New: Multiple Previews

thr33niL

I have to give you props for being a Groper hater. I am crossing my fingers they axe this chump asap. Bavasi has made a few dumb moves (Speizio, Aurilia, etc) but nothing to jeopardize the Mariners future.. ie, giving away top prospects. I could live with another year of Bavasi.. but every second Mike 'Dudley' Hargrove is still in the dugout is a second too long. He needs to go like... NOW.

But I have to semi disagree about Joh. I will give you that the pitchers have shown better with Rivera but Felix has been flat out wild a lot this season and you can't blame a catcher if the pitcher can't hit the mit. The only real qualm I have with Joh is his unwillingness to block the plate ever since he got railroaded by Josh Barfield back in interleague play. Ever since then, he side saddles the plate and sweep tags instead of getting between the runner and plate. Makes him look like a real P-word (rhymes with wussy ;) )

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bavasi has done his share of damage. The monster contracts he awarded to Richie, Belly and Washburn have been money down the drain. I know they all still have lots of time to turn it around, but for we should get immediate production for that kind of money.

Also, the Freddy trade was completely bungled. We gave away a #1 starter for Jeremy Reed? It makes me cringe. The Randy Winn trade was ridiculous too. And isn't Bavasi the one who traded Carlos Guillen for Ramon Santiago? I think that deal triggered a chain of events that have produced two (and soon to be three) last place finishes.

I think Bavasi has done his share of damage. The monster contracts he awarded to Richie, Belly and Washburn have been money down the drain. I know they all still have lots of time to turn it around, but for we should get immediate production for that kind of money.

Also, the Freddy trade was completely bungled. We gave away a #1 starter for Jeremy Reed? It makes me cringe. The Randy Winn trade was ridiculous too. And isn't Bavasi the one who traded Carlos Guillen for Ramon Santiago? I think that deal triggered a chain of events that have produced two (and soon to be three) last place finishes.

Most of that falls under the "hindsight is 20/20" clause. Signing Richie and Beltre where terrific deals ..at the time. The Carlos Guillen deal was already in motion when he was hired on, so we can't blame that one on him (Lincoln/Armstrong moronic move). The Washburn deal was pretty bad, but he is actually holding his own compared to our other, more expensive targets at the time (Millwood/Burnett).

The Freddy deal was also a pretty good one ...at the time. Reed was a top prospect, Olivo had all the physical tools to be the next Ivan Rodriguez (but the mind of a gerbal) while Morse was a decent throw in. Who knew all would basically flop.

Like I said, besides the FO being morons, Mike Hargrove is this teams biggest problem. He is a moron to the Nth degree..

BTW, here is my George Sherrill face. Whipped it up in about 15 minutes.. Hope you guys likey.

sherrillpc7.jpg

thr33niL, you are a beast. I love your faces. You and Jogar are the best in the business. I just hope you'll branch out to the rest of the MLB very soon. I have some questions? do you use photoshop? I have the GIMP and I can never create good face textures with the smudge tool. How do you make your textures look so great?

Nice Sherrill face. You can say what you want about Bloomquist but the guy can steal a base when it matters. I'd take him over Jones in CF anyday. After watching Jones swing the bat it is pretty clear he's not going to be a big power guy and his defense is sub par. At least Willie, since he hustles, can cover some ground out there. Jones is fast when he wants to be. All I know is if we are down by 1 run I put Bloomquist in at first base to steal. He'll get there but it doesn't matter because he won't get in and then Mateo will give up a huge bomb and the Mariners will lose their 41st straight game and yet Hargrove is convinced that the last 20 times it was jsut bad luck for Julio. If the Mariners cut him and Piniero I bet no one would pick them up. They're both solid AAA players. So basically the Mariners suck pretty badly now but I still love 'em.

thr33niL, you are a beast. I love your faces. You and Jogar are the best in the business. I just hope you'll branch out to the rest of the MLB very soon. I have some questions? do you use photoshop? I have the GIMP and I can never create good face textures with the smudge tool. How do you make your textures look so great?

Thanks man! Its nice to have someone appreciate your stuff. Yeah, I use Photoshop 7.0. I only use the smudge tool for the tinyest of blending. If you use it in a big area, it will look like crud. The healing and clone tools are a must! I use those more than anything.

Back to cyberfaces.. I probably will work on George Sherrill or Eric O'Flaherty next. Thats right.. the Mariners have another badass reliever about to be promoted. O'Flaherty is destroying minor league hitters. Had something like a 1.14 ERA in AA San Antonio with a great K/BB ratio. He recently got promoted to Tacoma and is killing AAA hitters now. Rumor has it that if they shut Soriano down again, O'Flaherty is on his way up. Stay tuned.

O' Flaherty looked good in his debut tonight. Do happen to know if there are going to be any good starters on their way up? We have a pretty solid bullpen now.

Also great work on the faces!

Nice Sherrill face. You can say what you want about Bloomquist but the guy can steal a base when it matters. I'd take him over Jones in CF anyday. After watching Jones swing the bat it is pretty clear he's not going to be a big power guy and his defense is sub par. At least Willie, since he hustles, can cover some ground out there. Jones is fast when he wants to be. All I know is if we are down by 1 run I put Bloomquist in at first base to steal. He'll get there but it doesn't matter because he won't get in and then Mateo will give up a huge bomb and the Mariners will lose their 41st straight game and yet Hargrove is convinced that the last 20 times it was jsut bad luck for Julio. If the Mariners cut him and Piniero I bet no one would pick them up. They're both solid AAA players. So basically the Mariners suck pretty badly now but I still love 'em.

Ah man King.. They got you drinking the Wee Willie cool-aid too?!

Willie is pretty good defensivley wherever you put him and a good baserunner.

Thats. About. It. :?

As far as Jones is concerned.. He was rushed to the bigs too quick. He needed to stay in AAA where he was on pace to have a great season. Despite what it looks like, he does have good power. He hit 14 jacks before being promoted and now jack *** Grover is benching him. Why in the world would you bring up your #1 offensive prospect and sit him on the bench?? It makes ZERO sense. If you arn't going to play him, send him back to AAA where he can get some more experience.

Fact of the matter is if Boom Boom Bloomquist is our starting CF the rest of the year, we have the worst starting CFer in all baseball, period.

Thanks man! Its nice to have someone appreciate your stuff. Yeah, I use Photoshop 7.0. I only use the smudge tool for the tinyest of blending. If you use it in a big area, it will look like crud. The healing and clone tools are a must! I use those more than anything.

just giving praise where praise was earned. I try to stay away from the smudge tool also. I know GIMP has a clone tool but I'm not sure about a healing tool. Maybe I'll have to start a thread on this and see if someone could make some kind of tutorial. I'm sorry to invade your thread, I just wanted to know what makes your faces so great!

Ah man King.. They got you drinking the Wee Willie cool-aid too?!

Willie is pretty good defensivley wherever you put him and a good baserunner.

Thats. About. It. :?

As far as Jones is concerned.. He was rushed to the bigs too quick. He needed to stay in AAA where he was on pace to have a great season. Despite what it looks like, he does have good power. He hit 14 jacks before being promoted and now jack *** Grover is benching him. Why in the world would you bring up your #1 offensive prospect and sit him on the bench?? It makes ZERO sense. If you arn't going to play him, send him back to AAA where he can get some more experience.

Fact of the matter is if Boom Boom Bloomquist is our starting CF the rest of the year, we have the worst starting CFer in all baseball, period.

it sounds like Bloomquist is the Mariner's version of Neifi Perez :lol:

just giving praise where praise was earned. I try to stay away from the smudge tool also. I know GIMP has a clone tool but I'm not sure about a healing tool. Maybe I'll have to start a thread on this and see if someone could make some kind of tutorial. I'm sorry to invade your thread, I just wanted to know what makes your faces so great!

This thread is pretty all over the place anyway. :p I've actually never used GIMP. I heard its a pretty nice little program.. being free and all.

Might as well keep the thread bouncing. Bloomquist can strand runners just as well as any other M. They can hit fine but put a runner on base and it's like they never played before. Ibanez is about the only consistent performer. Lopez is falling off and I don't know when Sexson is back. Bright side is Johjima and Betancourt. They have certainly exceeded expectations. I like the team offensively but serious pitching is needed. We should just lose every game on the way in and get a good draft pick. I guess they shouldn't even have to try. What is it 10 in a row?

Walla Walla's own Eric O'Flaherty!!

I really wish I could have messed with the headshape a little but being an 04 model, I couldn't. The texture is pretty damn good though, if I do say so myself. :p

Posting it up a little later and I'll throw in the updated portrait.

flahertyes3.jpg

Most of that falls under the "hindsight is 20/20" clause. Signing Richie and Beltre where terrific deals ..at the time. The Carlos Guillen deal was already in motion when he was hired on, so we can't blame that one on him (Lincoln/Armstrong moronic move). The Washburn deal was pretty bad, but he is actually holding his own compared to our other, more expensive targets at the time (Millwood/Burnett).

The Freddy deal was also a pretty good one ...at the time. Reed was a top prospect, Olivo had all the physical tools to be the next Ivan Rodriguez (but the mind of a gerbal) while Morse was a decent throw in. Who knew all would basically flop.

Like I said, besides the FO being morons, Mike Hargrove is this teams biggest problem. He is a moron to the Nth degree..

BTW, here is my George Sherrill face. Whipped it up in about 15 minutes.. Hope you guys likey.

sherrillpc7.jpg

I agree with the Hargrove analysis. Look at the talent he had with the Tribe in the mid 90's. Those teams should have won at least two World Series. He's arguably the worst manager in M's history. The guy has absolutely no baseball IQ. He also has boobs, but that's another subject.

It's hard for me to buy the hindsight is 20/20 theory. Even if Reed was great in the minors, he still wasn't worth Freddy. If Bavasi had a brain, he would have tried to replace Freddy with a pitcher (ie Brandon McCarthy).

I was a big fan of the Beltre signing, not so much Sexson. I thought we should have gone after Delgado. Safeco is built for left handed power hitters. Sexson's numbers are generally deceiving because he has always hit for power. His downside is he strikes out all the time and isn't great at getting on base.

Truth be told, I think the M's should try and deal him for an arm in the off season. Even if Broussard can't hit lefties, he's still a better option than Sexson flailing at three pitches in the dirt.

It seems like Washburn might be coming around, but unless he wins 20 a year, he's not worth that kind of money. It's frustrating as a fan because the M's have no creativity when it comes to improving. They figure if they throw enough money around, something will pan out.

If we're going to suck, I think we're better off building up our farm system and promoting guys within than wasting millions on over priced talent.

But back to the reason for this forum, your two new cyberfaces are unreal. I can't believe it only took you 15 minutes for the Sherrill face. You have a gift. I can't wait to install the new faces.

To be honest I don't think Sexson is that bad. Every team has a guy that is hitting for a low average. The difference is those other guys aren't hitting 25 HR's and 80 some RBI's. The M's offense is not the problem, think about each position and the average's they have. RF - .325, CF doesn't count, LF- .280, 3B-.265, SS-.300, 2B-.270, 1B-.225, C-.295, DH-both are around .300. But then look at ERA's. 4, 5, even 6. I was real glad to see Woods replace Piniero in the rotation.

Finding the perfect 04 headshape is like finding a diamond in a rough. This is very well done, Sherill was good also!

Tell me about it. I really like using the 04 models simply because they are flat out easier/faster to churn out and for some reason, come out a little sharper. But the headshapes are always off in some way.

Appreciate the props there Jogar.

Archived