Taking Down the Beasts of the East: A New Jays Dynasty

cybernetic

I have started a new Jays dynasty.. Jays roster updated and up-to-date as well as minors for non-DL of course.

Opening day roster is this:

Starting Rotation:

Roy Halladay

AJ Burnett

Ted Lilly (LH)

Josh Towers

Gustavo Chacin (LH)

Bullpen:

LR-Scott Downs (LH)

MR-Francisco Rosario

MR-Jason Frasor

MR-Pete Walker

SU-Scott Schoeneweis (LH)

SU-Justin Speier

CP-BJ Ryan (LH)

Protejected Lineups:

vs. RHP:

Frank Catalanotto, LF

Alex Rios, RF

Vernon Wells, CF

Troy Glaus, 3B

Lyle Overbay, 1B

Shea Hillenbrand, DH

Bengie Molina, C

Aaron Hill, SS

Russ Adams, 2B

vs. LHP:

Reed Johnson, LF

Alex Rios, RF

Vernon Wells, CF

Troy Glaus, 3B

Shea Hillenbrand, DH

Bengie Molina, C

Lyle Overbay, 1B

Aaron Hill, SS

Russ Adams, 2B

Bench:

John McDonald, utility infielder

Reed Johnson, utility outfielder

Gregg Zaun, backup catcher (will start at times against RHP's)

Eric Hinske (will be used in a utility role, can play 3B, 1B, LF and RF as well as DH)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd glitch doubled 3 Angel all-stars when I made the roster but the doubles abilities are gone now so nobody will sign them and they will probably retire at the end of the season. I won't play the first game until tomorrow.

Johan Santana vs. Roy Halladay with the Twins in the Rogers Centre.

Organizational goals:

To build a team that can compete with the likes of the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in the tough American League East. The goal for this season is to make the playoffs whether that means to win the division or get in through the wild card. We feel we have a strong starting staff and a very good lineup that can challenge for the division title. We've made some big deals in the off-season bolster our team in all facets.

After dinner (and tonight's Jays game I'm going to begin the dynasty). Glitches with duplicates are repaired. I only made the major moves to other team not included in UR 6.5.

Orlando Hernandez/Jorge Julio trade

Kaz Matsui/Eli Marrero trade

Phil Nevin/Jerry Hairston Jr. Trade

Also Roger Clemens on Houston Astros.. I moved down the long man off the MLB roster to AAA.. LR in AA > A and released the long man in A for the Astros since all their rosters are at the max 25

Also Twins transaction was made in-game.. they signed Juan Gonzalez. I'm not sure if he's on the major league roster but he's not in the starting lineups.

Jays Fall to Twins on Opening Day

April 4, 2006 - Game 1/162

0404main2hu.jpg

Left: Joe Mauer slides in safely with a double.

Right: The crowd watches a Shea Hillenbrand home run.

icon_tor.gif

In the first inning, Roy Halladay looked pretty sharp retiring the side in order but his command seemed to leave him as the game went on. The Twins opened the scoring in the 2nd when Justin Morneau hit a sacrifice fly that scored Torii Hunter who tripled to lead off the inning. The Twins would then extend the lead in the 3rd. Joe Mauer sliced a pit the other way into the left-field corner to score 2 runs on a double making it 3-0. The Twins would make it 4-0 in the 4th on a Jason Bartlett basehit that scored Rondell White. The Jays finally got on the board off Johan Santana in the bottom of the frame when Reed Johnson doubled to lead off the inning. Then with one out he stole third and the throw from catcher Joe Mauer sailed into left field allowing him to score. Halladay settled down from there and went 6 innings allowing just those 4 runs. In the bottom of the 7th, the Jays got some runs on the board on Santana. Shea Hillenbrand bashed a Santana fastball into the left-field bleachers for a 2-run home run, also scoring Vernon Wells who singled earlier in the inning. The Jays bullpen allowed a run in the 8th when Shannon Stewart hit a sacrifice fly off Justin Speier with the bases loaded.

The Jays failed to mount anymore offense and lost the game 5-3. Johan Santana was the victor (1-0) going 7 strong innings. He allowed 3 runs on 4 hits, didn't walk anyone and struck out 7 batters. Roy Halladay (0-1) went 6 innings allowing 4 runs on 10 hits, walked 1 and struck out 4. Joe Nathan got the save for the Twins (his 1st).

0404box8ux.jpg

Scoring Plays:

MIN 2ND: Justin Morneau sac-fly.

MIN 3RD: Joe Mauer 2-run double.

MIN 4TH: Jason Bartlett RBI single.

TOR 4TH: Reed Johnson steals third, scores on throwing error.

TOR 7TH: Shea Hillenbrand 2-run HR.

MIN 8TH: Shannon Stewart sac-fly.

Clubhouse Talk:

"Santana is just nasty, you get geared up to hit his fastball and he throws that filthy change-up on you and you're right out in front of it." - Vernon Wells, CF

"I just had trouble spotting my fastball all night, fortunately for me I was missing the zone completely and not leaving it over the middle." - Roy Halladay, SP

"Shame we couldn't win the home opener. We'll just go out there tomorrow and try to get one against Radke.." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Johan Santana

2. Joe Mauer

3. Shea Hillenbrand

0404standings7ux.jpg

Outlook:

A.J. Burnett will take the mound against Brad Radke in the middle game of the series. A.J. Burnett will be making his Jays debut.

Transactions:

None.

Things Get Ugly in the 8th but Jays Squeak Out Win

April 5, 2006 - Game 2/162

0406m7ce.jpg

Left: AJ Burnett K's Justin Morneau, one of 9 in the game.

Middle: Frank Catalanotto stretches out to snare a line drive off the bat of Lew Ford.

Right: Shannon Stewart charges the mound in 8th, sparking a bench clearing brawl.

icon_tor.gif

AJ Burnett was absolutely dominant in what was a tight pitchers duel between him and Brad Radke. Neither one wanted to give up anything. The Twins opened the scoring in the 5th when Jason Bartlett lined an RBI the other way to score Rondell White from 2nd. He walked to lead off the inning. In the bottom of the 6th, the Jays would tie the game when Troy Glaus scored on a bases loaded double play with no outs. The score stayed that way for a while and the game got wild in the top of 8th. AJ Burnett beaned Shannon Stewart in the leg and he took exception to it, charging the mound. A benches clearing brawl would ensue resulting in the ejections of Shannon Stewart and Jays third baseman Troy Glaus. No suspensions were handed down by the league following the incident. That would be the end of the day for Burnett, however, as he was pulled for Scott Schoenweis with the game still tied. Schoenewies then retired the next 3 batters in order to leave pinch-runner Jason Tyner stranded. The Jays would tie the game in the bottom of the inning when Bengie Molina hit an RBI-single scoring Eric Hinske, who took over at third for Glaus in the top of the inning. Aaron Hill would then follow with an RBI-single of his own that scored Lyle Overbay as the Jays took a 3-1 lead.

BJ Ryan made his Jays debut and struggled. He allowed 3 straight singles to the first three batters he faced to load the bases. Lew Ford then flew out but it wasn't deep enough to score Morneau from third as he held. Ryan then struck out Jason Bartlett before yielding a basehit to Jason Tyner that made it 3-2. Ryan would then enduce a groundball out of Luis Castillo to end the game. It was a wild finish but Ryan held on for his first save as a Blue Jay.

Scott Schoeneweis picked up the win in relief (1-0) of Burnett while Brad Radke would get the loss (0-1) for the Twins. He went 7 1/3 innings allowing 2 runs on 9 hits, walked a batter and struck out 2. AJ Burnett went 7 innings yielding a run on 3 hits, walked 3 and struck out 9 but did not factor in the decision.

0405box2qv.jpg

Scoring Plays:

MIN 5TH: Bartlett RBI double. White scored.

TOR 6TH: Molina GIDP. Glaus scored.

TOR 8th: Molina RBI single. Hinske scored.

TOR 8th: Hill RBI single. Overbay scored.

MIN 9TH: Tyner RBI single. Morneau scored.

Clubhouse Talk:

"I felt good. I was able to throw all my pitches in any count over for strikes. Unfortunately, I didn't get any run support but Radke was on his game too." - AJ Burnett, SP

"I was a little nervous making my debut for a new team and my command was a bit off because of it." - BJ Ryan

"Burnett adds a good 1-2 punch to our rotation that we lacked last season. BJ (Ryan) will come around, he really buckled down after giving up those first three hits." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. AJ Burnett (7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 9 K)

2. Aaron Hill (2-for-3, 2B, GW RBI)

3. Lyle Overbay (3-for-4, R)

0405st8vc.jpg

Outlook:

Lefty Ted Lilly will take the mound against sinkerballer Carlos Silva in the rubber match of the series.

Transactions:

None.

Ryan gave up not only one hit, but four?!?!?! Hell has indeed frozen over.

It's variable stuff.. his stuff was not good. He kept missing inside and off the corner and they didn't chase it. Then when he threw it on the corner in the zone they'd hit it and it would sneak through the infield somehow. It was very frustrating.

Baltimore 2-0 and in first :lmao: :bs:

It's only like the 3rd day of the season.. Baltimore will fall way off soon. Also Mariano Rivera is tied for the league in blown saves with 1 and has no saves. Yankees are 1-2. In my last dynasty Baltimore was hot early on and fell way off. Both the Yankees and Red Sox were off to a really slow start and turned it around by mid-May. Keep in mind also that Baltimore is playing Tampa Bay to start the season.

It's variable stuff.. his stuff was not good. He kept missing inside and off the corner and they didn't chase it. Then when he threw it on the corner in the zone they'd hit it and it would sneak through the infield somehow. It was very frustrating.

Those are the worst. I once had a game where all of the hits were like that; extremely frustrating.

Jays Win Back & Forth Battle, Take Series Over Twins

April 6, 2006 - Game 3/162

0407m6sh.jpg

Left: Russ Adams tagged by Joe Mauer on a strong throw from Torii Hunter in the 3rd.

Middle: Rondell White belts a 3-run home run in the 5th.

Right: Lew Ford watches a Lyle Overbay game-tying 2-run home run in the 6th.

icon_tor.gif

The rubber match between the Jays and Twins was a back-and-forth struggle all game. The Jays jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 1st on a sacrifice fly from Vernon Wells, scoring Frank Catalanotto. The lead would stand until the 5th where Ted Lilly struggled. He walked Shannon Stewart to lead off the inning which is never a good thing. He would come around to score 2 batters later on a basehit by Torii Hunter that tied the game. The next batter, Rondell White, would then belt a 3-run home run blowing the game open and giving the Twins a 4-1 lead. Lilly would get out of the inning without further damage. In the bottom of the frame, the Jays would get a run back when Alex Rios drove in Russ Adams to make it 4-2. Francisco Rosario made his major league debut on the hill, relieving Ted Lilly in the top of the 6th pitching a clean frame retiring all 3 batters. Lilly went just 5 innings allowing 4 runs on 8 hits, walked 3 and struck out 4. Lyle Overbay would tie the game in the bottom of the 6th with a 2-run home run to deep right-center scoring Troy Glaus who led-off the inning with a single. After another clean inning from Rosario, the Jays would jump out to the lead in the bottom of the 7th when Frank Catalanotto led-off the inning with a home run, which chased starter Carlos Silva from the game. Silva went 6 innings allowing 5 runs on 11 hits, didn't walk anyone and struck out just 1 batter.

In the 8th, the Twins would tie the game again scoring a run on an RBI double by Shannon Stewart off reliever Justin Speier. Speier would then retire Luis Castillo to end the inning with the game still tied 5-5. In the bottom of the frame Reed Johnson would hit a 1-out sacrifice fly to score pinch-runner Eric Hinske to give the Jays back a 6-5 lead. B.J. Ryan then came in and struck out the side on 11 pitches to earn the save and seal the victory for the Jays. Justin Speier picked up the win (1-0) with an inning of work. Juan Rincon got the loss for the Twins also throwing an inning.

0406b8ae.jpg

Scoring Plays:

TOR 1ST: Wells Sac. Fly, Catalanotto scored.

MIN 5TH: Hunter RBI 1B, Stewart scored.

MIN 5TH: White 3-run HR, Morneau & Hunter scored.

TOR 5TH: Rios RBI 1B, Adams scored.

TOR 6TH: Overbay 2-run HR, Glaus scored.

TOR 7TH: Catalanotto solo HR.

MIN 8TH: Stewart RBI 2B, Mauer scored.

TOR 8TH: Johnson Sac. Fly, Hinske scored.

Clubhouse Talk:

"It wasn't one of my better games. I just didn't have great command of my pitches and couldn't spot them, especially my curveball." - Ted Lilly SP

"It was nice to make my major league debut at home, everything went well and I got ahead of all the batters I faced." - Francisco Rosario

"B.J. Ryan was on tonight, that's the B.J. Ryan we wanted when we signed him. Rosario did a great job for us holding the Twins in check so we could mount a comeback. We knew he had great stuff but he's been held back with injuries throughout his career. Good to see him finally make his debut and succeed." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Lyle Overbay (2-for-4, HR, 2 RBI)

2. Rondell White (1-for-5, HR, 3 RBI)

3. Francisco Rosario (2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER)

0407st3sa.jpg

Outlook:

Josh Towers will make his first start of the season matched up against Tampa Bay's Seth McClung tomorrow at the Rogers Centre. The Devil Rays were just swept in a 3-game series by the Baltimore Orioles to open the season.

Transactions:

None.

Jays Rout Devil Rays

April 7, 2006 - Game 4/162

0407ls1zz.jpg

0407m6xc.jpg

Left: Vernon Wells reaches on an error to 3B Ty Wigginton, Catalanotto scored on the play.

Middle: Travis Lee lines a 2-run double into the left-center gap.

Right: Shea Hillenbrand scores on a 2-run inside-the-park home run.

icon_tor.gif

The Jays roughed up the Seth McClung and the Devil Rays tonight, winning easily by an 8-3 count. Poor pitching and bad fielding led to the loss for the Devil Rays as 4 runs ended up scoring as the result of 2 fielding errors. McClung pitched only 4 2/3 innings allowing 6 runs (5 earned) in the game. Josh Towers was fairly good but got into trouble in the 7th as he tired out allowing 3 runs in the inning, the only 3 he allowed in the game. He went 6 1/3 allowing 3 runs on 5 hits in the game. 5 differnet Blue Jays recorded an RBI in the game.

0407tbbox8rq.jpg

0407tbpl0co.jpg

0407tobox5hj.jpg

0407topl5ko.jpg

Scoring Plays:

TOR 1ST: Wells reached on E5 (Wigginton), advanced to 3rd. Catalanotto scored.

TOR 1ST: Overbay RBI 1B, Wells scored.

TOR 3RD: Glaus RBI 1B, Rios scored.

TOR 4TH: Catalanotto RBI 1B, Molina scored.

TOR 4TH: Wells RBI 1B, Hill scored.

TOR 5TH: Molina RBI 1B, Overbay scored.

TBD 7TH: Lee 2-RBI 2B, Cantu & Baldelli scored.

TBD 7TH: Lugo RBI 1B, Lee scored.

TOR 8TH: Hillenbrand 2-RBI inside-the-park HR, Catalanotto scored. E9 (Gomes) on the play.

Clubhouse Talk:

"For some reason I always seem to throw well against Tampa Bay, I don't know what it is about their team." - Josh Towers, SP

"Towers has been a consistent bottom-of-the-rotation starter for us the past couple years and we look for big things from him this season." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Josh Towers (6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, W)

2. Lyle Overbay (3-for-4, 2B, RBI)

3. Travis Lee (2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI)

0407s8te.jpg

Outlook:

Gustavo Chacin faces off with Doug Waechter in game 2 of the 3-game series.

Transactions:

None.

I'm going to play Game 3 against the Devil Rays shortly. Roy Halladay vs. Scott Kazmir and then I'll post game reports for both game 2 and 3.

Game 2 was a 4-0 loss by the way, Chacin got roughed up in the 4th and the Jays couldn't get much going offensively at all.

Jays Stymied by Waechter, Fall to D-Rays

April 8, 2006 - Game 5/162

0408ls7kl.jpg

0408m0oa.jpg

Left: Julio Lugo tagged out at home by Bengie Molina in the 1st.

Right: Frank Catalanotto watches a Rocco Baldelli drive in the 2nd.

icon_tor.gif

Doug Waechter effectively shut down the Jays bats, in what was a 4-0 win for the Devil Rays. He threw a complete game 5-hit shutout. No Blue Jay had an extra basehit in the contest. Toby Hall had 2 RBI in the game, Rocco Baldeli had a home run and Julio Lugo had an RBI double. Gustaco Chacin allowed 4 runs over 5.1 innings in the loss (0-1).

0408tbbox6kl.jpg

0408tbpl6iy.jpg

0408tobox7vb.jpg

0408topl4wc.jpg

Scoring Plays:

TB 2nd: Baldelli HR.

TB 5th: Lugo RBI 2B, Hall scored.

TB 6th: Hall RBI 1B, Cantu & Wigginton scored.

Clubhouse Talk:

"Waecther just shut us down, plain and simple. He effectively kept us off-balance and forced a lot of weak pop-ups and groundballs." - Frank Catalanotto, LF

"This game was down-right unacceptable, there's no way we should lose like that to a pitcher of his caliber." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Doug Waechter (9 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, W)

2. Toby Hall (1-for-3, 2 RBI)

3. Rocco Baldelli (2-for-3, HR)

0408s4rs.th.jpg

Outlook:

A battle of the aces: Roy Halladay (0-1, 6.00 ERA) against Scott Kazmir (0-1, 1.29 ERA). Both pitcher's are trying to even their record. Kazmir allowed just a run in his first start but his bullpen let the game get away. Halladay did not have a good start allowing 4 runs in 6 innings.

Transactions:

None.

Jays Lose Pitcher's Duel in Extra Inning

April 9, 2006 - Game 6/162

0409ls8oe.jpg

0409m0da.jpg

Left: Alex Rios scales the wall in the 1st to rob Jonny Gomes of a home run.

Right: Aaron Hill beats Aubrey Huff to the bag for a force out.

icon_tor.gif

Both Roy Halladay and Scott Kazmir were on their games tonight, throwing up 0's in the board throughout the game. The Jays opened the scoring in the 6th when Aubrey Huff threw away the ball on a sacrifice bunt by Reed Johnson. John McDonald who had singled to lead off the inning came all the way around to score from 1st. Reed Johnson advanced to 3rd but the Jays couldn't bring him home. In the 8th, the Devil Rays chased Roy Halladay after back-to-back singles with 1 out and the Jays still ahead 1-0. Justin Speier then threw a pitch that was smacked up the middle by pinch hitter Toby Hall to tie the game. It would stay that way until the 11th when Carl Crawford doubled to score Julio Lugo and give the Devil Rays a 2-1 lead. The Jays got a 2-out basehit in the bottom of the frame but ending up losing the contest and the series 2-1. Travis Harper picked up the win for the Devil Rays (1-0). He went 2.2 innings and allowed just 1 hit. Jason Frasor got the loss (0-1) in 2 innings. He allowed a run on 3 hits.

Both starters were very good. Roy Halladay went 7.1 innings allowing a run on 4 hits while Scott Kazmir went 7.1 innings as well allowing a run on 3 hits. Halladay had 9 strikeouts besting Kazmir's 4.

0409tbbox3al.jpg

0409tbpl3gd.jpg

0409tobox4kn.jpg

0409topl9lt.jpg

Scoring Plays:

TOR 6th: McDonald scored on E5 (Huff) on Johnson sac-bunt.

TB 8th: Hall RBI 1B scored Hollins.

TB 11th: Crawford RBI 2B scored Lugo.

Clubhouse Talk:

"I threw a great game, although I feel I got pulled too soon. I think I would've gotten out of that jam in the 8th" - Roy Halladay, SP

"Our bullpen just can't hold leads this season. They've already blown 2 leads for us. We could easily be 5-1 if they held those leads." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Roy Halladay (7.1 IP, 4 H, ER, 0 BB, 9 K)

2. Scott Kazmir (7.1 IP, 3 H, ER, 0 BB, 4 K)

3. Carl Crawford (1-for-4, GW RBI 2B in 11th)

0409s0tt.th.jpg

Outlook:

The Jays have an off-day tomorrow and then begin a 3-game series in Boston. It will be A.J. Burnett (0-0, 1.29 ERA) against Josh Beckett (0-0, 6.75 ERA) in the opener. The pair won the world series together with the Marlins a few years ago, although Burnett missed the playoffs due to injury. Burnett left with the game tied at 1 after 7 innings due to a high pitch count in his first start. The Jays ended up winning the game in the 8th with a 2-run rally. He was outstanding in that game striking out 9 batters in the game.

Transactions:

None.

Jays Outslug Sox

April 11, 2006 - Game 7/162

linescore2pv.jpg

main4yb.jpg

Left: Manny Ramirez strikes out swinging, one of three times on the night.

Middle: J.T. Snow launches one over the green monster in the 5th.

Right: Trot Nixon dejected after a Lyle Overbay 3-run blast.

icon_tor.gif

The Jays won an slugfest and hammered Josh Beckett and the Red Sox by a score of 8-5. They outhit the Red Sox 19-9 in the game. Beckett allowed 15 on those hits and 6 of the Blue Jay runs on the night. A.J. Burnett was good except for in the 5th where he gave up 4 runs on 5 hits including 2 home runs. B.J. Ryan picked up a 2-inning save (his 3rd) in the win. Burnett got the win (1-0) going 7 innings. He allowed 4 runs on 7 hits and struck out 5. Beckett got the loss (0-1) and now has an ERA of 7.94 on the season.

awaybox9iz.jpg

awayline9cz.jpg

homebox5zh.jpg

homeline4qk.jpg

Scoring Plays:

Tor 2nd: Hill RBI 1B

Tor 4th: Hinske RBI 2B

Tor 4th: Adams RBI 1B

Bos 5th: Snow 2-R HR

Bos 5th: Crisp 2-R HR

Tor 7th: Overbay 3-R HR

Bos 8th: Loretta RBI 2B

Tor 8th: Glaus HR

Tor 8th: Overbay HR (2)

Clubhouse Talk:

"I felt good, I hit my spots all night long. In that 5th inning I was throwing good pitches they were just expecting them and hammering them." - A.J. Burnett, SP

"I had a great night at the plate today, I don't know what it was I just sit hitting everything and it was falling." - Lyle Overbay, 1B

"Hopefully this win will spark the offense from here on." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Lyle Overbay (4-for-5, 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBI)

2. Mark Loretta (3-for-4, 2B, RBI)

3. Coco Crisp (2-for-4, HR, 2 RBI)

standings5ar.th.jpg

Outlook:

Ted Lilly (0-1, 7.20 ERA) will take on Matt Clement (NR). Lilly got roughed up his first start of the season 5 innings. He allowed 4 runs on 8 hits in that span but threw 80 pitches as he was quite wild. Clement is making his first start of the season after having his first turn in the rotation skipped.

Transactions:

None.

Archived