Show Off Your Desktop!

nc4182

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I find that the best wallpapers for my needs come from NASA. I have a 1920x1080 monitor, so its generally hard to find decent looking wallpaper for me, but NASA's pictures site has photos in very high resolutions. (For example, one I cropped was 4000x6000). All you have to do is use Photoshop to crop and resize these, and it looks great.

The main site would be wincustomize.com

however, There are programs you need to download all avalible for free download via Stardock (google it) has their own website were you can download the free versions of these programs. You dont need a FULL version of all of these programs.

1) OBJECTDOCK- The dockbar at the bottem of my desktop. Easy all you need to do is drag your shortcuts to the bar and voa la.

2) OBJECTBAR- The "mac-like" item at the top of my desktop.

3) ICONPACKAGER- The program that you use to set your basic icons (my computer, my music, etc.)

4) WINDOWSBLINDS- A program that completeley revamps your windows xp skins.

5) MULTIPLUGIN- A Itunes Skin changing program.

6) LOGONSTUDIO- Yet another Stardock program that changes your logon screen.

wincustomize.com is were you get your icons and your logon screens.

deviantart.com is another skin website you can use like wincustomize.

The key to getting all this to work. README FILES. Read them.

The icons i have for the dockbar are avalible through deviantart.com and wincustomize.com To change the icons use winace (recomended) to extract the downloadable icons from deviantart or wincustomize into a new folder. Then you need to change the dock icons by right clicking-dock settings-change icon.

-Nick

PM me with ne more questions or comments !

devaintart does have some pretty sweet looking abstract digitals. As for alcohol it is for burning dvds and cds and creating virtual drives. I prefer daemon tools for the latter and Nero or DVD decryptor for burning. If im wrong about alcohol please correct me. I have it just never use it.

don't advocate the theft of apps guys.

FYI- you don't need iconpackager to change icons. to change any app icon just right click it on the desktop click properties-change icon and browse to icon of choice.

for my docs, my computer icons etc... right click anywhere on dekstop- then click properties- desktop- then at the bottom click customize desktop- this is where you can change icons for those.

for icons just google desktop icons. it's easy.

some of my favorite icon sites:

http://www.pixelgirlpresents.com/

http://www.pixture.com/

http://www.iconfactory.com/

and this site has a few decent ones collected from elsewhere- http://www.iconarchive.com/

almost anything from stardock/ windowsblinds is a resource glutton. if you have to skin your desktop try talisman. it takes up way less resources and really looks good. http://www.lighttek.com/talisman.htm

i no longer mess with that though.

almost everything you guys want to do including- changing icons, boot screens, cursors etc. can be changed already within windows for FREE and without resource hogging external apps.

the exception is skinning the entire system interface/ shell.

RAM,

Explain to me how you use Photoshop in your job? :D

It's still the job that was discussed before, right? :lol::lol:

LOL! yeah... let's just say there's plenty of retouching going on :twisted: .

it takes a lot to get some people looking as good as they do in print vs. what they really look like in the real world.

almost anything from stardock/ windowsblinds is a resource glutton. if you have to skin your desktop try talisman. it takes up way less resources and really looks good. www.lighttek.com/talisman.htm

Thanks for those links RAM. I'm considering changing the look and theme of the desktop. I was looking at getting Stardock, but the themes you can get from Talisman are basically the same and some look better.

Thanks for those links RAM. I'm considering changing the look and theme of the desktop. I was looking at getting Stardock, but the themes you can get from Talisman are basically the same and some look better.

yeah no problem bama. i've tried them all and talisman is really the lightest on the resources and totally customisable. i got tired of messing around with skinning the shell awhile back though and just went back to the standard xp skins. it becomes too time consuming and obsessive after awhile.

anyhow i think if you choose the shell switcher mode it will hide the toolbar or there is an option in there somewhere.

can't believe xp only allows 3 color schemes to choose from...

Archived