why 1 finger outside the glove?

mdewals

I play with two different gloves, one when I pitch and one when I play 3rd base. I think it depends on the model of the glove cuz I always have my finger outside the glove I have on when I pitch but not on the one when I play 3rd.

EDIT: Go with what feels more comfortable :)

I actually have two fingers in the pinky slot on my glove, and my middle/index where the middle finger slot would be, so i have a ton of space to absorb any form of impact on my hand with the glove, and the "pocket" is much bigger.

i've never heard anyone do that before, was it wierd at first?

i've never heard anyone do that before, was it wierd at first?

My teacher taught me to do that too. But i do not like to wear the glove this way!!! I like to have more feeling of the ball when it hits my glove!!! That's the point of fielding right??? You want to catch the ball, so obviously you need to suffer some pain from the ball!!!

Yeah, it depends on the individual glove and the pocket as well as how it is broken in. I have done both put the index finger out or slid my fingers over a slot.

My problem I have always had is the pad on hand at bottom of and between the index finger and middle finger. That would get hit and swell up a little, so I would adjust my glove appropriately.

I would have a bigger pocket by sliding fingers over a notch, but sacrifice a little feel. It really depends on your position. If you are a middle infielder, you need a small pocket and more feel. When pitching, I liked a deeper pocket for hiding the ball better. Some gloves also felt better weight-wise for providing a certain balance for pulling through my motion.

Basically thats where the ball will usually make contact. And if it's a hot shot it hurts like an SOB :D

Thats why I do it. I made that mistake. When you're at short and get a liner coming your way and it hits that finger, it gets smushed and it feels like it will turn red and start throbbing like in the cartoons. With the finger out when the ball hits the finger will move back instead of getting smushed between the ball and mitt.

I actually have two fingers in the pinky slot on my glove, and my middle/index where the middle finger slot would be, so i have a ton of space to absorb any form of impact on my hand with the glove, and the "pocket" is much bigger.

I hold mine the same way. It felt wierd at first, but now it feels natural, and it helps a ton.

Archived