perfect game clarification

mdewals

Ok dont think I'm stupid but I need some clarification on some terms.

correct me if I'm wrong

shut-out = opposing team reaches bases but dont score and this can be achived with multiple pitchers

no-hitter = opposing team hits the ball but are trown out before reaching first base. Can only be achived with starting pitcher, when subbed, no-hitter is "gone".

Perfect game = starting pitcher strikes out every single batter that comes up. No walks either.

am I right or did i miss something??

Shutout-The opposing team can reach base as many times but if it doesnt score in the 9 innings then its a shutout

No Hitter- Other team can reach base but only by a walk or an error and if they dont get an official hit in the 9 innings then its a no hiiter

Perfect Game- The other team doesnt reach base through the whole game

no hitter- means the opposing team got zero hits, they can be walked or reach base on errors and can even score, just as long as they have no hits.

perfect game-opposing team gets no hits, and never reaches base. meanig the pitcher doesnt allow a hit, a walk, or a reached on error. 27 up 27 down. He doesnt have to strike everyone out.

In baseball and softball, a no-hit game (more commonly known as a no-hitter) refers to a contest in which at least one of the teams has prevented the other from getting an official hit during the entire length of the game, which must be at least 9 innings (27 outs) by the current Major League Baseball definition.

A pitcher who prevents the opposing team from achieving a hit is said to have "thrown a no-hitter." The achievement of a no-hitter is rare and considered to be an extraordinary accomplishment for a pitcher or pitching staff. In most cases in the professional game, no-hitters are accomplished by a single pitcher who throws a complete game.

Labeling a game as a no-hitter does not imply that the opposing team has not reached base, since it is quite possible to reach base without a hit. Thus a no-hitter does not imply a shutout, and although it is extremely uncommon, it is possible for a pitcher to throw a no-hitter and yet lose the game (see Ken Johnson). The special case of a no-hitter in which the other team has not reached base at all (in which a pitcher pitches a complete game that lasts a minimum of nine innings) is called a perfect game. A perfect game is by definition a shutout, a victory, and also a no-hitter.

mdewals... yes, you are wrong in all the definitions.

Shutout is an stat valid only for a pitcher who complete a game and the other team doesn't score.

No hitter is an achievement which means that in an entire game, the opposing team didn't conect a hit (it can be achieved by many pitchers).

Perfect Game is when a pitcher plays a complete game and the other team didn't reach a base. Not when a pitcher strikes out 27 batters (the actual record is in 20).

All these things can be named "combined" when more than one pitcher is in it. But only counts as an stat when just one pitcher made it.

By the way, I've never seen a combined perfect game, and I will never see it I think.

By the way, I've never seen a combined perfect game, and I will never see it I think.

The only way for this to happen would be if the pitcher got injured during the game, because neither the coach nor the pitcher wants to give up the chance at the perfect game.

The only way for this to happen would be if the pitcher got injured during the game, because neither the coach nor the pitcher wants to give up the chance at the perfect game.

I think it depends on the score during the game.

if in a NL game and score 0 - 0 in the 8th or 9th and there's a runner on 2nd or 3th with 1 or 2 outs and the pitcher is up and is a known crap hitter.

Sure its sad for the pitcher to not finish the game but a pinch hitter could bat in the go ahead run.

Then again, that also depends on the "need" of winning the game. If playoff spot is already secured or out of reach a win wouldnt matter much so its worth taking a risk.

I think it depends on the score during the game.

if in a NL game and score 0 - 0 in the 8th or 9th and there's a runner on 2nd or 3th with 1 or 2 outs and the pitcher is up and is a known crap hitter.

Sure its sad for the pitcher to not finish the game but a pinch hitter could bat in the go ahead run.

Then again, that also depends on the "need" of winning the game. If playoff spot is already secured or out of reach a win wouldnt matter much so its worth taking a risk.

Well, there is kind of a twist on that because, if it is in bottom of the 9th, and the pitcher is pinch hit for, and the winning run scores, since no other pitcher came in for the winning team, it should be a complete game, perfect game, yeah?

I am going to look at the rules now, to see if I am correct, but I think I am.

EDIT: To quote Bob Uecker: Ch***, I can't find it. The hell with it.

Shutout: The opposing team dos not score.

No-Hitter: The opposing team does not get a basehit. Walks and errors do not count as hits.

Perfect game: The opposing team does not get a hit, or a walk. Runners reaching on errors don't count.

Well, there is kind of a twist on that because, if it is in bottom of the 9th, and the pitcher is pinch hit for, and the winning run scores, since no other pitcher came in for the winning team, it should be a complete game, perfect game, yeah?

I am going to look at the rules now, to see if I am correct, but I think I am.

EDIT: To quote Bob Uecker: Ch***, I can't find it. The hell with it.

bottom of the 9th, your right but I should have added top of the 9th ;)

My bad :oops:

Perfect game: 27 up 27 down. With nobody reaching base. A guy who singled but got thrown out at 2nd also ends the perfect game although it is still just 27 batters up.

is that, if he hits it and runs to second right away or if he gets on first base and then gets picked off at second??

is that, if he hits it and runs to second right away or if he gets on first base and then gets picked off at second??

The prefect game ends the minute the batter/runner touches first safely, because he is credited with a single, whether he is thrown out trying to stretch it to a double, or if he is thrown out at second during the next at bat (caught stealing/double play).

Archived