trade deadline

willi3

a trade through waivers means that anyone traded from either team can be picked up off waivers.

The way trading during waivers works is that a team puts their player on the waiver wire, and then in reverse order from record, any team can claim that person off of waivers. (normally used when u want to drop a player, b/c u get draft picks if someone picks ur guy off waivers). Therefore, odds are you cant trade a Soriano after the trade deadline b/c he will never made it through waivers (someone will want him). IF they clear waivers, IE go through all the teams from the bottom to your team, then they can be added to a trade.

I hope i explained it well, i just woke up!

Lets say Manny Ramirez is placed on waivers. During the following 3 days, he will be offered to every team. Then, 1 of 2 things can happen:

1) No one claims him and the Red Sox are free to trade him to anyone or keep him but if they place him on waivers again, they can not pull him back

2) A team claims him. The Sox have the option of letting him go to the claiming team and thereby ridding themselves of his salary. They can choose to negotiate a deal with the claiming team for him or they could pull him back and keep him.

If more than 1 team claims him, the team with the worse record becomes the claiming team. If two teams from different leagues claim him and have the same record, the team in the same league as the player being waived holds the claiming rights.

The only thing you get if one of your players is claimed off waivers is a 50,000 waiver fee.

Archived