the corners, not sending fastballs down the middle. A walk isn't a disaster, but a single is.' Sandwiched between the two Olivo hits was a monster 2 run home run by Jose Guillen that went deep into the left field seats. 'He left a changeup right over the middle, and luckily I was waiting on it', Guillen told reporters. Vargas said, 'I left the changeup too high, a mistake pitch right in the slot, and he put it where it belonged.'

-Ortiz wasn't outstanding tonight (8 hits in 6 innings), but got the outs when he needed them. He didn't record any strikeouts (in fact the first Washington pitcher to record a K was Gary Majewski with 2 outs in the 8th) but had a G/F ratio of 13/5. 'I didn't bring my best stuff tonight, so I had to focus on keeping the ball down and letting the D do their job.'

-After Ortiz exited in the 7th, the bullpen kept the game in check. With usual 7th inning man Luis Ayala tending to personal matters, Joey Eischen took the ball. The lefty got out of a jam thanks to Ryan Church's arm, throwing out Dan Uggla at home. Marlon Byrd tacked on an insurance run in the 7th with his 1st homer of the season. Gary Majewski pitched the 8th and Chad Cordero collected his 2nd save of the season in the 9th.

-Washington is looking for the bats to break out big time tomorrow against Marlins starter Scott Olsen. as rookie lefty Michael O'Connor gets the start. Robinson is hoping the game opens up as soon as possible to give O'Connor some breathing room to relax and throw his amazing off-speed stuff. Both starters are pitching in their 1st MLB games, so there could be some fireworks.

Players of the Game

Jose Guillen, WAS

4 AB, 1 H, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 HR

PH2005050400231.jpg

Jose Guillen's circles the bases; his 2 run homer was the difference tonight.

Miguel Olivo, FLA

4 AB, 2 H, 3 RBI

Olivo's 3 RBI's on 2 singles were all the runs Florida could muster.

This next game was weird. I've got 'Variable Stuff' On, and well, Mike O'Connor's stuff was well and truly off. The fastball reached 85 mph and the changeup reached 87. I was using the changeup to get some 'giddy up', rofl.

[align=center]April 8th, 2006

Dolphins Stadium, Miami

Washington (2-2) at Florida (1-3)

Michael O'Connor (0-0, 0.00) vs. Scott Olsen (0-0, 0.00)[/align]

Recap: O'Connor Pitches Well, Not Well Enough.

Miami -- Michael O'Connor, in his major league debut, pitched well enough to pick up a win, but the bats and bullpen couldn't help him out against Marlins rookie Scott Olsen. O'Connor (0-0, 3.60) only gave up 1 hit in the 5.0 innings he pitched, but that hit was a home run to Jeremy Hermida, which was preceded by a walk to Josh Willingham. The Nats halved the deficit in the 3rd, as Marlon Byrd came in to score on Royce Clayton's single. O'Connor left after 5 innings with the score at 2-2 thanks to an RBI single from Jose Guillen. The Marlins scored the decisive run of losing pitcher Jon Rauch (L, 0-1, 3.00) by way of a long home run off 2B Dan Uggla's bat. That was the way the score stayed as the Nats lineup couldn't score again off pitchers Olsen (W, 1-0, 3.00), Josh Wayne, Jason Johnson and Joe Borowski (S, 1).

Alfonso Soriano failed to get out of his season opening slump, going 0-for-4 to lower his average to .056 (1-for-18), and was taken out of the game in the 6th for center fielder Ryan Church. CF Marlon Byrd shifted over to LF in place of Soriano. After the game, Soriano vented his frustrations about his slump. 'I think its a psychological thing, I'm pushing at the plate for a big hit, where I should be relaxing and hitting the ball where it's pitched.' Soriano did not comment on whether the extra practice put in to fielding in the outfield had any effect on his batting. It is widely publicised that Soriano is not happy about playing LF, and if the Nationals don't mount a challenge in the NL East then expect him to be shipped to a contender for prospects.

Washington is in for a battle tomorrow, when staff aces Livan Hernandez and Dontrelle Willis match up for the rubber game of this 3 game series in Florida. The Nats are hoping to end on a high so they can come in to Atlanta with some confidence to face the Braves, themselves at 2-3.

Linescore

linescore0ev.png

Scoring Plays

scoringsummary0zs.png

Players of the Game

WAS: Michael O'Connor

5.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 K, 3.60 ERA

Y5XAtwJu.jpg

O'Connor pitches in his first big league game.

FLA: Scott Olsen

6.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 K, 3.00 ERA

dqHQoigY.jpg

Olsen picked up his first win in his first start for the Fish.

Archived