Tough Decision-Baseball Cleats

ChicagoCubs720

I'm currently in high school and baseball has become a year-round activity. I bought a pair of Nike baseball cleats in February and about a month ago, the soles of the shoes started to peel off. I've used various glues and athletic tape to keep them together until now but ive decided that it is time for a new pair of cleats. Ived narrowed my search down to 2 cleats:

Adidas

and

Reebok

does anyone have any suggestion on which one I should pick? Im looking for something of good quality so it will last for a while

Off topic here and no fense to hi-jack this thread, but I was wondering how does a player get "spiked." Is the bottom of the shoe that sharp? or is it just a term that is used to explain the bottom of the shoe hitting the player? Thanks.

thanks for the suggestions with Mizuno ill do some more searching, but as for the two ive picked so far, which company, Reebok or Adidas, has more of a reputation for quality?

i've tried addidas and they were nice, also alot of the players use them in my league (15's) so they must be decent

never tried reebok

Off topic here and no fense to hi-jack this thread, but I was wondering how does a player get "spiked." Is the bottom of the shoe that sharp? or is it just a term that is used to explain the bottom of the shoe hitting the player? Thanks.

a player gets spiked usually from getting hit by a sliding player's metal spikes on the bottom of their cleats. even though the spikes arent razor sharp, it still hurts to get hit by them

no, it's that sharp (metal cleats of course). i have a 10 year old scar on my ankle to prove it.

EDIT: as cubs above mentioned, i should have specified they aren't sharp to the touch. but they are enough to make a nice gash.

p><p> <!--url{0}-->

If you look at the metal spikes on these cleats you can see they are not sharp but if say the shortstop covering second is slid into cleat first, he will most likely be cut or have his pants ripped

Being a middle infielder my whole life, it hurts like hell to get spiked. I recently was spiked and it cut my ankle open and has been bruised for over a month. The worst is on steals when the catcher throws it so the 2B/SS has to reach and lean over the sliding runner, therfore stepping right into the path of his spikes.

yeah, but if you're doing it on purpose, it's a good way to get your nose broken too.

Or a concussion from an incoming pitch. I'll tell you, the team I play for know, everyone has everyone's back, if we thought someone spiked one of our teammates on purpose or threw at them at purpose, it would be very painful for the player who wishes to do that. Thats when baseball gets really interesting :x

yeah, but if you're doing it on purpose, it's a good way to get your nose broken too.

I totally agree

my post came off wrong I was saying more along the lines of...

If spiking the SS/2B meant breaking up a double play or getting in safe at second so a base hit will score you then its not a cheap play

although just doing it to hurt someone should get you beat up

I totally agree

my post came off wrong I was saying more along the lines of...

If spiking the SS/2B meant breaking up a double play or getting in safe at second so a base hit will score you then its not a cheap play

although just doing it to hurt someone should get you beat up

fair enough :D

fastflink brought up a good point - i was a P/SS, so i paid close attention to the plays up the middle. if one of my guys said someone went at them in the wrong way, that particular player might as well not bring a bat up next time they hit - cause they're not going to be there long enough to need it.

as for my cleats, i've always had nikes but other friends swear by mizuno - like most things, it's different for everybody.

Ive been spiked before, and in return... not intentionally have spiked someone else. It really happens. In little league, where I played they restricted metal spikes, so it was less likely... but in High school, we wore spikes with metal bottoms, like alot of pros, and when someone puts there speed and weight into a step... you can get cut by the spike on the bottom.

I play CF now so I'm in no danger of getting spiked. Recently, I was involved in a play where I spiked the SS. I was on first and a ground ball was hit to the 2B. He bobbled it but still tried to turn a double play. I was a step from second and the SS had his foot on the bag instead of straddling it. I went in really hard and I spiked him in the ankle just as he was about to recieve the throw. He dropped the ball and I was safe.

the next game we played his team, he pitched. he threw the first two pitches behind me and then he hit me in the hip with a fastball.

I play CF now so I'm in no danger of getting spiked. Recently, I was involved in a play where I spiked the SS. I was on first and a ground ball was hit to the 2B. He bobbled it but still tried to turn a double play. I was a step from second and the SS had his foot on the bag instead of straddling it. I went in really hard and I spiked him in the ankle just as he was about to recieve the throw. He dropped the ball and I was safe.

the next game we played his team, he pitched. he threw the first two pitches behind me and then he hit me in the hip with a fastball.

was he tossed? i'm all for plunking a guy if he deserves it, but a pitcher that needs more than one pitch to do it should pick a new profession. if he has to try more than twice, throw his *** out.

was he tossed? i'm all for plunking a guy if he deserves it, but a pitcher that needs more than one pitch to do it should pick a new profession. if he has to try more than twice, throw his *** out.

he's just obnoxious and he must have had a problem with my style of play: hustling and playing hard all the time. He's just one of those people that thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's all talk, no show.

Archived