New: Multiple Previews

thr33niL

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i guess i can officially scrap my balentien face. great work! oh well, at least now that life has settled down a bit for me again, i should be able to get back into things this weekend. i'm gonna work on an all time mariners favorite...been meaning to ask you too...do you have any secrets to add texture? or are you just using the sharpen tool?

I try to stay away from sharpening too much. Over sharpening looks horrid. But I do use it every so often. When I do, its usually just on the face that I've added to get it more on an even keel with the base. Makes blending a little bit easier. Other than that, there really isn't any other ways I know of to better the texture.

okay, i took a look at it. constructive, but very minute criticism:

the main thing is the jaw. he looks like eckstein cuz it should be a stronger looking jaw like you already mentioned. the angle of his jaw (mandible needs to be lined up nearly with his neck, like in the pressbox).

secondly, i actually measured and i think the eyes are fine.

also measuring, the nose is a smidge too long. only a few millimeters actually. being so, it makes that area between his nose and upper lip too narrow by also only a few millimeters.

then there's that chin that can also move down just a bit. it's a little too close to the bottom lip.

speaking of lips, the texture of the upper lip too. just look at the ridge above where the lip starts.

then, you can also make the neck just a little longer. you may also wanna add a bit more of a definitive adam's apple.

and lastly the ears. they're too long. using some points of reference. look at your model. the bottom of the ears extend to the top of the upper lips. his pressbox shows that they should only extend to about half way between the nose and upper lip.

at least all of that is just my opinion and i hope it's more helpful than it is over-critical.

Our community Royals expert (Spungo) says my Greinke face looks more like David Eckstein than it does the intended.

So I'm looking to get this face as close as possible before I release it since I've been doing way too much updating of late.

From what I can tell, I maybe able to spread his eyes out a touch and maybe square his jaw a smidge. Other than that, what do you Royal fans see? I just don't see Greinke play or I would be able to make a better assessment.

====================

Will do a little more adjusting and release Billy Butler and Greinke probably tomorrow.

Uh-oh, I didn't want everyone to think I was a jag-off, but now my criticisms are out in the open! Just to let everyone know, I don't think anyone can make the perfect Grienke face, I've seen so many try but there's just something about his face that can't be replicated.

With that said, the side-by-side should help figure out what needs changing. I agree that the nose could use some fixing. Maybe the neck could be made completely vertical, instead of sloping up -- in addition, I think his head should be thin and long, like a rectangle face. Making his lips thinner would be a good idea. And make the ears stick out less? I really don't know. Honestly, I'm just of the belief that it can't be done. The guy just looks so much like a kid... besides, he's in the bullpen and the Royals will probably ruin his talent, so maybe he doesn't need a cyberface anymore...

Maybe this picture can give you a better idea of his face structure when not looking at him head-on:

http://www.zackgreinke.net/greinkewallpaper.jpg

Didn't mean to out you there Spungo. Haha. The whole Royals expert thing wasn't meant to sound that sarcastic. Re-reading it - it does kinda read that way. My bad. Just threw your name out there since you are the biggest Greinke nut I know of. :toothless:

Thanks all for the pointers. Will work with it and see what happens.

wow, i don't envy you at all for doing this one. definitely a tough one to get right. the more i look at his pics, he looks different in all of them! yikes. good luck buddy. if you can't do this one, no one can :)

Didn't mean to out you there Spungo. Haha. The whole Royals expert thing wasn't meant to sound that sarcastic. Re-reading it - it does kinda read that way. My bad. Just threw your name out there since you are the biggest Greinke nut I know of. :toothless:

Thanks all for the pointers. Will work with it and see what happens.

Oh, man, Grienke nut! I love it, although it does sound a bit gay. Wait a minute, now you're calling me gay! You've done enough damage today thr33nil! Just give up, Grienke will forever haunt you -- walk away while you still can!

If you don't heed that warning and continue to go forth into Grienke-modding, take a look at the fabulous job of re-texturing I did on the default EA Grienke face:

untitled6ye5.jpg

This is why I need your help, thr33nil. Without you, Greinke will forever look like a frog-man in my game.

And does it surprise anyone else that I can't make a cyberface to save my life? I really envy you, thr33nil...

Alright. I'm done with this guy. Officially Greinke'd out. Flat tired of looking at this guys mug.

Like it or not, ...here it is.

You know what, I actually really like the final product. You know I only say I like something when I really do, and I am the harshest critic when it comes to my guy, but I really do like this face. Everything from the nose up is just phenomenal -- when I step back and look at the preview picture, it really does look like him. The only problem I could find if I had to find one would be the mouth and below -- maybe it's the jaw shape, or maybe the lips are too thin -- but you know what, I don't even think that matters.

Even though I think the Esteban German is the most realistic face on this website, this Greinke face is my all-time favorite, just because of the difficulty factor.

I'm very impressed with this, really, I honestly thought no one would ever come close. But you, my friend, are very very close. You're the best in the biz, thr33nil, thanks a bunch.

my goodness, you have some serious graphical talent. Your textures are always different than everybody elses, they seem to have a heightened quality that nobody has yet matched.

I'd love to see you expand your horizons and work on teams throughout the league (including the Cubs :lol: ). I guess I'll just have to hope that you trade for a current Cub in your dynasty and feel the need to make him a new face!

I'd love to see you expand your horizons and work on teams throughout the league (including the Cubs :lol: )

or classics :) i'm almost all alone there.

but yes, completely agree. there's just something about your textures that are just different from everyone else's.

I have been whoring out my cyberfaces lately. ;) Did some Royals and a couple Mets. I'm open to requests.

Right now I will probably work on a Noah Lowry. I like doing prospects since they don't get much love. I want to start working on a Travis Buck here soon too. That one will be tough because of the whacky hair. Trevor Crowe is another guy I was asked about.

or classics :) i'm almost all alone there.

but yes, completely agree. there's just something about your textures that are just different from everyone else's.

With the Joey Cora face I saw you do. You have classics covered there homer.

my goodness, you have some serious graphical talent. Your textures are always different than everybody elses, they seem to have a heightened quality that nobody has yet matched.

I'd love to see you expand your horizons and work on teams throughout the league (including the Cubs :lol: ). I guess I'll just have to hope that you trade for a current Cub in your dynasty and feel the need to make him a new face!

May have to give that Theriot guy a look if he keeps kickin' butt. Rich Hill needs one but, good grief, he has the definition of a super smiley portrait.

edit: Was looking at maybe a Samardzija face too.

I'm open to requests.

jhath and I have been extremely busy lately, so we haven't been able to get any Cubs faces done like we had planned. Hopefully, once summer starts we can get going again.

As for requests, I was really happy with how my new Derrek Lee headshape turned out, but I wasn't very happy with my texture. Maybe you could work your magic and create a better one with his pressbox photo (I had a very tough time removing his smile). Also, I don't think I have ever gotten Jacque Jones quite right, maybe you could.

May have to give that Theriot guy a look if he keeps kickin' butt. Rich Hill needs one but, good grief, he has the definition of a super smiley portrait.

Theriot would probably be the easiest. he's not smiling at all in his pressbox and I think I narrowed down a very close headshape, Scott Speizio. jhath and I had planned to do him, but as I stated above, we haven't had any time.

How about some players that really need one: Nick Masset, Tom Mastny, Chris Iannetta, Scott Olsen, Jason Botts. And how about some prospects for ya:

Kevin Slowey, Twins.

Andrew McCutchen, Pirates.

Rob Johnson, Mariners

Andy Sonnanstine, Reid Brignac, Jeff Niemann, JP Howell, Devil Rays.

Eric Hurley, Rangers.

Curtis Thigpen, Jays.

Everyone there has a Pressbox. Obviously, you won't do all of these, but one would be nice. :)

Archived